Type keyword(s) to search

Paris 2024 Paralympic Games

• Start Topic

(edited)

Wed, Aug 28, 2024 – Sun, Sep 8, 2024

Not sure who's able to watch the Paris 2024 Paralympics, I realize in some aces there isn't much coverage, alas. But NBC is supposed broadcasting in the USA. I'll check on where.

If youre in another country, will you be watching and if so, please post how and where so others can join in!

Paris ain't over yet baby! 

Edited by surfgirl
  • Love 3

Here is what found for US-based viewers:

"In the United States, all events from the Paris 2024 Paralympics will be available to stream on the Peacock app, while live coverage will air on NBC, CNBC, and USA Network.

This is a somewhat historic year for coverage when it comes to the Paralympics, because for the first time, NBC will be putting multiple hosts on the ground to cover the event in real time. Sports commentator Andrea Joyce and 2016 Paralympic track and field athlete Lacey Henderson will host the broadcast, while other anchors will commentate from a studio in the United States.

Meanwhile, according to NBC Sports, Peacock will act as the “most comprehensive Paralympic destination in U.S. media history,” with more than 1,500 hours of live coverage of the Paralympic Games. There will be 22 sports featured at the Paralympics."

ADDITIONAL PLACES TO WATCH:

Paralympics Youtube Channel:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi8n36NkW2uCQSFZNiYtuMQ

International Paralympic Committee site:https://www.paralympic.org/

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

Only one week to go until the Paralympics begin!

Should we just post in the event threads for the Paris Olympics? Like, we just use the Basketball thread for Para Basketball? 

What do you all think? 

• Applause 1
1 hour ago, wanderingstar said:

Watching the Paralympic Opening Ceremony now, and it's incredible! The torch relay alone is breathtaking!

We've taped it and are watching tonight but the images look amazing!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Do I really have to go into the non-paralympic threads to see stuff about paralympic games? Some of the sports don't have analogs, either.

45 minutes ago, wanderingstar said:

It'd be great if we could get a separate topic for the Paralympics.

You can DM a mod or the CM to create them but by the time they see it and set it up, it might be too late. In the meantime, why not just use the corresponding Olympic threads, and if it's a sort that is not in the ympics you can create a new thread for it? 

17 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I liked this opening ceremony better than the other one.

Other than the river parade of athletes, whixh I loved, I also enjoyed this Opening better. It was more succinct, and had a strong message that remained on point. I will say all the large dance sequences went way too long and the music felt very repetitive to me, but hings like the modern dance by the South African dancers on crutches qaa incredible and really opened my eyes to how beautiful that can be. I've never seen that before.

Fav part was paying homage to the Olympic flame! I don't ever remember any other Olympics or Paralympics doing that before and it was a great idea. Loved when the Olympic flame left the stage to go light the cauldron and all tbe other smaller flames gathered together and followed it, that was a spectacular image. And thr lighting of the balloon cauldron seemed alotnof dramatic when it was lit, compared to the Olympic version. This one sort of erupted whereas the Olympic version sputtered into existence. 

• Like 1

Watched the wheelchair rugby match between the USA and Canada this afternoon. My main exposure to the game is through the "Murderball" movie that came out in 2005, and that movie made it look a lot more violent than today's game actually turned out to be.

There were a few times that the game stopped because someone's wheelchair capsized, and I was annoyed that the cameras didn't show us what happened or anything about the process of getting back upright. They would cut away really fast and just have the commentator say there was an equimpenmt time out, but they would not say what happened or who it happened to, and they didn't show it. Sometimes it seemed like someone's wheel needed to be replaced, other times that someone was actually totally knocked over and lying on the floor, but they tried to show and tell as little as possible of what happened, and it was frustrating. 

When noodisabled athletes have injuries or other mishaps in play, they always talk baout it, show it. and do follow up (is the person okay, etc). I thought it was really ableist and obnoxious that they didn't do the same in this event.

I was very impressed by how well the players were able to throw and then catch the ball with one hand, though. I realize people pass balls in a lot of games, but I imagine it takes a lot of hand strength to catch one that size in one hand and not drop it-- the ball looks too big for that, to my eye!

Also, I hadn't realized this before, but the sport is played in a co-ed (mixed gender) way. The USA team has 1 female player. 

I don't really understand all the rules, though. There seemed to be 3 different kinds of timeouts, and the way the ball turns over was unclear to me. Also, something about who scores the last goal? I need to look the rules up somewhere. There wasn't really any explaining going on at all. The commenters were mostly just chattering about whether the play was sloppy or good, and sometimes saying the name of whoever scored a goal. 

There was also music in the background. I couldn't tell if they actually play with music or if that was something the broadcasters added. I found it annoying, either way.

Also, sometimes they would have a huge graphic on the screen, showing things like which countried ranked in what order in previous games, and at one point it was covering the goal box while a play was going on there. So I couldn't see the goal being scored. That is some really shitty camera work!

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

The tv coverage is fubar. The listings say one sport will be broadcast at a particular time but at that time they will be showing something totally different. Frustrating.

The USA-Germany rugby game coverage was slightly better than the USA-Canada game-- they showed a little more of what was happening and didn't cover up any goals with on-screen graphics, but they still have a lot of room for improvement. 

I also watched some Goalball-- loved it. The ball has a bell inside it, and the players are wearing goggles that blind them completely (all are fully blind or partially sighted but they level the playing field with the blackout glasses). The crowd is required to be totally quiet during play, so the players can hear the ball.

3 from each team, who both throw the ball and guard their goal. I guess it's sort of like soccer, except that hands are allowed, though the entire body is used to block, and the players mostly stay on their side of the court, near the net.

I'm watching random games of random sports because the listings are compoletely inaccurate as to what will be shown at any given time. I really wanted to see the archery, but when I tuned in for that, no archery was to be seen.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I switched to Peacock for the archery. I hate the music they have in the background. Why do they do that? Do they do that in the non-disabled Olympic coverage? I might watch with the sound turned off. All they do is say the score (which I can see on the screen) and babble meaninglessly to fill space. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

To be honest, fir the Olympics I mainly watched on network channels and recorded everything I wanted to watch so I didn't use Peacock that much, though the NBC Equestrian commentating ducked so I checked Peacock and it was different commentating and they were great. 

For the Paralympics I've mainly been watching via Peacock so I can watch the entire events. I tried watching The Gold Zone tonight and that gives an overview but at times they have 6 small screens going and you're hearing one but it's tiny, why do that?!? Tonight I wanted to watch swimming in its entirety so I'm on Peacock and the commentating is very good. 

I hope that Paris still has their Medal Zone thing going because that was such a great addition for the athletes and fans to celebrate together!

Edited by surfgirl
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

I agree with the scheduling being bad, I was very frustrated with the Olympic coverage with the scheduling being messed up.  I've been trying to follow the men's wheelchair basketball and its been difficult.  Currently watching the gold medal wheelchair rugby and it is fascinating.  

• Like 2
(edited)

One thing I'm noticing with the Oaralympic events is that the venue hyper uppers are doing a fantastic job getting the crowd ampes up to crazy levels! Sunday I was watching T&F and Teo American runners who got gold and silver in tbe Men's 100.m were asked what it wa like to be in the Stade de France and they said it was the largest crowd they'd ever competed in front of, and hiw amazing the vibe was, which just made me so happy to hear! 

Also Phryge is everywhere, dancing and hamming it up for the crowds and they're loving it, amazing energy!

Edited by surfgirl
  • Love 1

Thank you for posting that video above, what a great recap of the Paralympic Games! Hopefully next time we'll have more posters, because it's even more inspiring than the Olympics!

• Love 2