Type keyword(s) to search

Dragon's Den (Canada) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just realized that the new season has started and my PVR hasn't been taping. 😡

Anyway, catching up online. Hopefully others are watching. 

Season 18 Episode 1

The Spa Dragon: Prevents your hut tub from completely freezing up. Pitcher says he gets 3-5 calls a week to deal with this problem, so he invented somethign to prevent the irreversible damage. He wanted too much money.  No deal.

One Second Plumber: Company's been around for 25 years, but was never marketed a lot. A canister that eliminates a clogged drain in seconds. Son is looking to blow it up now. Arlene offers them 500K for the company and a 3% royalty for 10 years. They take it.

Swift Hockey: 20 year-old young man with Jamaican heritage, manufacturers hockey sticks that resist breaking. He's doing very well and accepts Wes' deal. Good for him!

Rolla Skate Club: Old school roller skating location where you have groups roller skate workouts along with some corporate events. They want to franchise, but they are not profitable yet. No deal.

Lux Aerobot: Balloons that float 20km high in the sky with thermal cameras.  Use images and AI to predict where wildfires will go next. Really interesting with a lot of potential. They accept Robert's deal.

Edited by aemom
Typo
8 minutes ago, aemom said:

One Second Plumber: Company's been around for 25 years, but was never marketed a lot. A canister that eliminates a clogged drain in seconds. Son is looking to blow it up now. Arlene offers them 500K for the company and a 3% royalty for 10 years. They take it.

Arlene got a deal. It's a brilliant product.

• Like 1

So glad the show is back, as well as the recaps and postings here!

I just had to comment on a couple of the pitches from tonight's show. First of all the epoxy garage floors. They have been around for years. I am surprised that at least one of the Dragons doesn't already have a floor like this in their garage(s). We know several people who do, and my hubby who is a now retired general contractor said that two of his employees did one years ago for someone's garage, without any special training. These floors are neither special or new. 

The lubricated tampons really had me stumped. I can't imagine anyone carrying around the lubricant in the container. And I have heard this type of pitch before about a 13 year old girl using a tampon for the first time. I got my period at 12, and didn't use a tampon for at least a couple of years. It wasn't a big deal. And honestly, if you want to lubricate it, just use a lube already on the market. But in reality, if your flow is enough that you want to use a tampon, you don't need a lubricant. Seemed like a solution in search of a problem, and I was shocked that Arlene was so taken with it, and them! 

I've caught up on more episodes.  Things that I recall:

The good:

The harness for construction workers.  Very cool! I loved it.

The cake in the greeting card was brilliant! What a great idea and perfect execution. 

The dragonfly on the hats! I learned something new about dragonflies and was happy to see an entrepreneur with a very reasonable ask and a great product get all the dragons.

The ok:

The musical animals and puzzles. They were really nice, but not as amazing (to me), as others seemed to find them.

Snowplow guy. He's got something going, but he's not there yet.

The not-so good:

The tampons. I find that if you use a plastic applicator, it's never much of a problem, but honestly the removal is often worse, and this does nothing for that. I just don't see this making it.

Condom lady. Michelle and Arlene are right. She needs a subscription model to be more successful. 

Proud Diamond: I felt that they were overly harsh with her.  I personally think that the Dragons are probably somewhat snobby when it comes to luxury items and resent the idea that someone could have something that looks the same for less.

Spatula: They were all falling over themselves to make a deal, but honestly I would not spend this much money on a frozen bag of food to heat up - I don't care who cooked it.  Also - I felt that their valuation was much too high based on what they had earned so far.  I was puzzled by all of this.

Vanpackers: I often don't agree with Manjt, but I also thought that the units looked very bare bones and seemed pricey for the cost. He was so gung-ho on keeping up the van rental side of the business and then was called back at the last minute by Michele when he agreed that he'd be willing to let that slide. I wonder if that deal panned out in the end, because he seemed very reluctant when Vince asked him the same thing earlier.

• Like 1