Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: Shadowplay

Three plots to comment on.

Kira, Quark, and Bareil

I like Bareil, so I enjoyed this plot. I like how at the mention of springball, he immediately goes off to play...then gets his butt whooped by Kira. Quark almost got away with it. Almost.

Sisko, Jake, and O'Brien

Back before this episode aired, I like many of the characters, assumed Jake would be joining Starfleet. I enjoyed this little surprise. At the time, it felt like it was making him the anti-Wesley, which was definitely a good thing. I liked Sisko's reaction to it. He seems a little annoyed, perhaps even angry, at first. I suspect he thought Nog was behind Jake's choice. However, he was understanding and supportive as soon as he realized it was really Jake choice. We also got to hear a bit about O'Brien.

Dax and Odo

On to the main plot…

This was a good story. Rurigan comes off as a little cold in the end. Basically, "Just let them die, and take me home." Watching the episode again though, it is interesting to pay attention to him. He knows why people are disappearing. It is probably his worst fears coming true. The poor guy spent months "knowing" that he was going to end up losing his second family/village and die alone. He might have even thought that once Odo and Dax figured out the truth, they would dismiss everyone as being "just holograms" and leave. No wonder he wanted to be distant from his new family. He just love them too much to actually pull away.

I like Taya. Kind of interesting to get to know her before learning she is a hologram. I wish we got to meet her mom a little at the end. She should really be baffled as to what is happening. I know we don't want to see them explaining to the mom everything we just saw, but her just standing there while her daughter talks to strangers looks a little odd.

• Love 1

I've always liked this episode. I like that Odo is really good with the girl. Trivia, this episode is one of the few times that Odo changes shape to amuse someone (might be the only time).

And they did a good job making the viewer care about what happens to them.

• Love 1

I've always liked this episode. I like that Odo is really good with the girl. Trivia, this episode is one of the few times that Odo changes shape to amuse someone (might be the only time).

Yes, that was cute. She basically had to earn it. I don't really blame her though. She believed that Changelings were a myth, after all. If someone came up to me and claimed to be an elf, I'd certainly be asking for proof.

These past 2 episodes are throw-aways to me. I get really frustrated when the show fails to utilize its unique premise; this story could have taken place on either TNG or Voyager. There wasn't anything DS9 specific to it except for Sisko's presence.