Type keyword(s) to search

Remembering Gene Wilder (Netflix)

• Start Topic

(edited)

Netflix doc that premieres June 13 2024. Tribute to actor Gene Wilder

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 4
(edited)

Just watched it. His wife recounting what it was like when he succumbed to Alzheimer’s was heartbreaking. But it was nice that he got a brief moment where he seemed like his old self just to swim in the pool one last time.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

He was funny and talented.  There were talking heads discussing how funny and talented he was.  They showed clips of him being funny and talented.  I would have like to know more about his upbringing, early (I mean really early) start in show business.  More about his marriages.  My takeaway?  He was funny and talented.  Meh. (on this doc, not Gene himself!)

• Like 2
On 6/16/2024 at 9:19 AM, kathe5133 said:

He was funny and talented.  There were talking heads discussing how funny and talented he was.  They showed clips of him being funny and talented.  I would have like to know more about his upbringing, early (I mean really early) start in show business.  More about his marriages.  My takeaway?  He was funny and talented.  Meh. (on this doc, not Gene himself!)

I listened to his autobiography on Audible, read by himself. Highly recommend it. It goes into much, much greater detail.  I think much of his spoken word used in the documentary was from his audiobook. I adore Gene Wilder but I too was underwhelmed by the documentary. Did, however tear up at the end with his descent into dementia. How cruel a disease that is for everyone. For someone who had been so keen minded and quick witted it was especially gutting.

• Sad 2

Just an FYI, this is not a Netflix Original, though it had its streaming debut on Netflix. So I asked the mods to move it here as it could very well move to another US streamer

• Like 2