Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05 The Rolodex

• Start Topic

Yeah, I figured Alexis was the one who picked Charles up at the end of last episode, but I'm a little surprised a deputy DA hasn't even moved in to her own place yet. Three years???

OK, so this is from last episode, but since she brought it up again, I'm still weirded out by her eating spicy Korean instant noodles dry, as a snack. Not that she does it, I can buy that as a snack. But first off, wouldn't that leave her fingers coated with super-hot spice dust? (Same problem as Flamin Hot Cheetos.) More importantly, I'm pretty sure that particular brand of spicy noodles she eats doesn't have a dry spice packet. It has a dry garnish packet of seaweed and sesame seeds, and a wet packet of very, very hot sauce. Maybe competitors have a dry spice packet. But of course, fighting off her attacker last episode would work better with spice powder.

I do drink Lipton tea sometimes, but I only use it to make HK milk tea, which blows away any nuance with milk and sugar and ice. Please don't judge me, Mama Sun.

... I didn't actually know those pineapple cakes could be made at home. I thought they were strictly something from factories.

I'll certainly buy that Alexis is way less rich than Charles, but a deputy DA in LA makes a floor of $97K, according to the most pessimistic of the first four results on Google right now. And she can afford an apartment in LA with in-unit laundry and no roommate.

Ah! "I've eaten more salt than you've eaten rice" was a diss in Shang-Chi as well. But the subtitles there translated it to "I've lived ten of your lifetimes", maybe because they expected an American audience to not generally eat a whole lot of rice.

Aw no, Blood Boots! I still don't quite get the motivation of the enemy. If they're not a rival gang looking to expand, then what is the motivation? Their slogan suggests a mission of vigilante violence and murders, I guess.

oh shit, Alexis was playing Charles!!

I understand the idea behind Eileen's information being a threat to every rival triad, but surely the value of it has degraded after fifteen years? Surely some of the triad leaders she knew back then have retired or died.

On 1/14/2024 at 3:20 AM, arc said:

I'll certainly buy that Alexis is way less rich than Charles, but a deputy DA in LA makes a floor of $97K, according to the most pessimistic of the first four results on Google right now. And she can afford an apartment in LA with in-unit laundry and no roommate.

I don't know Chinese culture specifically and Alexis has been in America from her late teens forward. But many cultures only leave home if necessary  to reach work. Even upon marriage extended generations of families remain together unto death of the matriarch.  It does make it easier for those in the sandwich generation caring for parents and helping out young grandchildren simultaneously.

Dammit.  I liked Blood Boots.   Mama is so cool and composed going right into the lion's den.  they could not break her.  It does crack me up when they refer to her as an old woman. She's 61 and could kick their asses.  She's not exactly an invalid.  I know a lot of it is respect for elders.  It's just funny when she in no way seems old. 

That was a great way to get her out of there.  Leave in a crowd that they will not do anything to. 

Alexis and Charles are so messy.  She is playing him, but not, but is . . . . She does seem to like him and he is so much more human around her.  However, she's a DA and he's a criminal. 

This show does the little touches well.  The baked goods, the focus on the lipton tea bags, etc.  They establish the standards of the culture and the changes in the US.  

... I didn't actually know those pineapple cakes could be made at home. I thought they were strictly something from factories.

My next door neighbour is from Taiwan, and she makes these all the time.  Just shows up randomly with a little box of pineapple cakes every once in a while.  We all love them.