Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E05: Auditions 5

• Start Topic

Are the auditions over yet? 

Nope. (There's at least one more after this, too.)

The auditions continue as variety acts featuring contestants of all ages audition for the chance to win $1 million; there are more golden buzzers than ever before, each sending a lucky act directly to the live shows to compete for America's vote.

They could at least be a little more creative with the episode descriptions, no?

Owl Man: Starting the night off stupid, I see. I have no idea what was so hilarious about the TT Brothers. Am I missing something? The first 15 minutes of this episode was an utter waste of time.

"I'm half Swedish and half English"...cue two girls in audience hysterically screaming. Why? He has a pretty good voice but I was kind of rolling my eyes at some of the lyrics. Heidi, please don't call at 16-year-old's voice "yummy."

They really need to stop with audience commentary that "just happens" to get picked up by a mic. Also please do not keep the kiss cam.

Comedian was okay but I wasn't exactly falling off my chair.

I laughed harder at the Menudo kid from New York admitting he doesn't even know what he's singing.

"Stop! Do you have another song?" is tired, Simon.

Glitter/sand magician was cool but I just can't help thinking about how he must never get it all off of him.

• Like 4

Goofy comic magician was a tame ripoff of an 80's routine from a guy whose name I can't remember. ("Look, it's a bird!!  Fuck yooouuu".)

The Korean magician clearly had contraptions under that huge billowy robe.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

.  The kid dancer- The kid made ugly faces and didn't dance good enough to have his own show in Vegas.

.  Comedian-  She was ok. But still a no for me.

.  Aerial act-  We've seen these acts before and not all of them are worth saving.  This is a no for me.

.  Boy singing with guitar-  Nah!

.  TT-  I did laugh a few times but nnnope!

.  Little girl singing-  She shouted her way loud enough to recieve the GB.

.  Menudo-  I love eating menudo, especially during the winter.  Listening to this singing group, not so much.

.  Dude giving us the bird-  Horrible!

.  Sandman magician-  Everyone knew his props was coming from his giant sleeve.  After I thought about this act, I didn't like it afterall.

.  The silhouette group-  They weren't as good as others before them, but yesterday's lineup wasn't strong at all.  They were the best of this weak lineup.

What has happened to all the good acts?

Well, on to next week.

Edited by rr2911
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, rr2911 said:

Comedian-  She was ok. But still a no for me.

She was one of the few that I liked.  The rest of it, meh. 

• Like 2

I was so disappointed by the Canadian "magician" who auditioned. Of all the people who tried out, they chose that act to televise? I'm embarrassed to admit we share a country.

On 7/2/2024 at 10:50 AM, ams1001 said:

Are the auditions over yet? 

Nope. (There's at least one more after this, too.)

They could at least be a little more creative with the episode descriptions, no?

There doesn't appear to be many genuinely talented acts this year. I feel like we're watching a small town talent show where expectations aren't that high.

• Like 2

For years, many here have lamented the obsequious force-feeding of the kids' acts.  It's a core tenet of AGT's "sentiment over talent" ethos.  I had wondered how awful a spin-off (America's Got Kids?) would be.  This ep was a perfect preview for just how horrendous such a show would be.  Lord, this was brutal.

On the other hand, TPTB did us a solid by mashing so many of these acts into this single ep.  No need to ruin every show with cute young pretenders.

I'm struggling to identify a single act in this ep which I would actually vote to put through.  This may be a first, for me.  

What isn't a first is the incredibly disingenuous editing from multiple sessions.  I thought I actually saw/heard a conversation amongst the jidges in which snippets from different times were incorporated as a single, continuous, discussion/back and forth.

For me, the highlight was how the jidges acted out their initial disgust with the TT act, all the while refusing to hit the X button.  So, they telegraphed that this act would go through.  The height of such BS was the moment when all the jidges appeared to reeeeeally hate the act, and Howie was asked to come up to the stage.   Mandel did an atrocious bit of feigning confusion as he delayed going up.  The man was always gonna do it per the script.  And so he did.

Finally, how did the sand act not incorporate Metallica's signature classic?  

• Like 1