Type keyword(s) to search

John Mulaney Presents: Everybody’s In LA

• Start Topic

Netflix, May 3

John Mulaney Presents: Everybody’s In LA is a six-night LIVE comedy series where John Mulaney explores the city of Los Angeles during a week when every funny person is in it. The series debuts live May 3 from the Netflix is a Joke Fest, with additional episodes streaming live May 6 - 10, at 7 pm PT (10 pm ET), only on Netflix.

• Like 2

Is anyone watching this live? Am I missing anything by just watching the “edited for streaming” version?  

Or maybe I should ask, is anyone watching this at all? I’ve seen the first one so far and liked it fine. I’d rate it as better than the Lunch Bag thing but not as enjoyable as any of his stand ups. 

• LOL 1

I watched the first two episodes. Reminded me of Fernwood Tonight. Has Seinfeld always been such a grumpy dick? And not in a funny way, like Larry David.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, QQQQ said:

I watched the first two episodes. Reminded me of Fernwood Tonight. Has Seinfeld always been such a grumpy dick? And not in a funny way, like Larry David.

Haha, Seinfeld has definitely been doubling down on the grumpy dick stuff lately, but I don’t think it’s out of nowhere. 

Just watched the second episode, and two things particularly amused me:

• In the segment about the Terryology Institute, there's a bit where the dad reads some goofy long random decimal off the invoice the institute sent him, and I immediately recognized it, because one day in high school I got bored in math class and memorized the square root of 8. I guess I guess Terrence Howard must've done some weird math thing that involved taking the square root of 8? (Though one of the digits got messed up at some point, because the square root of 8 is 2.82842712474619, whereas the number the guy reads is 2.82842712374619.)
  • As the child of a librarian, I thought it was funny that the producer tried to get the interviewee in the Leonardo DiCaprio Computer Center segment to say she considered Leo a librarian too and she tried to be amenable, but then couldn't resist saying "or certainly a library staff member," because librarians are very sensitive about letting anyone call themselves a librarian if they don't have a master's degree in library science.

This series is so hit or miss. I don’t think anyone had as much fun as Jon Stewart. Him live Googling a Keebler elf to show Mae Martin was the height of this show’s randomness. Most of the guests just seem confused as to why they’re there or what they’re supposed to do.

I don't know why I was under the impression that the show was only one-off "live" episodes (due to the way JM promoted it), so I was very happy to find the one I had missed. It was the David Letterman episode which was by far the best episode. John Stewart's episode was a very close second.

Anyway, it was great to be able to fast-forward all the boring/stupid bits. Made the show much more enjoyable overall to watch.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

I don't know why I was under the impression that the show was only one-off "live" episodes (due to the way JM promoted it), so I was very happy to find the one I had missed. It was the David Letterman episode which was by far the best episode.

In the first episode I think John mentioned something along the lines of that they might just hit their groove as the series was ending, if at all. LOL

The show really lives or dies based on the guests. John is great at a lot of things, but hosting 5 guests at once isn't one of them. It would be hard for even the seasoned late night hosts.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, SHD said:

John mentioned something along the lines of that they might just hit their groove as the series was ending, if at all. LOL

He nailed that. The Letterman episode and the John Carpenter interview were enough to make me miss this. Not that it’s sustainable—but shout-out to Dave, the assistant director of the La Brea Tar Pits and the Earthquake Lady, LuEllen, Jon Stewart’s iPhone and Mulaney’s hair stylist. 

• Like 1

I thought the episodes were funny.  Except for the bits like when the comedians are all looking at that gross $1.3 million house.  They were all trying too hard.  

Amy & Tina annoy me, in general.  They are always trying too hard when they are together.

Love Jon Stewart.