Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: I Do (Part I)

• Start Topic

Spencer and Olivia are focused on pulling off the perfect wedding weekend; Jordan considers a new job offer, and his and Layla's search for a new home takes an unexpected turn; Laura and Grace go head-to-head to see who can write the best speech.

This episode sort of felt like filler, which isn't that surprising when it's a two-parter and the wedding doesn't happen until the conclusion.  (Ideally they would have shown it all together, not as a lead-in for a show they care about so much that they slashed the budget and still cancelled it before the premiere.)  I'm glad that in spite of all the omens, there isn't a threat to Spencer and Olivia's relationship or anything.  I liked Grace's speech and how she and Laura decided to work together. 

Obviously they're trying to set up some of season 7 with Preach, Amina, the unseen Deion and the new coach.  I'm guessing that Jordan and Layla might stick around unless something changes in the other episode.  That would explain why he didn't go to the NFL when Spencer did and now won't because of a new concussion.

I'm guessing that, wherever the wedding ends up now, the delayed guests will appear (especially since the trailer gave away the appearance of the highest-budget one).  I'm glad Patience is still in the picture for Coop.  But after years of thinking Jaymee would die and then finally concluding they had been kind enough not to go that route, I'm unsure after the way Asher was acting when he gave Layla the advice about the house and how she and Jordan have each other.  I hope not, because that would be an unnecessary downer!  He'd probably be more depressed still though, so maybe they just didn't need her in this episode.  We don't need single dad Asher in season 7.

I wonder if the Vegas-themed bachelor & bachelorette parties were supposed to be a nod to when Spencer declared his love and he and Olivia first kissed.  They couldn't really draw too much attention to it though without dredging stuff up for Liv and Layla, although I'm sure they're both over it, but that's probably why it was done.

• Like 2

So much TV trope and silliness.  'Twas ever thus.  It seemed to me, as well, that this ep wasn't planned out well.  The stories/arcs moved just fine.  The various interactions were just bad.

What was Spence wearing that Bobcat jacket on his trip home about?  It was laughable. 

It's also laughable that Jordan risked coming back knowing a single concussion could bring severe consequences.  Then, he doesn't have one until the title game?  So nowwwwwwwww, he really means it.  He's done.  A Heisman favorite who already made a highly questionable decision before he was established as anything special, achieves unreal  success, and shuts it down.  Yeah, right.

One thing they got really right was the by-play between the moms.  The "challenge:" was silly.  But, there was not one moment where there was any genuine enmity.   They were great friends throughout.  Grace's words were well done, but perhaps a little on the selfish side - making it about her a tad too much.  But, the sentiment intended was wonderful.

I also liked Coop in this ep.  That's the person she always was when she was practically Spencer's sister.  Their scenes were a great reflection of the deep understanding, and yes, love only they could ever understand.  There has been an undeniable chemistry between Bre-Z and Daniel from the jump.

So now Layla's is an icon of the community?   Whatever happened to Ryan?  Did he ever formally separate from that joint?  

I am not looking forward to Dillon, the modern-day Harry Bailey, making it home just in time despite a bad Eastern storm.  Will there be any bells ringing?  Will that signal that Billy Baker got a Bobcat Super Bowl ring?

• Like 2

Five months after the Super Bowl is training camp and while they did make a passing mention of camp, second-year player Spencer would not have made that decision (I don’t know if Spencer Paysinger is married, so color me silly if he did get married in July).

I also wondered about the absence of Jaymee and nary a mention of the small child.  It will be weird if she is not at the wedding and they just ignore it.

• Like 2

An article from People Magazine says that Spencer Paysinger got married in May 2016, when he was with the Dolphins.  He did meet his wife at Beverly Hills High School, so that makes like five things from the show that are like his real life!  The article said that he did submit stories to the producers about his life, but then of course they take "liberties."  I didn't realize that in the early seasons, he played one of the assistant coaches.

• Useful 1

The first dance was awesome.  

I don't get how Superbowl mvp couldn't make a call to get somewhere to get married in a blink but ok.  They act like he's still can walk around with no pap or press or media following. 

Nice ending to Coop, Spencer, olivia.

• Like 2