Type keyword(s) to search

Forbidden Love - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm just watching my recording and I am seeing red flags with Laurie and Eli. At first, I just didn't see how they could get engaged after meeting in rehab. Addicts tend to perseverate on what they "want" in the moment, and can't see reason. Eli was so outraged at his ccousin's input ecause she told Laurie she doesn't have to convert, especially if she's only doing it for him. He couldn't understand why this was the right advice.

Converting to Judaism is deliberately difficult, particularly Orthodox.  Like others, I don't think her heart is in it, and frankly, he's all about the letter of the rules and not the spirit of the rules.  And you're right, do they live together?  

The Muslim-Catholic couple with an adorable child: I hate to call it, but I'm calling it doomed.  That's a rerun of Nicole and Mahmood, and he gives me the same "I'm going to lose it" vibes.  Her heart isn't in it, and they are going to constantly fight over how to raise *his* daughter, who, of course, has to be *his* religion. That's before you throw in family conflict.

The Amish-English couple would irritate me even without the religion conflict. Underneath that religious conflict is a man-child who hasn't grown up, and his wife called it, she will be Mommy to the baby and to  him.  I'd probably be in big trouble in her shoes; I'd ask him that if Jesus deliberately sought out people of different faiths and ethnic backgrounds, isn't "shunning" the exact opposite of His example?

The Muslim lady with her Christian boyfriend seem like nice folks, but why does he even string her along?  He's never going to get out from his overbearing parents (and I would have hated that pushiness, too), and thus he will never convert and they are doomed.  He just doesn't want to face either of them and so he'll try to put it off, wasting everyone's time.

• Like 6

I don't think Elmer's family belongs to as strict community as he says.  When he put on the shirt to visit his parents, he said his mother had made it for him years before.  I call foul. That shirt had buttons.  Strict Amish communities do not use anything "worldly".  That includes curtains in the windows, and buttons on their clothes.  They use straight pins or hooks and eyes.  My family lives a few miles away from on Old World community.  When I went to the Amish store, the lady was all "dressed in her Sunday best" because she  was going to a wedding.  She had straight pins down the front of her dress where we would have buttons.  They were perfectly straight and perfectly spaced.  Either Elmer's family lives in a more contemporary community, or the production staff is making stuff up.  If they do live in a less restrictive community Elmer would not have as much trouble meeting with them.

Wow, no comments here?  I got to the end of the season.  Elmer and his wife are getting a divorce.  The wife in the muslim/ catholic couple converted in a forced way.  The Catholic gal passed her jewish conversion test.  They got married and pregnant already.  The other couple broke up.  The Muslim girl was nasty. 

• Like 5
On 9/12/2024 at 10:14 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

Wow, no comments here?  I got to the end of the season.  Elmer and his wife are getting a divorce.  The wife in the muslim/ catholic couple converted in a forced way.  The Catholic gal passed her jewish conversion test.  They got married and pregnant already.  The other couple broke up.  The Muslim girl was nasty. 

I don’t know that Muslim girl was nasty.  If her beau was texting other women and she was putting herself on the line with her family and trying to reconcile the two positions, she had every right to be oissed off that he was texting anyone else.  The Pentecostal guy was all in her face about accepting his dad’s intrusion in her life.  Yeah, he said he was upset, but what did he do about it?  Nothing.

I also found the Orthodox Jewish fellow a little too strident and controlling.  My college roommate is a rabbi, second career.  He wants her to abide by all the rules, but I know from my rabbi friend that his tattoo sleeve is a violation of orthodox law, so he hasn’t a leg to stand on with her conversion.

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/tattooing-in-jewish-law/

Edited by b2H
  • Like 2
59 minutes ago, b2H said:

I don’t know that Muslim girl was nasty.  If her beau was texting other women and she was putting herself on the line with her family and trying to reconcile the two positions, she had every right to be oissed off that he was texting anyone else.  The Pentecostal guy was all in her face about accepting his dad’s intrusion in her life.  Yeah, he said he was upset, but what did he do about it?  Nothing.

I also found the Orthodox Jewish fellow a little too strident and controlling.  My college roommate is a rabbi, second career.  He wants her to abide by all the rules, but I know from my rabbi friend that his tattoo sleeve is a violation of orthodox law, so he hasn’t a leg to stand on with her conversion.

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/tattooing-in-jewish-law/

His tattoos are a violation, but he is observant now (although I don't think he was being fully kosher about premarital sex before she converted).  Once the tattoos are there, what is going to happen?  He wanted to come back to religious practice after time away.  He will be accepted.  He's not a convert.  (I am nonpracticing Jewish.)  There are a lot of other things to object to in that story.  He is indeed strident and controlling.  They are both recovering addicts, and they are clinging to each other for dear life.

As for the Muslim girl, I have to say I didn't watch closely or skipped a lot of their segments.  So I see what you observed.  Still, she was unpleasant to listen to at the end. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
9 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Still, she was unpleasant to listen to at the end. 

Yeah, she came off as if she was just looking for an excuse to end it. I don’t think she was truly ready to be separated from or in conflict with her family, so the first thing he did wrong, she was ready to pounce and blow up and call it all off.  I don’t think she expected him to actually move and go against his family.  If she didn’t want to go through with the relationship, she should have just said so.  She was totally back to doing exactly what Daddy said at the end. Good luck with that. It hasn’t worked for her so far. I don’t know, but his explanation sounded reasonable to me. A random woman DM’d through his social media, not that he had given anyone his number to text. 

Regardless, her suddenly screaming at him “You a thug” and “You a hoe” rubbed me the wrong way. It came off as very performative and not genuine to me.  That’s not language she likely normally uses and was throwing out at him specifically. I side-eyed her for that. 

Edited by KBrownie
  • Applause 1
On 9/12/2024 at 7:14 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

Thanks for the final info.  For some reason, all I can find is reruns and have not seen the final episode.  You said in one paragraph what it takes TLC several weeks to say.  I wish the Jewish convert girl good luck.  She came across as taking her conversion very seriously.

2 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Thanks for the final info.  For some reason, all I can find is reruns and have not seen the final episode.  You said in one paragraph what it takes TLC several weeks to say.  I wish the Jewish convert girl good luck.  She came across as taking her conversion very seriously.

By coincidence, I saw on Reddit today that Laurie and Eli had a baby boy and had a bris.  Seems to have been very recent. 

I hope "I Love a Mama's Boy" is better.  Starts again tonight.  Sister Wives has been a bust.  About two minutes of new content per episode--maybe not that much.  I'm losing patience with the 90 Days franchises.  Too many of them.