Type keyword(s) to search

Last Call: When A Serial Killer Stalked Queer New York

• Start Topic

The HBO Original four-part documentary series LAST CALL: WHEN A SERIAL KILLER STALKED QUEER NEW YORK from director Anthony Caronna ("Pride") and executive producer Howard Gertler (HBO's Oscar(R)-nominated "All the Beauty and the Bloodshed," "How To Survive A Plague") debuts SUNDAY, JULY 9 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT) on HBO and will be available to stream on Max, with new episodes debuting subsequent Sundays at the same time. Executive producers of the series include Charlize Theron, Liz Garbus, Dan Cogan, Jon Bardin, and Kate Barry, and it is a production of Story Syndicate (HBO's "I'll Be Gone In The Dark"), and based on the award-winning book "Last Call: A True Story of Love, Lust and Murder in Queer New York" by Elon Green.

Synopsis: In the early 1990s, with homophobia and hate crimes on the rise as the AIDS crisis worsens, a serial killer preys upon gay men in New York City, infiltrating queer nightlife to find his victims. A gripping, investigative crime story, LAST CALL: WHEN A SERIAL KILLER STALKED QUEER NEW YORK also dives deeply into the prejudices and attitudes of the times, when deep-rooted biases in the criminal justice system and the media's distorted public perception of the victims undermined the investigation and enabled a brutal killer to prey on a marginalized populace. The complexities of the closet combined with a long-standing mistrust of law enforcement further complicated the case. It also highlights the heroic efforts of activists, including the NYC Anti-Violence Project, to force law enforcement to recognize and protect the queer community.

Press release with episode descriptions: http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2023/06/21/hbo-original-docuseries-last-call-when-a-serial-killer-stalked-queer-new-york-debuts-july-9-766212/20230621hbo02/

• Like 1

This is one series I wish I could binge.  It started really strong and I like that the focus is on the victims and the circumstances the LGBTQ community faced in reporting crimes. 

Now I'm sure Ryan Murphy will try to make a mini-series of the book this is based on and focus on the killer. 

• Like 2
On 7/9/2023 at 9:25 PM, Irlandesa said:

Now I'm sure Ryan Murphy will try to make a mini-series of the book this is based on and focus on the killer. 

I shudder at the thought, Ryan Murphy is garbage.

The first episode was so engrossing, looking forward to the rest of the episodes.

• Like 2
On 7/13/2023 at 12:23 AM, cpcathy said:

I shudder at the thought, Ryan Murphy is garbage.

The first episode was so engrossing, looking forward to the rest of the episodes.

He already did. Check out the most recent season of AHS.

I didn't realize it at the time and I was a young adult in NYC at the time this happened, with a lot of gay friends and somehow knew none of this.