Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Maxine Takes a Step

• Start Topic

1478x832.webp

With both the Beach Ball and a real estate deal set to take off, Maxine and Douglas need to secure the favor of a visiting prince.

Premiere Date: April 10, 2024         Apple TV+   

1712365677_header.jpg

(edited)

I saw Perry swindling Douglas out of his money about three episodes ago.I can only hope Norma has some cash stashed away somewhere they can't get to

It's disappointing that Robert felt compelled to help Maxine since she's been so terrible to him, she didn't deserve his redemption. It's also disappointing that Mindy Cohn's character is going to let her get away with her lies.

The final scene between Linda and Skeet was so touching. Kudos to Laura Dern, because I don't know that I could have ever acted out a death scene with my own father

Edited by Cineaste
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, Cineaste said:

The final scene between Linda and Skeet was so touching. Kudos to Laura Dern, because I don't know that I could have ever acted out a death scene with my own father

I thought it was a lovely scene, and I agree it must be very strange to act out your father's death with him.

• Like 2

After giving up on the show in Episode 5, we watched Episode 6 anyway, and actually liked it. Some things were funny, and like you said, @Cineaste, the scenes between Linda and Skeet were moving, absorbing, and (surprising for this show) believable. Felt the same to some extent in the scene between Evelyn and Skeet. And every scene Evelyn was in. And the scene where Maxine confesses all to Ann.

Douglas continues to be too stupid to live, and I find the whole performance by the actor annoying. (There's a fine line between me understanding the character is supposed to be annoying and me just not wanting to see the character on my screen and almost feeling insulted as a viewer by him.)

As for Ann not being impressed by Maxine's lies, my guess is that's because she knows everybody in Palm Springs is a phony. (Except Skeet.) 

(BTW, I had to consult Google to know the names of the characters while typing this. With most shows I can retain that information! For some reason not with this show.)

• Like 2
On 4/11/2024 at 4:51 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

Also, what did Alison Janney mean when she said (paraphrasing) "that's not what the Rolodex is for."  ??

She was saying the Rolodex helped keep things in check in Palm Beach.  It helped maintain the social order.  

On 4/12/2024 at 8:39 AM, Milburn Stone said:

Douglas continues to be too stupid to live, and I find the whole performance by the actor annoying. (There's a fine line between me understanding the character is supposed to be annoying and me just not wanting to see the character on my screen and almost feeling insulted as a viewer by him.)

I don't like the character either.  I feel like he's supposed to be more charming than how he comes off, and he's essentially there to just be a barrier to Maxine achieving whatever it is she wants.  

• Useful 1