Type keyword(s) to search

The Gentlemen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

en-gb-_-season-_-1-_-main-_-main-_-ensem

The Gentlemen is an 8 episode TV Series streaming on March 7, 2024 on Netflix, based on the 2019 Guy Ritchie film of the same name, following American expat Mickey Pearson (Matthew McConaughey), who built a highly profitable London marijuana empire by hiding the plants on the estates of cash-strapped members of the British aristocracy. The TV Series follows a similar theme, but focuses on the British aristocracy.

TG_101_Unit_01700RT3.jpg
en_GB_season_1_main_character_art_-_eddi
Theo James as Eddie Horniman, an English aristocrat and a Captain in the British Army, who is the second son of the Duke of Halstead and as such never expected to inherit anything when his father died, but unexpectedly inherits his father’s 15,000 acre country estate. This estate also contains the largest weed farm in Europe. How will Eddie adapt to his new criminal responsibilities.

F_dy_DGW8AAdz_G?format=jpg&name=4096x409
en_GB_season_1_alternate_character_art_-
Daniel Ings as Freddy Horniman, Eddie’s older bother, who knew he was the heir to a large estate and spent his life at a stream of parties, taking drugs and financing failed businesses ventures. Freddy owes some dangerous people a lot of money. Freddy never got the knack for making money legally, but this new criminal enterprise might just be his calling.

Jasmine Blackborow as Charly Horniman
F_dzAzAXwAEIl7a?format=jpg&name=4096x409
Chanel Cresswell as Tammy Horniman 

F_dzDqoW0AAJ4hO?format=jpg&name=4096x409
Joely Richardson as Lady Sabrina, the Dowager Duchess of Halstead, Eddie and Freddy’s mother. With the appearance of being upstanding and honest, and exuding a chilly maternal gentility, she is hiding a salacious past, and a caustic sense of humor. The smartest person in the room, this mother has concerns as Eddie navigates the peculiarities of the criminal world. 

F_afcn6X0AA4XDv?format=jpg&name=large
Vinnie Jones as Geoff Seacombe, the groundskeeper of Halstead Manor. Stoic, stolid and unswervingly loyal to the Hornimans, Geoff takes a certain pride in knowing his exact place within society's structure and is ever respectful of the line between family and staff. 

The_Gentlemen_n_S1_E1_00_38_17_16.jpg
Giancarlo Esposito as Stanley "Uncle Stan" Johnston, An extravagantly wealthy American dealer and distributor of methamphetamines, who is obsessed with the history, iconography, and architecture of the British aristocracy. Which might explain his fascination with Eddie, the newest Duke of Halstead. Uncle Stan mostly resides in the most exclusive gentlemen's club in London with his manservant.

TG_106_Unit_00309-1_NEW_RT.jpg
Kaya Scodelario as Susie Glass, she oversees her father's Bobby Glass' criminal organization on his behalf. Effortlessly stylish, she can fit into any situation. Eddie Horniman is causing problems that even Susie's sophistication and sophistry can't untangle.
F_afZjWXAAAnScr?format=jpg&name=4096x409

TG_108_Unit_01227_RT.jpg
Ray Winstone as Bobby Glass, a career criminal from the East End of London who founded an industrial cannabis empire

F_dzCIiW8AAP4b7?format=jpg&name=4096x409
Max Beesley as Henry Collins

Harry Goodwins as Jack

Ruby Sear as Gabrielle 

Michael Vu as Jimmy Chang

The_Gentlemen_n_S1_E2_00_10_05_08.jpgPearce Quigley as Gospel John

Peter Serafinowicz

Alexis Rodney 

en-GB_season_1_main_main_ensemble_vertic

• Useful 1

How are more people not watching this? Sat down Saturday night to give the first episode a tryout & ended up watching every other episode on Sunday without stopping.

Absolutely Guy Ritchie at his best with all of his usual caricatures of English gangsters, travelers & misfits. 

Fantastic fun.

• Like 2
On 4/1/2024 at 11:55 AM, Smokeyblow said:

How are more people not watching this? Sat down Saturday night to give the first episode a tryout & ended up watching every other episode on Sunday without stopping.

Absolutely Guy Ritchie at his best with all of his usual caricatures of English gangsters, travelers & misfits. 

Fantastic fun.

I really enjoyed it too.  It took me a bit to get into it, and realize Freddy's an idiot, just roll with it.

I've been talking it up at work, several of the men I work with had watched it.  Friend lent me the dvd of the movie, and it's great too. Same world, same plot to a point, amazing cast.  Hugh Grant, Matthew McConaughey, Michelle Dockery, Colin Farrell (I think he was my favorite) and Jeremy Strong, Charlie Hunnam. 

Check out the movie then watch the series.  Or vice versa. 

2 hours ago, SeanBug said:

Check out the movie then watch the series.  Or vice versa. 

Yeah, I saw the movie some years ago (I think right after it came out because I'm a big Guy Ritchie fan) and thought it was too short! So I was really glad to see this version as well. I do recommend them both though the movie cast is hard to beat.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Yeah, I saw the movie some years ago (I think right after it came out because I'm a big Guy Ritchie fan) and thought it was too short! So I was really glad to see this version as well. I do recommend them both though the movie cast is hard to beat.

I had never been a huge fan of Guy Ritchie, for no particular reason. But the series and esp the movie have set me straight. 

I like how both had the same characters in one way or another, for the most part, except for McConaughey being replaced by Theo James as the character trying to get out from under the business.  Agree the movie cast is fantastic. 

In the series, Vinnie Jones and Joely Richardson's relationship is amazing, and his interaction with the daughter when she comes home was so touching. 

19 hours ago, SeanBug said:

I had never been a huge fan of Guy Ritchie, for no particular reason. But the series and esp the movie have set me straight. 

Well now you will have the pleasure of watching "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" which is the Guy Ritchie movie that sort of defines this whole genre. It is remarkably good - some would say even better than anything he has done since...there is a good sequel too.

• Like 2
On 4/3/2024 at 5:53 PM, isalicat said:

Well now you will have the pleasure of watching "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" which is the Guy Ritchie movie that sort of defines this whole genre. It is remarkably good - some would say even better than anything he has done since...there is a good sequel too.

I watched the movie after watching the series, and I didn't enjoy it as much. Of course there isn't as much time for character development in a 2-hour film vs. an 8-episode series, but I definitely liked the tv series more. 

1 hour ago, topanga said:

I watched the movie after watching the series, and I didn't enjoy it as much. Of course there isn't as much time for character development in a 2-hour film vs. an 8-episode series, but I definitely liked the tv series more. 

I would agree with you as far as "The Gentlemen" the movie vs. the tv series goes. On the other hand, "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" has it all, as far as I am concerned...give it a try!