Type keyword(s) to search

Aaron: Shady Not!Chef

Whimsy

Here's your Aaron topic.  I am open to suggestions for a new thread title.  Too many to set up to be witty and I don't know these people yet.  I haven't watched any live feeds.

From the Utopia Website:

Aaron Thomas, 26, single
Hometown: Jackson, Miss.
“Food is life,” says this former military man who knows what a good meal can mean to a hungry community. A hopeless romantic and fantastic forager, Aaron envisions a Utopia free of class divisions and full of nuts and berries.

This is what I can recall of him:

At some point in his teen years he was homeless and (I thought) dropped out of school;

Joined Army and becaime a line cook and an officer; and

Was a contestnant on Masterchef.

I was a military brat and a significant percent of my family has been in the service so his homeless to officer tale sounded fishy given his age and that he's out of the service now.  It isn't impossible per se, but as others have pointed out on the Live Feed Discussion thread it would be very very unusual.  After some exposure to him, I have to say he doesn't strike me as having the standard officer demeanor and aura.  My neighbor went to the Naval Academy 35 years ago and has been out of the service for at least 20 years and to this day he carries himself with a certain je ne sais quoi that makes you want to address him as "sir".  My brother's best friend's Dad used to be a drill sargeant and to the day he died he had that aura where you did not question his orders.

But back to Aaron...just hearing him say he was in the service, but him wearing his dog tags when he is not active duty nor Reserves reflects poorly on the service.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 4

You are correct DeLurker. I often teach on-base college courses to military students at a specific base in NJ. And they are often some of my hardest working students. They try really hard and take it very seriously. Aaron is NONE of that and makes military (retired or active) look bad. Generally military people know how to work hard and when needed. I would imagine that someone with that background, would have jumped in and know how to stretch a dollar. He is an insult. 

• Love 3

His military "career" is surely insecurity puffed up as bravado, as has been described better by others, and his cooking is utterly terrible by all accounts. He's a liar, a thief, a bully, and has actively, unequivocally threatened to harm or kill more than one person on this show- sometimes to their face. He is quick to accuse others of racism, while showinf rampant sexism and homophobia.

As much as I hate Bri and Mike, Aaron is to me a monstrous person. Even that second day when he went head to head with Red- trying to provoke a fight- it was obvious the dude was a nasty powder keg of anger and self-entitlement. He's only gotten worse.

• Love 4

I get the distinct vibe from his behavior and how he carries himself that not only was he not an officer I doubt he was the NCOIC (sergeant in charge) of the kitchen . From my time in the Army at least those that ran the kitchen knew how to set a schedule and delegate and lead at a task like cooking for a large number of people. He also doesn't seem to make very appetizing food and the military has no special test for accepting people into the job of cook. So long as you can boil water pretty much and I'd hardly call an Army line cook a chef.

• Love 3

I get irrationally irate each time I see him in his military issue pants and dog tags.

I used to kick around my college campus in an ancient hand-me-down pair of Army fatigues* because they were loose, comfy and practically indestructable, but no one was going to mistake me for someone in the military. 

Aaron actively tries to make that impression.  Given how vile he is, it makes me crazy. 

* not camouflage, but the dark green pants cut similar to khakis.  Come to think of it, I always called them khakis even though they were not that color.

Edited by DeLurker

The "Stolen Valor" website exposes all kinds of people trying to pass themselves off with falsified military background.  Here's the beginning of Aaron's entry:

"AARON THOMAS, a member of the cast of the FOX TV SHOW Utopia has been lying about his military 'career' since day 1. He uses these lies to his advantage and everyone has bought it.  [,,,]"

Also, he wasn't exactly "on" Masterchef.  He applied and washed out during the qualifying rounds. 

There is a different Aaron Thomas who was on Masterchef Australia and became quite famous when he was charged with embezzling $7.6M.   Sounds a lot like our guy, but no. 

(Nor is he "fantastic" or "forager," either.  Booo.  Hisss.)

• Love 2

(Nor is he "fantastic" or "forager," either. Booo. Hisss.)

I've been wondering if the title of this thread shouldn't be changed to "Aaron: Shady Chef" because not only is he not fantastic since when did he ever show interest in foraging...? I know this is what he proclaimed as part of his Utopia bio but seriously I have an easier time calling Bella a doomsday pepper or Bri a veterinary assistant...

Edited by Mediocrates
  • Love 2

True he is not fantastic nor have we seen him forage, but he's no chef either. As I understand, using that title means you are a trained professional. I'm pretty sure Rachel Ray and Guy Fieri, accomplished as they are, do not refer to themselves as chefs.

He is however immensely shady. And aangry. And aannoying. And an aasshat.

• Love 4

I wish we could see his reaction when he finds out exactly how hated he is. There's some quality snark in there.

There are also a lot of really scary food pictures. How can a "chef" not make pancakes that look even slightly edible? Yuck.

He got off only because the Police Officer didn't come to court. No biggie. He was in the wrong but it does not sound like it was anything major. The motorcycle stuff is stupid and dangerous to himself but it doesn't sound like he was doing anything that bad.

He claims he's been arrested 4 times, this is only 1 of them. As someone who works in law enforcement a lot of the story doesn't add up either. No judge drops charges because someone stole your motorcycle, that doesn't negate the crime committed. And as a veteran I'm appalled that an Army officer would conduct himself in such a manner and almost brag about being arrested.

• Love 2
The motorcycle stuff is stupid and dangerous to himself but it doesn't sound like he was doing anything that bad.

True, but nothing about that story adds up except the part about the officer not showing up in court and them having to drop something that would require his testimony.  And I am sure Aaron's cop brother appreciates him saying publicly that my cop brother got "him off"; nepotism in action.

Edited by DeLurker