Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E2: Rent and Reputations

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, ZettaK said:

Yes, Gina overreacted. But she doesn't live beyond her means. She received a settlement from her divorce, and she bought a 1700 square foot townhouse with it (I just saw this, I mean the size of the house) at an average neighborhood- she doesn't live in Newport Beach for example. She also has a high salary from Bravo after seven years as a HW, and I'm sure her ex husband pays some child support. She now has a career, as well. I assume she is thinking of the future, and all her kids are older, so she can do it. She doesn't have an expensive car, or wear expensive clothes. I only saw her after years on the show having two smaller designer bags.

Gina also was the one who when newly separated, dropped charges after her ex smacked her around because she wanted him to be able to keep working (aka pay her support bills). Good example for her kids, hey son, don’t worry, beat your partners and stupid women will let you get off as long as you make a lot of money. And hey girls, as long as he says he’s sorry and keeps writing checks, don’t make it hard for him, just get a band aid. Gina can buzz off with her preaching. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, hottesthw said:

Gina also was the one who when newly separated, dropped charges after her ex smacked her around because she wanted him to be able to keep working (aka pay her support bills). Good example for her kids, hey son, don’t worry, beat your partners and stupid women will let you get off as long as you make a lot of money. And hey girls, as long as he says he’s sorry and keeps writing checks, don’t make it hard for him, just get a band aid. Gina can buzz off with her preaching. 

I'm not going to punish Gina for this. Having such a horrible experience in such a public way isn't the best environment for making snap decisions. She had to balance wanting the legal process to occur with her need to keep her kids' lives from being completely upended. My recollection was that the season was filming at the time that incident occurred. Gina only gets paid during the season, so having her ex working during the off-season may have been of critical importance so that her kids were cared for. At the time she didn't have a career path or know how she was going to support her family, which might explain a decision made out of fear. In a perfect world, you'd want every woman to be able to NOT have to choose her family's short-term survival over taking that moral stand, but in practice, not every woman feels like they can do that. I'm happy that it all worked out for her, and I don't think she should be shamed for not having full and complete faith that she could figure a way out.

• Like 10
5 hours ago, Rlb8031 said:

and I don't think she should be shamed for not having full and complete faith that she could figure a way out.

Nor should she publicly shame another woman on national tv for handling her crumbling life the best she could. Gina had more than enough resources she could have fallen back on despite not having a “career”. Move out of the OC, go to Walmart and get a job, move back with your parents. She was hardly a damsel in distress with no other options. She is part of the reason the system fails so many women who are abused by their partners. 

• Like 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, hottesthw said:

Nor should she publicly shame another woman on national tv for handling her crumbling life the best she could.

The difference is that Jenn ISN'T handling her life the best she could. Instead of prioritizing stability for her kids, she rented a house she couldn't afford, leased a car she couldn't afford, and has now moved them into a house with a man when she doesn't even know how he makes a living.

She's financially irresponsible, which was Gina's point. While Gina sacrificed for her kids, Jenn refuses to scrimp on life's luxuries and just expects everyone to bail her out. 

Edited by snarts
  • Like 5
  • Applause 4