Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two: Goren's Sherlock and Eames' Watson Meet Their Moriarty [Regrettably?]

• Start Topic

I must say I disagree with Wendy here, I liked all the Nicole episodes and the character herself.  "Anti-Thesis" was just on and I'm looking forward to her S4 episode which is running overnight.

"Pilgrim" was just on and that's an excellent episode, with a twisty turny plot and a brutally suspenseful ending.

Hey, it's cool! Maherjunkie, who posts occasionally here also likes the Nicole stuff. Different strokes, etc.  :-)  At least I enjoyed the yuppie scene in "Anti-Thesis". It's something!

And I agree: "Pilgrim" was a good episode. Rider/Ryder Strong did a great job with the Ethan role. Who knew he could go beyond Boy Meets World so well?

I hated Charlie Harmon and I hated the guy he played on CI. He was going to deprive his daughter of her mother just because -- in addition to his other issues --- she didn't want to draw pictures of his office? Fuck you buddy.

The above was from the Mothership thread (as a Mothership character was played by David Marshall Grant, the same actor to play Peter Bonham on CI), and it made me smile. But it does also remind me that Carver was acting like a huge ass in this episode. He even seemed friendly-ish with this guy and was present for one of the frame calls.

Is it any wonder G/E kept him out of the loop here? Carver should have stepped away instead of getting all righteously indignant and making threats.

Although this post does make me wonder just how little Sarah really would have viewed her father if she ever learned he was the one to send mommy away!

• Love 1

Hopefully her mother didn't even bother to let her visit her father in jail. My head canon was that they both wrote him off and the mother remarried a better man and Sarah calls him daddy.

I'd hope that would happen! Especially once Linda Bonham realized what Peter did. "You son of a bitch!" indeed.

• Love 1

No denying I hate anything Nicole, but G/E acting like the snooty yuppies in the shoe store in "Anti-Thesis" is always great for a laugh or two.

I love that scene only slightly less than the questioning of the Selwyns in "Best Defense", where Goren mimics all of Mr. Selwyn's postures behind his back, much to the amusement of Eames.  It's on next week on WE, so I might just have to store it on the DVR.

Just BTWs re: an upthread discussion, in ConText the leader of the cult/movement/whatever is played by John Benjamin Hickey (recently of "Manhattan"), not Marc Evan Jackson who is on B99 and was on Parks & Rec.  They do look alike, but not the same guy.

• Love 1
I love that scene only slightly less than the questioning of the Selwyns in "Best Defense", where Goren mimics all of Mr. Selwyn's postures behind his back, much to the amusement of Eames.

Good one, Lizzing! There was also a scene in S8, "Lady's Man" (which I see is on at <gulp> 4:00 a.m., on USA maybe I'll DVR as it is a good one!), where Eames is disgusted at a witness who talks about how he went to party with a mystery redhead/cheated on his wife but wanted to keep it quiet, and Goren stood behind him making funny expressions - then went blank and stoic when the guy turned to look at him.

By the latter seasons, that was very seldom, so it stood out to me!

• Love 1

It's amusing to see John Bolger play an FBI agent in "The Pilgrim" since all I can think of are his two later turns as the eventual victim/corpse du jour in later seasons in both "Slither" (S5), when he and his wife are drugged and have their townhouse stripped, and as a sleazy magazine publisher in "Traffic" in S9 (one of the few decent S9 episodes, IMO, no small thanks to Tracey Pollan doing a good job).

WE is currently showing "Cold Comfort". While I have noted how sorry I felt for the younger Durning, a part of me now wonders why he was never more proactive with his own health and let his father handle everything.

I mean, wouldn't the memory blackouts alarm the man enough to seek a second opinion?

USA showed "See Me" last night, and I can't believe I missed what could be a timing goof. In Dr. Dysart's office, he was readying his patient, Marilyn, for surgery (when her mom had misgivings). Meanwhile, G/E are still at their squad room (which has been noted to be on the 11th floor, no less!) discussing him when they get a break, yet they get to his office before he injected the patient!

Did they don Superman capes and gain the ability to fly?!

So weird seeing Jim Gaffigan playing the wimpy type in "Dead" and now seeing him as the insensitive doofus of a dad in those constant car ads. (IIRC, he also appeared in "Smile" in S7. I guess these shows were testing grounds for comics in dramatic roles. (Also Stephen Colbert in "The Saint" and Robin Williams on both L&O: SVU and Homicide: Life On The Street years before.)

"Chonoiserie"...can't believe I didn't connect it 'til now, but the actress who played Lucille Mobray, Elizabeth Wilson, was in 9 to 5 as Roz, the employee who loved to suck up to Dabney Coleman's Franklin Hart!

She died just last year at 94.

I know I have said this, but I really do love Bobby in "See Me", both repulsed yet oddly sympathetic to Dysart, and the subject matter that ties to his own mother and her history, well... It allowed insight into his character without bashing people over the head.

I could see him desperately wanting to believe Dysart's claims, but seeing him on that phone was just sort of sad.

5 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

Oh he is was a total flake there.

"I'll get back to YOU, Detective." Why? Because Bobby wanted to make sure all i's were dotted and t's were crossed so he could prove the guy was framing his wife? I bet if Goren and Eames HAD gone to him, Carver would have lectured about wild theories or whatever. And he socialized with the husband. He ate lunch with him at the beginning.

Actually, I still say Carver should have recused himself, but then he'd have gotten nothing out of this episode, so...

One thing I noticed with "The Pilgrim" (besides Shawn of Boy Meets World going bad! Ha!) is how...incidental or shoved aside the murder victim is in this one. It seemed taken over by the post 9/11 terror stuff. I know her ex turned out to be part of it, but I never did get why she died. It didn't appear she knew anything.

Came to me while watching now on USA.

WE is airing "Choineserie", and while Elizabeth Wilson, who played Lucille Mobray, played aristocrat believably, is it just me or did her line readings almost all sound like questions, no matter what she said? Eh. Loved the actress as Roz in 9 to 5, though! I got a kick out of her fawning all over Dabney Coleman's despicable boss...

On 1/5/2017 at 3:54 PM, Maherjunkie said:

Atta girl...

I remember that lush coworker saying that. Hee. But I'd have thought Roz would have better taste.

In any case, the deal Ms. Mobray got from Carver for killing Annie Littleton was crazy! I know it was because of her age, but she should have gone to prison for the rest of her life!

Loved G/E ripping "Lord Pemberidge's" fake accent apart, though.

19 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

No! 9-5.  You're taking it too literally.  Lily Tomlin says "Whatever she hears, he (Mr.Hart) hears.

Ah! Well, I didn't memorize the movie lines.  :-P  But that sounds about right! Still, the actress that played Roz played a good upper-crust lady in "Choineserie". Cold, though, to just have the poor woman in her way shot in front of her kids.

On 1/10/2017 at 11:19 PM, Maherjunkie said:

And none of those guys seemed like the type to take orders.  Who actually did it?  Stuart?

I think it was the partner to Pang the dishwasher. You know, the guy that Goren said was chewing on his cheek "like a frantic chipmunk".

And yet she broke down like a crying baby at the end. One thing I did like was that episode was the backdrop of a real event (Tienanmen Square) and, while this is minor, I liked that the folks in Chinatown that Alex and Bobby interviewed didn't magically know what happened because of the two different Chinese dialects. Too many shows would probably not even touch upon that!

• Love 1

One thing about "Shandeh" I never got: Why Linda Lavin used that accent. I know the character was Jewish, but not everyone has an accent. I wonder what made her decide to use one, especially since the actor playing her son didn't have a trace of one.

Dig the "dots" with the pickles, though.  :-P

Paul Calderon, the guy that played JoJo in "Legion", the guy killing kids in a neighborhood surrounding a theft ring, was actually in S9 in "Disciple" as that Chicago cop from Serena Stevens' past.

It just hit me.

Still like "Cherry Red", from Eames trying to get Goren out of the Ferrari, to seeing Lewis, to seeing Carver/Goren playing with the model cars like little boys, to Alex commenting on their play date.  :-)

And my younger self will forever associate the murdering sick father of the car collector as Mr. Baker from Sixteen Candles that talked about daughter Ginny's "Bo-Hunk" of a fiancé. LOL!

• Love 1

Cherry Red is one of my favorites as well. Great case, classic scene with Goren in the Ferrari in the garage and Carver and Goren playing with the model cars, one of the only times Carver ever looked excited/happy. Father and son were both memorable villains, the dad was a total self absorbed piece of shit and I almost felt some sympathy for Roger even though he was pretty twisted. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Cherry Red is one of my favorites as well. Great case, classic scene with Goren in the Ferrari in the garage and Carver and Goren playing with the model cars, one of the only times Carver ever looked excited/happy. Father and son were both memorable villains, the dad was a total self absorbed piece of shit and I almost felt some sympathy for Roger even though he was pretty twisted. 

I would have had a bit more sympathy for Roger had he not taken an inheritance that the intended wanted to use for her dying mother. But I see your point. Daddy Dearest was just vile, though. "Self-absorbed piece of shit" sums him up perfectly.

• Love 2

Absolutely, Daddy was a total piece of shit, he treated everyone terribly, including his son, and then murders an innocent young woman to cover up his sons crimes, not because he cared about his son but because he wanted to continue to freeload off of him. I wouldn't have a problem with the death penalty for him, but he wouldn't live long enough to get the needle, with all his health issues I doubt he lasted long behind bars. 

Roger I was mixed on, I didn't feel much sympathy for him because he did kill the old woman in the fire and he did defraud people out of their inheritance but I feel some sympathy for anyone with a dad like Stan. I don't know why Roger didn't move as far away as possible from Daddy and never speak to him again, that's what I would've done. 

One thing that I remember reading about that episode that I always found interesting is that the 2 actors who played Stan and Roger had played father and son in a movie 20 years before, I wonder if the casting was intentional. 

• Love 1
On 3/10/2017 at 6:45 PM, Xeliou66 said:

One thing that I remember reading about that episode that I always found interesting is that the 2 actors who played Stan and Roger had played father and son in a movie 20 years before, I wonder if the casting was intentional. 

No kidding? Do you know the name of the movie?

As for why Roger didn't move away from Daddy, guilt? Or maybe he thought the old man would kick off long before he did and didn't think he would have to care for him for long? Who knows.

• Love 1

No I would have to look up the actors to find that out, but I remember reading that they had played father and son in a movie a long time before that episode.

I don't know why Roger didn't move away from Daddy, he was psychologically weak I think and couldn't break off the tie to his dad no matter how much his dad had hurt him. He was a weak person and juvenile like almost in his obsession with the cars. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

He was a weak person and juvenile like almost in his obsession with the cars. 

The car thing was juvenile, I agree. But I also think - besides the Daddy issues - it spoke of Roger's overall greed. Which seems to be the motive for maybe 85% of the criminals on any given cop show.

• Love 1