Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Conduit

Soooo Conduit... not one of my favorite Season 1 X-Files eps by any means, but I have a good deal to say about it!

First, this line:

BLEVINS: In essence, Mulder is petitioning the bureau to assign a case number to a tabloid headline.  - Oh Mulder, you big dork.  And this won't be the last time he pulls this stunt.  Small Potatoes, anyone?

Samantha, Samantha, Samantha, more Samantha.  It would seem in Conduit we're still working with the Pilot version of the abduction story that she was abducted out of her bed, since he mentions that he would always close his eyes when entering his room expecting to see her in bed when he opened them.

And then we have KEVIN!  The first creepy kid in a long line of creepy kids in this show.  I get this creepy kid is not actual evil, like later creepy kids, but this face... creepy.

a063A.jpg

And what is this?!  I saw this on Tumblr recently and I cannot get enough... lol

tumblr_mte7suxGf21qfq33ro1_500.gif

I had a flashback or flashforward? to Paper Hearts with Mulder and Scully and the shallow grave.  It would seem this time, I suppose b/c there's zero chance it's actually Samantha, she's able to talk him out of continuing to disturb a crime scene vs. helping him like she does later.

I got a little sad watching Scully listen to Mulder's tape, before we cut to badly crying Mulder in a church.  Now wait, a church?!  Religion is Scully's thing, and in later episodes Mulder makes it perfectly clear that while he believes in the paranormal, he has no use for religion.

And last, but not least, I never paid much attention to the last two lines, but I squealed with delight this time:

DR. HEITZ WERBER: Do you believe the voice?

MULDER: I want to believe.

Edited by queequeg
  • Love 3

I rewatched this one too.

I'm with you on Mulder in a church?  That was strange.  I guess they really were still trying to figure the characters out.

I think I said this in another post, but something about the way the kid yells 'RUBY'S GONE!' in the teaser just makes me laugh.  It's like he's so put out by the whole thing, instead of scared half to death like any normal 8 year old would be.

Speaking of the teaser, why in the world is the mom sleeping by herself inside the camper while her two kids (one of them EIGHT YEARS OLD) sleep outside alone?  There's no way that would be happening with my kids.

The kids sleeping outside didn't bother me but maybe it has to do with the place and how you grew up. That situation wouldn't have been at all strange for me when I was a kid but I grew up in an extremely safe place (small island where everybody knew everybody).

I hadn't watched this in forever so I was looking forward to it but I gotta say that the case just doesn't engage me that much, just like I remember feeling about it. The actress who plays the mother is great and the M/S interaction is great as ways but the rest I just kinda don't care about that much.

Is this the last time we see Blevins before the hearing/his death?

And then we have KEVIN!  The first creepy kid in a long line of creepy kids in this show.  I get this creepy kid is not actual evil, like later creepy kids, but this face... creepy.

a063A.jpg

My mind was blown when I figured out that Kevin was the same kid in the Calusari, just with dark hair. 

Speaking of the teaser, why in the world is the mom sleeping by herself inside the camper while her two kids (one of them EIGHT YEARS OLD) sleep outside alone?  There's no way that would be happening with my kids.

That seems quite common to me.  I love the great outdoors, but when it's time for sleeping I was always happy to have a nice bed in my parents' motorhome.  I knew plenty of other kids who loved to sleep outside instead, though.  It's probably just exciting to do something different, to be "away" from the parents (even though they're right inside), etc. 

My mind was blown when I figured out that Kevin was the same kid in the Calusari, just with dark hair.

Well, consider my mind blown, too - I had no idea.

I didn't realize that's the same kid as Calusari!

I didn't really think much of the mom in the camper and the kids outside.  I figured the kids wanted to sleep outside under the stars or something.  It's not like she was that far away.  Granted it was the 80's, but I grew up in a moderate sized city (so certainly no Mayberry) and we camped out in tents in our neighbors' backyard a couple times, just us kids. 

LOL I was really thinking more about the animals and such that would come sniffing around, but maybe my kids are all just big weenies.

Well, true.  I didn't think of that, I guess being a city-kid and all.  lol.  

I grew up in the foothills of a suburb and saw the same variety of critters at home as on our camping trips - except when we went were there were bears.  But when dealing with the usual assortment of deer, coyote, raccoons, etc. that was just part of the fun.  So I can definitely see the mother wanting to be inside, Kevin wanting to be outside where it was "cool" and Ruby figuring being stuck with her brother was better than her mother.