Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: I'm Not Going Anywhere

• Start Topic

72944466007-invi-s-2-fg-00345015-still-4

As Mark attempts to salvage his personal life, a new villain arrives, presenting Invincible with his greatest challenge yet. Donald grapples with his past.

Premiere Date: March 28, 2024     Prime Video  

45cddb32c474017c4c8cc04cef8631792903ca0f

I guess it's been a while since Mark has gotten his ass kicked again.  Hey, just because he's Invincible doesn't mean he's Invulnerable!  This time, it was at the hands of this Viltramite, Anissa, who seems to work for General Kregg and was trying to get Mark to fall in line with them.  Complete with the always popular approach of claiming that humans are already screwing up the planet in a lot of ways, so why not let them take over instead.  Which.... yeah, humanity is messy and fucked up, but choosing full-fledge enslavement is going to be a hard sell, to put it mildly.

Looks like Mark/Amber are done for (for now?)  Feel bad for them, but I really don't see how they can make this work.  I normally don't buy into the breaking up to protect those you love because villains still seem to find a way, but it's the combination of that, school, and just being a good boyfriend in general that is going to be almost impossible for Mark to balance out with his superheroing.

Curious to see what they are planning with Donald.

The meta joke with the the comic book writer at Comic Con made me chuckle.

What is Allen planning?

Looks like the finale will kick things off with Mark having to take on Angstrom after he kidnaps Debbie and his half-brother.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

What is Allen planning?

Allen got himself captured so he can find out what happened to Omni-man. If Allen can't bring back Invincible, maybe he can bring back Omni-man to fight in the rebellion.

I read in a Reddit post that Mark's argument to Alissa was pathetic, and I initially agreed. I groaned when he went the cliched "Well at least I don't kill people" route. Facepalm-worthy. Lots of people don't kill people, like Joe Biden and Trump - doesn't mean they're saving the planet from destruction.

Here's the list of counter-arguments Mark could have provided, according to the Reddit post:

"If you really care about saving humans or the betterment of the galaxy you could offer them the climate saving technology without the threat of conquest."

"Just as many humans would die in a planetary war against a race of mass murdering super beings."

"The Earth would likely end up just as screwed up in the aftermath of the planet killing Viltrumite's stomping around it then it would be in a climate crisis."

Or if you prefer Mark give an emotion argument. "Says the lunatic who threatened to murder dozens of humans just to have a conversation with me. You very obviously would end up killing humans at the drop of a hat if you ruled Earth."

All that being said, looking back, I came to realize why Mark's reasoning skills suddenly dropped to 0 that point: Amber was almost killed. I'm sure all Mark could think about at that point, in his own words, was how to kill this bitch. Hardly a rational mind capable of logical thinking or even producing the so-called "emotional argument" IMHO.

Furthermore, Mark did call on Alissa's bluff; he knew they needed him to conquer Earth as Nolan is AWOL, so he was probably stalling for time until he came up with a solution and therefore wasn't thinking straight about his conversation with Alissa.  

But with that being said, I do agree that the writing team could have handled that dialogue better. "At least I don't kill" is one of the dumbest counter-arguments you could have come up with, especially in 2024 when fiction-writing should have evolved, not rehashing old tired tropes.

The scene with Amber and Mark breaking up was nicely handled though, better than Amber and Mark's relationship scenes from season 1. It made sense and it was inevitable. So here comes the MarkEve ship!

Allen was powerful af. In a lot of "who would win" debates I've seen on Reddit, no Viltrumites could even come close to facing a Kryptonian, but Allen might, or at least DCEU Superman maybe.

4/5