Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Debate

• Start Topic

Quiet around here. Yet another decent show that hasn't had enough publicity.  I almost didn't watch it myself but I'm glad I did and was able to binge six shows at once because I held off by dismissing at first as something I probably wasn't going to be interested (I was wrong).

This was my least favorite episode to date because most of it felt too much like it was just a filler episode. So far...it's fluffy overall, but it throws in enough meat to give the main characters some flesh.  I'm mostly curious about Scott Foley's character and whether there will eventually be some big scandal involving him.   

• Like 1
18 hours ago, ichbin said:

So far...it's fluffy overall, but it throws in enough meat to give the main characters some flesh.

I think this is the perfect characterization of this show. 

I'm not sure what this show wants to be. There were two dance interludes/music montages in this episode. I don't know if that was lazy wiriting or just trying to fill time. The interactions with the women are the same every episode: they argue about their petty generational and/or ideological differences, but at the end of the day they're all just women trying to balance love and families and their careers. I think they want to portray strong women that we can root for despite not seeing ourselves in these women, but all four of our ladies are basically reduced to stereotypes each episode.

At least the political stuff progresses from episode to episode. I agree that I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop with Mayor Scot Foley. He seems like he's supposed to be a Pete Budigeg (mayor, war vet, limited political experience, but very likeable/relatable), but there wasn't much scandal around Pete. But this show seems to be setting up something to knock our likeable underdog down a few notches.

Perhaps I should read the book, but nothing about this show suggests that the book would be anything I'd be interested in spending my free time with.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Night Cheese said:

I don't know if that was lazy wiriting or just trying to fill time.

Probably both? I really felt like they had enough story for less episodes but are obligated to produce more so aside from the few minutes of personal story progression they stretched the bus break down into this pretty much waste of time.

• Like 1
(edited)

I can’t imagine a full-time content creator, with a manager, and a lot of sponsorships, depending on WiFi as she travels across the country for work.  I would have thought she’d have unlimited data.  

Edited by Anela

I forgot about areas with no service.  That’s why they all lost WiFi. 
of course Sadie is pregnant. If grace’s husband instilled so much confidence in their daughter, why didn’t she call him? It seems like she didn’t want to disappoint him, and wanted her mother to handle it.  
I like their friendships.