Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Discussion Thread

• Start Topic

Season 4 begins May 22, 2024 on Apple + with 2 episodes dropping, then one a week.

E01: I knew the opening scene had to be a fakeout!! Otherwise, that would be…weird and depressing for a season opener.

• Love 1

Interesting, they sorted out Princess looking for her biological mother rather quickly, as she hunted down several women with the same name and none of them turned out to be her.

She was going to confront her biological mother, demanding to know why she abandoned her when she was just 5 years old.

So the actress playing her seems to be older than the age of the character.  At the end of season 3, was Princess suppose to be like 6 or 7?  And they said it's been 6 years?

In any event, Princess seems to be pretty demanding, making Nikki feel guilty or self-conscious about her "unnecessary and performative" way in which she says "Ahhh" as she sips her tea.

Brits and their teas ...

In season 3 they struggled with meeting the requirements for adopting the children and one of them was having enough rooms and space.  They built an additional bedroom in a  tiny flat, which was all they could afford.

But Nikki notes that with the four of them living together, she and Jason aren't as close as they used to be and wants them to have some date nights, some dedicated time with each other.

Space would be an increasing problem as the kids get older, especially a teen girl.

Space is not a problem at all as Karen and Scott's place and their 5-year old daughter, who tells Scott, an oil industry employee, about a "climate emergency."

Scott reads one of her books about the last polar bear and shuts off some exterior lights.  

I guess even the supporting characters are "trying" to be better people so the name of the show doesn't only refer to trying to become parents?

I'm just happy it's back. This is just a sweet and lovely little show that deserves a lot more publicity than it gets.  

I think the six year jump was a good idea.  Everyone is settled in.  

As soon as I saw the photo of Charlotte Riley I figured that character was going to be making an appearance at some point.  I guess the only question is when.  

Spall and Smith have such good chemistry together.  I only recently found out they are a real life couple.  Not surprising.

I don't remember that much about Scott's story lines in previous seasons.  In fact my recollection is that they featured Karen more as a supporting character.

Looks like he's having a midlife crisis but also want his daughter to be proud of him.

Looks like Princess seeking out her biological mother is not over after all.

I know Princess is going to find her mother. The questions are-will mother reject her and Princess realizes she already has her mother? Or perhaps she will become part of the family as the grandmother did?

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I know Princess is going to find her mother. The questions are-will mother reject her and Princess realizes she already has her mother? Or perhaps she will become part of the family as the grandmother did?

I’m glad I’m not the only one still watching! 

Question about the latest (6/12) episode. When they went to the spa, what was the deal with Nikki’s mother having to pretend to be the retired coroner? Did they somehow have a gift card in her name? I must have blinked and missed the background. 

They're using the membership card of one of Karen's friends.

Scott having second thoughts about his adventure.  Seems like he's gotten as much screen time as any of the other characters.  Good comic relief?

Fun episode in Mallorca until Kat bailed.

Grandparents doing Princess' homework?

They're already at the season finale next week.

Probably a cliffhanger about Princess finding another bread crumb to track down her mother.

I was hoping Kat would have left the answers to all the questions behind before she left.

Yeah, the family doing Princess’ homework instead of her having consequences was amusing, but questionable. 

I dislike when they show a phone’s text chain…I can never read it!

• Like 1
(edited)
On 6/26/2024 at 2:38 PM, chitowngirl said:

Yeah, the family doing Princess’ homework instead of her having consequences was amusing, but questionable.

I'm guessing the reasoning is a combination of Princess having both lost her grandmother,  the reignited search/obsession for her mother and answers for why she left, and not wanting her to fail at school at the same time.  I mean the whole show has a lot of questionable points but it's not real life so....

Edited by ichbin
extra word

Thank goodness for that quick shot of Scott on the boat.  Of course, I was so stressed at that point that I wondered if it were a *metaphorical* boat sailing into the great beyond, but my daughter talked me down from the over-analytical edge.  Car accident was a misdirect; reveal was the boat.  Okay.  Deep breaths.  Which is all to say that I love this show, I love these characters, and I will miss them until (fingers crossed) the next season.

• Like 5

Lot of deception going on in the finale.

Scott carries the self-deception of rowing across the Atlantic.

Princess is deceiving Nikki about getting her grades.

Jason has been deceiving the kids whom he coaches in football to not play with anger or be angry in general, leading them to act defeatist, not just in matches but in life.

Then Jason, Nikki and Princess decides to collectively deceive prospective adoptive parents by hiding a change in strategy, for the team to play with anger or dirty.

Princess is relieved but deceives herself saying she would have done better in school if she wasn't chasing her mother, even though she barely passed with her grandparents doing her school work.

Later at the celebrations, Princess discovers that Nikki has been deceiving her about finding her mother in Mallorca.

And Kat shows up at the end, perhaps wanting to reclaim her kids?

I love this show. I hated there are no more shows left to watch.

The football  game was hilarious. Those kids are a delight. 

I thought  Scott was dead, but no, he had stopped  the car and went to row the Atlantic. 

I kept expecting  Kat to show up, and while Princess  was looking  at photos  of her, she was outside, waiting. 

Omg ,there has to be a season  5.

• Like 1