Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Woman of the Hour

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

(Season Finale)

9YiqfynOtiRNRYaa6ZbZ7BDSCPW.jpg

At the Minx International launch party, Doug confronts Constance, while Joyce starts to lose control of her magazine. Shelly and Lenny look towards an uncertain future.

Premiere Date: September 8, 2023    Starz     9pm

I was expecting another ten episode season so this finale took me by surprise. I hope there's a season three as it's set up that storyline so well, but if this is it it'll be a satisfying ending as everyone [except Doug] seemed to get their priorities right.

Bambi thinking the People's Temple might be the family she's seeking is a terrifying thought. Hopefully Shelly and Lenny's kids will distract her.

• Like 1

Confession: I agree with Constance's objections to the bath house spread. Minx needs to remember who its audience is: women. There may be some overlap between what women and gay men liked about Minx but the magazine is meant for women. If I were a subscriber and suddenly got that bathhouse issue, I'd be wondering what happened to my feminist magazine. Where's the female gaze? (No pun intended

I vehemently disagree with Constance about the Bella LaRouche piece, though. Joyce was absolutely right about how it's a tale of a woman's journey and belongs in the magazine.

Bambi and the People's Temple. No. Just no. Jonestown is not a subject appropriate for a comedy or a dramatic comedy.

As someone who worked in communications before the internet, I appreciated the printer explaining that "stop the presses!" is actually a hell of a lot of trouble.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, marceline said:

Confession: I agree with Constance's objections to the bath house spread. Minx needs to remember who its audience is: women. There may be some overlap between what women and gay men liked about Minx but the magazine is meant for women.

It's 1973. In that context, I can't see how running the bath house spread is a practical business decision. When Joyce told Richie to can the spread, I can take Richie being ticked offI think he knows that and is just done with the magazine. Run an upscale gay magazine then.

I was going to say that I'm surprised he didn't shop around the pictures of the raid to an underground newspaper/magazine. I'm not quite sure what printing the raid in Minx is going to accomplish though? Is it going to torpedo Minx internationally? I'm not so sure.

Nice to see Connie admit that the dance club was a good idea. I kept waiting for Connie to pull the rug out from under Doug. 

So much for the thruple too. Shelly is going for Joyce's favorite professor. 

7 hours ago, marceline said:

I vehemently disagree with Constance about the Bella LaRouche piece, though. Joyce was absolutely right about how it's a tale of a woman's journey and belongs in the magazine.

I don't think that would have been a problem either, but I think it was more a play on Connie 'know your place' to Joyce now that she (Connie) formed the other company. I'm wondering if PRG can use the "Minx" brand, since Joyce owns the IP, if I understood the original deal correctly.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! 😣

Damn it, Doug. You know better not to be in bed (literally!) with a snake. Did you even read what you signed? She knew you were on to her and you needed to be contained. She will be siccing you to her dogs once you’re no longer useful or go against her agendas.

Ruthless Constance has wooed and blinded Joyce, Tina and Doug with the ILLUSION of power. She played all of them like a fiddle. She conveniently deflected some of the decision-making responsibilities only to create frictions.

Thank god Joyce and Tina finally came to their senses. Constance sending Tina to the printer - ala Doug, and her “not for women like us” remark were good wake up calls for these two.

Why all the mock covers for Minx International were creepy and too “try hard”?

Wow, Bambi is f-king rich! I like the idea of her helping Lenny with the kids. But please don’t send her to Lenny’s neighbourhood swinger club or the creepy Jonestown.

The Bottom Dollar gang going rogue to fight for Minx is a great setup for season 3. It will also be great if Doug decides to double-cross Constance.

The gang reunited to celebrate their impending fight - classic Minx. ❤️

2B15962A-B1BA-4102-8FC1-650352B884FD.jpeg

I don't think you're wrong, but I just didn't really get that from the episode. Maybe because the season was so short and there wasn't time to develop Constance's plan more. 

I suppose Doug not reading the fine print on the contract will come back on him. I thought Constance was being more ruthless because Minx is hot and she wants to make a lot of money on the brand. Joyce clearly wasn't really thinking business-wise. Which is fine for her. 

I thought it was more Doug selling out than anything. 

I felt like when Joyce said to Doug, "I wish it was just the two of us again" that he said something like, "It could have been if you weren't so dismissive". 

Given that Joyce owns Minx IP, I can't see why she can take the magazine to another publisher and start over. 

On 9/11/2023 at 5:08 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Given that Joyce owns Minx IP, I can't see why she can take the magazine to another publisher and start over.

I don't recall that being made clear. Given the amount of money Constance poured into the magazine, and the degree of control she had and clearly enjoyed, it would seem odd for her, and undoubtedly her army of savy lawyers, to miss something like that. It's not like publishing a hardcopy magazine was something new, even if the content was. But who knows? 

Constance said early on that Joyce owned 51% of Minx. What "Minx" means in that context might just be the tangible magazine, the IP, or use of "Minx". Throughout this season, Joyce made all the decisions for the magazine, even at the end when Constance didn't want her to. 

It wasn't spelled out clearly though. 

If this was another show, Joyce probably has a case to force Constance to not use the "Minx" name. for Minx International. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic