Type keyword(s) to search

The Changeling - General Discussion

• Start Topic

the-changeling-poster.png

The Changeling is an 8 episode fantasy/horror TV Series with the first three episodes streaming on Apple TV+ on September 8, 2023. The Changeling is based on the 2017 novel by Victor LaValle about a father who is pulled into a strange, scary journey shortly after the birth of his baby boy.

zyuxvD80q2sM22ick7bWHvAiNyf.jpg

The Changeling TV Series is a modern day fairy tale that weaves a story about the horrors of parenthood and the perilous nature of New York City. Apollo and Emma’s love story seems like a fairy tale until Emma starts to act oddly after the birth of their son, Brian. Exhaustion, anxiety, postpartum depression, what causes Emma to commit a horrific act and then vanish? Apollo must find his wife and child, his only lead is a mysterious stranger who claims to have information about Emma’s whereabouts. This results in a quest that takes him to a fantastical New York City he didn’t know existed. Apollo is once again experiencing the strange recurring dreams he had as child when his father disappeared, leaving behind only a box of books stamped with the word IMPROBABILIA.

the-changeling-release-date-apple-tv-plu

Adina Porter as Lillian Kagwa, the single mother of Apollo

Alexis Louder as Young Lillian Kagwa

Jared Abrahamson as Brian West, Lillian Kagwa’s husband, a parole officer

Lakeith Stanfield as Apollo Kagwa, a used book dealer in New York City, scraping by by scouring estate and garage sales for rare first editions

Clark Backo as Emma, wife of Apollo, a librarian

Amirah Vann as Kim Valentine, Emma’s sister and last remaining family member

Malcolm Barrett as Patrice Green, Apollo’s best friend, ex-veteran and fellow book enthusiast

Samuel T. Herring as William Wheeler, a man who befriends Stanfield’s Apollo in a quest to win back his wife and child

Victor LaValle (The Author of The Changeling) as The Narrator

080823_Trailer_Gripping_New_Series_Chang

Edited by AnimeMania

The Changeling      September 8, 2023   Apple TV+        

Episodes 1-3   Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: First Comes Love

738x416.webp

A bookseller from Queens meets a librarian from Virginia. They fall in love, marry, have a baby—and trigger an unimaginable series of events.

Changeling_E01.thumb.jpg.b0a0f0583ef8390fc3c558aca2e855b6.jpg

S01.E02: Then Comes a Baby in a Baby Carriage

738x416.webp

The exhaustion of new parenthood is taking its toll on Emma and Apollo. To make matters worse, Emma starts getting strange texts.

Changeling_E02.thumb.jpg.ef0609297bee2390707c75d22e7c7258.jpg

S01.E03: *

738x416.webp

Emma does the unthinkable. Apollo tries to find meaning in the aftermath—and finally decides what to do with his valuable book.

I’m sticking with this so far; it it’s definitely pinged my creepy radar. 

Spoiler

How Emma intends to find the one Norwegian Spruce is beyond me. How will she even know if it’s the right one? 

The pace of this seems deliberate and building yet at other times seems to slog. 

• Like 1
On 10/6/2023 at 6:00 AM, Mindthinkr said:

I’m going to watch this episode this morning, but with some hesitancy. It gave me a lot of nightmares over the past week. Anyone else? 

No, but this episode spends a lot of time in a dark motel room, with lighting that makes me feel ill, so I've started and stopped it, three times. My head space isn't the best, so I'm more in the mood for something like Ted Lasso. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Ok. I watched this ending. Am I stupid or did I just miss the whole point of this? 

If you're stupid then so am I  - What exactly happened here? Do I need to watch the whole thing over, maybe pausing each scene to see what I missed?

Is there going to be another season? Did I forget to watch an episode that makes sense of the ending?  What is my name again?  How did I get here?

In all seriousness though, I am so confused.  There's so much genuinely intriguing stuff going on here, along with great acting and many allusions to all kinds of ancient mythology and urban mythology but I just can't make sense of the plot.  Help, someone, please.

• Love 1