Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Chapter Ten

• Start Topic

1478x832.webp

The family reunites with a loved one and confronts a harsh reality. Solomon makes a discovery that could prove beneficial.

Premiere Date: August 30, 2024      Apple TV+

Pachinko_Photo_020207.jpg

Poor Isak. After everything they went through, Sunja and the boys only got him back for a few hours before he died. That whole sequence was painful 😭😭😭

Wow, so it was the pastor that sold him out and not Hansu? Color me shocked. Hansu is still a scumbag, though. I don’t buy that he couldn’t have used his influence to get Isak out of prison sooner.

• Like 1
(edited)

I guess the motivation was to get Sunja to leave the place they were at before the bombers came, so he got Sunja to promise to leave the city with or without Isak.

Isak rescued Sunja and Noa from being ostracized and being abandoned for having a child out of wedlock.

But Hansu made sure she and her sons survived?  We still don’t see Noa or Hansu in the 1989 timeline so we don’t know what happens to them.

Adding more comments on the episode, in the 1989 timeline, Solomon is desperate, first begs his former boss for mercy and then goes to the old Korean woman whose land he advised her not to sell in season 1.

According to some recaps, in season 1, she didn't want to sell her property for 1 billion yen.  We're talking almost $7 million dollars in today's money, probably much more if adjusted for inflation.

I don't recall why she didn't want to sell.  Probably the land was worth a lot more than she was being offered?  Yet in this episode she complains about not having enough to feed the dog and she seems to have a very modest life or standard of living.

The other thing is like a lot of other Koreans of her age who'd lived in Japan all her life, she went through all kinds of deprivation and racism.

Maybe even 1 billion yen wouldn't allow her to buy a nice property in Tokyo, which has a very high cost of living and housing costs?  In the '80s, Japan's economic power was at it's peak, with fears that the Japanese were going to buy up a lot of properties in the US -- IIRC they bought the famous Pebble Beach golf course around this time.

I don't recall why Solomon advised her not to sell or why she asked him if he honestly would advise her to sell.

Yet in this episode, she apparently agrees to sell for $1.4 billion, which is around $9.6 million, again, not even inflation-adjusted.

So that plot from season 1 was for nothing, just putting Solomon in desperate straits?

Now, Solomon not only gets a big windfall, he gets a chance to screw over Abe-san, the guy who admits to hurting Solomon out of spite.

But why should that make the old woman change her mind about selling now?

Also, maybe it doesn't end with them ripping off Abe-san, who would be unable to build on a site where soldiers were buried, making his property holdings worthless.

Maybe the guy will try to get revenge on Solomon and the old woman.

Edited by aghst
19 hours ago, aghst said:

I guess the motivation was to get Sunja to leave the place they were at before the bombers came, so he got Sunja to promise to leave the city with or without Isak.

Isak rescued Sunja and Noa from being ostracized and being abandoned for having a child out of wedlock.

But Hansu made sure she and her sons survived?  We still don’t see Noa or Hansu in the 1989 timeline so we don’t know what happens to them.

Hansu is still a scumbag. And the way he got Sunja to agree just reeks of manipulation. Let’s not pretend his motives are altruistic when he clearly has his own designs on Sunja and Noa.

Sure he got her pregnant, told her he can't marry her.

But he has been taking care of her and it appears as if people are desperate to get out of the city because the bombers are coming and he's going to make sure Sunja and her sons are able to get out.

Unless he plans to take her as his wife if his wife dies or something, what would be his motive?

He could have abandoned her long before she even gets to Japan.

Ohmygosh, I’m emotionally drained. That was both the most heart wrenching and the most beautiful thing I’ve seen in a long time. The acting and the direction were superb. 

• Like 2