Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: The Sighted and the Seen

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Maybe this is interpreted through too much of a modern lens, but I find this show increasingly hard to believe because on the Foundation faction you have people risking their lives so that humanity’s “dark period” far in the future is… shorter. An event they likely will not see, and which will happen in any case, isn’t as long. Too abstract for the risk. It would work better for me if Empire continued to be an ass and people fought against him/it. There was more of that last season. This season is more “big picture” and suffers from that. That said, I enjoy the tone and feel of the show. I like how the 3-part trinity is beginning to come apart. Can’t imagine many viewers follow it, though.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Ottis said:

Maybe this is interpreted through too much of a modern lens, but I find this show increasingly hard to believe because on the Foundation faction you have people risking their lives so that humanity’s “dark period” far in the future is… shorter.

The Foundation being in a "religious" phase may explain it. People tend to ignore urgent warnings about pandemics and climate change, but many take predictions of Judgement Day or whatever more seriously. Also, people in the Foundation Verse tend to live longer (Poly is about 150 years old or thereabouts) so things predicted to happens decades from now may have personal impact.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 1

So how many people know Demerzel is a robot? The medical team who saw her with half a head are obviously in on the secret. (unless they had their memories wiped, which would both hide the truth about Demerzel and Day's vulnerability to assassination attempts.)

Edited by marinw
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, marinw said:

So how many people know Demerzel is a robot? The medical team who saw her with half a head are obviously in on the secret. (unless they had their memories wiped, which would both hide the truth about Demerzel and Day's vulnerability to assassination attempts.)

Great point, I had forgotten to add this. At this point I assumed it was fairly well known, at least among those struggling for control. We haven’t seen much effort around security on that matter since early last season. So when it is a revelation here, I was surprised.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, marinw said:

The Foundation being in a "religious" phase may explain it. People tend to ignore urgent warnings about pandemics and climate change, but many take predictions of Judgement Day or whatever more seriously. Also, people in the Foundation Verse tend to live longer (Poly is about 150 years old or thereabouts) so things predicted to happens decades from now may have personal impact.

True, but there are two elements. One is as you say. The other is that the dark period will happen regardless, and my recollection is that it will last much longer than the expanded lifetimes no matter what is done. If there was a focus for religious fervor, a Jesus perhaps, maybe this could be viewed as a religious fight by people who think fighting will land them in nirvana? But we haven’t seen that expressed. Harry is as close as they come to a deity, and he’s severely lacking. So it seems to mostly be altruism, and that seems unlikely on this scale.

• Like 2
On 8/15/2023 at 5:57 AM, marinw said:

Demerzel specifically noted to Day in an earlier episode that she had wiped the memories of all the medical and attending personnel on the day of the attack.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, paramitch said:

Demerzel specifically noted to Day in an earlier episode that she had wiped the memories of all the medical and attending personnel on the day of the attack.

It must be hard for the medical folks to maintain expertise and knowledge with huge holes in their memories.

• Useful 2
28 minutes ago, marinw said:

It must be hard for the medical folks to maintain expertise and knowledge with huge holes in their memories.

True, if it goes wider than the event. Here, all she removed was their knowledge of the attack, not any inherent medical knowledge, so theoretically it should be fine.

But who knows with these people? Especially as Demerzel's definitions are definitely ever-shifting and quite creative?

• Like 2