Type keyword(s) to search

American Nightmare - General Discussion (all episodes)

• Start Topic

I'm surprised there's so little activity here around this show! So many of my friends have been talking about it after this weekend! 

I thought the show was really well done -- hooked me right away. I found the boyfriend to be really appealing and credible, and when the show played out, it was refreshing to see that this wasn't a case of an abusive relationship that deadly. 

Denise -- I'll admit she wasn't likable" at first, but when you consider all of the trauma she went through, her detached, unemotional manner isn't surpriseing at all. I'm beyond glad to see that they seem to be living a happy and fulfilling life. 

I've seen speculation that the kidnapper is an FBI asset, and I have to say, that makes some sense. The FBI agent involved in the case was SHADY. 

• Like 3

I wish police would stop deciding on what has happened before actively listening to those involved. Yes, I know events sometimes strain credulity but that doesn’t mean they can’t be true. 

I wasn't expecting them to be able to rise above their trauma but am glad they persevered.  

• Like 5

This was riveting, devastating and horrifying.  

On 1/23/2024 at 8:57 AM, lovinbob said:

Denise -- I'll admit she wasn't likable" at first

Sadly, I think this is one reason why the documentary was so good.  She wasn't believable or likeable.  Watching her talking head, I felt like I was watching a badly acted drama, not a real documentary.  When she was describing that the kidnapper insisted the second rape appear consensual, I was absolutely convinced she was involved with him romantically and not knowing he had filmed her, this was going to be her excuse for why it didn't appear to be a rape.  I feel bad about all of that.  Poor, poor woman.  

Shows like this (and many a Dateline episode) chill me to the bone.  You get one or two rabid, dumb cops like a dog with a bone and they are just not going to let go.  When "Colonel Mustard" (as my husband and I nicknamed him) was sitting across from Aaron, it was obvious who was far superior intellectually.  And yet Aaron had no power.  

Good Bless that feisty little cop who broke the case.  I honestly feared that even with the overwhelming evidence shoved in their face, the Vallejo PD was still going to turn a blind eye.  

I'm a little surprised that Denise and Aaron are married.  They didn't seem that strong to begin with.  I hope it wasn't a relationship born out of and built on trauma.  Aaron still seems kind of shell shocked.  I wish them the best.  

• Like 4