Type keyword(s) to search

S15.W06 (E25-E29)

• Start Topic

I've been waiting for you guys! As always I'm behind but only by one episode this time!

I miss the hilarious recaps they had last year but with Jock's death there's probably not much scope to poke fun at things.

• Wink 1

Goodbye, Phil.  I honestly thought you'd last a bit longer than that but you're just not blokey or tradie enough.

A few random thoughts...

• I cracked up when Cath announced to the viewing public after round 1, "Yay! I got the clap!" But to be fair, she did a lot better in that challange than I expected since she's not a female Declan who reminds us every 10 minutes how good she is with seafood.
  • I still get very sad watching Jock this season but I did chuckle when he and the other judges were discussing with Rick Stein how many dishes one could make with squid and Jock said, "Really, the world is their oyster."  Errr...
  • Is Rue genuinely surprised about things (such as when her prawn stew wasn't too prawn-y after all) or is she the world's worst humble-bragger?
  • Malissa has more lives than a cat.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)

S15•E25 - Rick Stein Travel Elimination Challenge

Theo and Grace are safe, yay!

Phil’s spaghetti con anatra is one of the ugliest dish I’ve seen on MC. Judging by the reactions of other contestants, I guess Phil is a nice and likeable guy. Good luck out there, mate!

Ralph reinventing the croque madame, it doesn’t look yummy either.

Great plan B, Malissa! It buys you another week in MC kitchen. Hmm.

I feel like Rick Stein’s episodes are always boring - traveling around the world, international cuisines bla bla bla. And the squid masterclass, I have a feeling of déjà vu. We have seen it before, right?

Not looking forward to Curtis Stone & the usual product placement that comes with him. And I really don’t wanna see Cath or Rhiannon “wetting” themselves (remember the promo???). 😣

Promo for Josh Niland’s episode is really nauseating. So OTT. 🙄

“If you can nail this, you will be a hero and go down in history.”

“To impress a superstar chef, Brent will create the most unbelievable dish.”

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
(edited)
3 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

“If you can nail this, you will be a hero and go down in history.”

Yes, that one had me reaching for the bucket too.  🤮

So, tonight's episode...I have to say that I don't like this bottom three of Grace, Adi and Theo 😔 But I think if Grace is sick of messing around with olives and Adi doesn't want to continue in general practice, both of them will have a role somewhere on a cooking show because I've rarely seen two such nice, telegenic and articulate contestants in the one season of Masterchef.

Excited to see Luke Nguyen tomorrow because he's the only well-known chef I've actually met!  I had dinner at his Fat Noodle restaurant with a friend a few years back and he came up to our table to see if we liked the food and were enjoying ourseves.  He was very nice but I only realised it was him after he left the table and we both did a double take.  But was he really looking into a pot in the previews talking about penises? 🤯

Still seeing a bit of repetition from some of the contestants.  Ralph seems to like crumbed stuff on meat and did it again tonight.  How many times has Rhiannon made Thai-inspired dishes now and what was really so revolutionary about tonight's version? 

I'm glad in the last couple of episodes that the judges' efforts of messing with contestants' heads didn't make them change their dishes, firstly Ralph with his "reimagined" croque madame and Declan today with his blackberry sauce. 

And the squid masterclass, I have a feeling of déjà vu. We have seen it before, right?

Not only that, we've also seen Josh Niland demonstrating how to cut up a fish before too.

Edited by katisha
  • Like 1

S15•E26 - John Dory Mystery Box Challenge

What’s the point of having the John Dory’s demonstration if the contestants don’t have to butcher the fish themselves? They’re so pampered and they’ll never learn.

So, the most unbelievable dish is actually John Dory’s corndog with curry sauce. Yeah Brent, whatevs! 🙄

Am so tired of hearing the word “fish guy” multiple times in this episode. Enough already. Why do you want to box yourself that way Deccy? Branch out and explore things.

I cannot believe that Cath and Rhiannon are safe again! They make it into the Top 10 just by cooking average dishes.

Rhiannon starts cooking her fish in the last 8 minutes. She struggles with the hibachi. There’s no way those pieces are cooked perfectly. Something is fishy. Every time she puts up a dish, it is “her on the plate”. Every f-king time. 🙄

Both Theo and Grace are in the pressure test tomorrow. I don’t like this. Please be safe, please please please! And the promo makes me scared for Theo. 😬

• Like 1

If Brent and Rhiannon were the judges, they'd definitely also be the final two. The smugness! Once again, the (actual) judges made it sound like Brent's dish (which sounded horrible to me, although I've been a vegetarian for most of my life) was glossy and beautiful and inherently stunning despite having almost nothing specific to say about why. Brent, your food is spicy, amazing! Brent, your dish used a lot of offal, amazing!

I'm not convinced.

I laughed out loud at Mel calling Declan "intellectual." I'm guessing that's the first time that adjective has ever been used to describe him. That being said, I would rather see him win than Brent.

Grace's happy turned to 11 energy does not work for me but it's very on brand for the show, so I'll choose to be more annoyed by Cath and Rhiannon.

Looking forward to how the editors incorporate penis into the show's narrative arc. There's a lot of potential for talking heads (no pun intended) and dishes involving balls and spheres and shards and squirts of cream. 

• LOL 1

😭😭😭😭😭 I just came on to say I've warmed to Adi and now I find out she's in the bottom 3????? Noooooooooo

I like all of the people in the pressure test. Why is everyone who is irritating safe????? Why MC Gods, why?????????

• Hugs 1
(edited)

Well, whatever anyone thinks of Grace, I'd say we'd all be on the same page regarding how both she and Alice probably deserved a spot in the top 10 a lot more than other inhabitants I could name *cough*Rue*cough*Rhiannon.  Classic case of one bad day bringing her undone.  I for one will miss her cheerful spirit.  She's kind of like the antithesis of a MAFS contestant in every possible way!

The editors really tried hard to make it seem like Theo wasn't going to make it through today, which made me pretty confident he would, just as much as Adi's hubris made me think for sure it'd be her getting eliminated.

I think now that we're into the top 10, I need to check out Sportsbet for some spoilers... I can't take the suspense anymore lol!

And now for tomorrow night, Curtis Stone and Rhiannon and Cath wetting themselves!

Edited to add - well, what do you know!  Apparently nobody can bet on Masterchef anymore because the show runners got sick of the winner always being leaked.  And fair enough, too, because for as long as I can remember the market framers have always got it right.

Edited by katisha
  • Like 2

S15•E27 - Luke Nguyen's No Recipe Beef Pho Pressure Test

Oh noooooooooo, Grace! 😭😭😭

Am glad Theo is safe. Nice try editors for trying so hard to make it seems like he’s in a lot of trouble.

If Jock doesn’t give a hint to Adi re the water temperature, will there be a different outcome of today’s elimination?

An episode of Benjamin Cooper’s no recipe jungle curry pressure test is way more enjoyable than this episode. I definitely won’t be eating this beef pho, no thank you! Casually informing the bottom 3 trio about the bull’s P while they’re eating the pho, it’s kinda mean, don’t you think? It feels non-consensual too.

Cath is extra noisy today. We keep hearing her voice from the gantry. STFU! 🤬

So, we have the weakest Top 10 this year with many of them are mediocre, one-trick-pony. Grace and Alice really deserve to be in Top 10, both aren’t afraid to try something new.

Seeing the four of them laughing, having a good time on the gantry, it makes me so angry! I just can’t…

😡😤☹️😣

A33F56BF-3468-440B-A302-22C77715504E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
12 hours ago, katisha said:

Well, whatever anyone thinks of Grace, I'd say we'd all be on the same page regarding how both she and Alice probably deserved a spot in the top 10 a lot more than other inhabitants I could name *cough*Rue*cough*Rhiannon.  Classic case of one bad day bringing her undone.  I for one will miss her cheerful spirit.  She's kind of like the antithesis of a MAFS contestant in every possible way!

I hope I didn't seem overly negative about Grace. Her persona on the show would be hard for me to take in real life, but it's not like I thought she deserved to be eliminated or edited out of the show because of it. Just a matter of personal, subjective reactions. Anyway, I agree with all of what you said except that I don't remember who Alice is.

I would add Cath to the list of people I would rather not be in the top ten. Does she deserve to be? I don't know. I'm not sure anyone really knows!

I was disappointed by the lack of comedic penis mileage but I guess the producers didn't want to thrust too many phallic jokes in our faces.

• LOL 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Aerobicidal said:

I hope I didn't seem overly negative about Grace. Her persona on the show would be hard for me to take in real life, but it's not like I thought she deserved to be eliminated or edited out of the show because of it. Just a matter of personal, subjective reactions. Anyway, I agree with all of what you said except that I don't remember who Alice is.

All good! Grace probably would be one of those people who is up at 5am and able to be sunny and cheerful without caffeine, and that would bug the crap out of me! 😂 But in the nasty, conniving landscape of Aussie reality shows where bitchiness and backstabbing are celebrated and rewarded, to me Grace is a reminder of why I continue watching MC even with all its annoyances.

Alice was the Harvard-educated braniac scientist. Ring a bell? 😊

Edited by katisha
  • Like 1

I wasn't ever wowed by Grace but agree she was better than some still left.

Was this the first time we'd heard Theo's "former fat kid" sob story? I feel like I've had to sit through entire documentaries on Brent and Declan's lives, but all I knew about Theo up until now was "good at bread." 

I guess Theo remains my favourite.

Antonio is the dark horse I'm waiting to break out of the middle-of-the-pack. I've warmed up to Adi and still like Rue, even though she has been boring lately. 

I have warmed to Declan over time, but his wide-eyed schtick still wears thin -- he said the other day he'd been to Mexico several times, yet he allegedly couldn't pronounce even basic Spanish food words? I guess if a Tradie McBloke must win this year, I far prefer him to Brent. 

Everyone else is whatever, with Malissa as my predicted next elimination. 

Are no betting sites doing MC this year? I can't find the odds anywhere. 

(edited)
16 hours ago, retrograde said:

Are no betting sites doing MC this year? I can't find the odds anywhere. 

I couldn't either, @retrograde, and the reason seems to be that the show's producers don't allow it anymore because the spoilers in the last few years have always been 100% on the money!

Thank God Declan stuffed up cooking those steaks because it wouldn't have taken much for him to start calling himself "the steak guy" as well as "the fish guy".  And again, talk about a team challenge without any suspense.  Right from the time the Brown Team spent 45 minutes discussing their dishes without doing a single iota of prep, it was clear they didn't have a hope of winning.  

Rhiannon's victory dance was a bit obnoxious after that win because it's not like she had much to do with it (unless undercooking some pieces of beetroot was part of the brief).  There's always a couple of contestants in team challenges who never seem to be pulling their weight and I'm not quite sure why Adi had to spend 2.5 hours on a green sauce, but what would I know! 

@Snazzy Daisy, your "Chaotic Cath" nickname is very well deserved by that contestant.  God, she's hopeless in challenges, but for all that I would have given her a place in the top 10 over her mate Rhiannon because overall she is more versatile, I reckon (not that that's saying much).

Edited by katisha
I carnt speel!
  • Like 1
(edited)

S15•E28 - Root Vegetable Service Challenge

Hey Andy, what is “brushy-brushy”? 😳

I cannot believe the Brown team has wasted 1/3 of their time just to decide on their menu and its concept. What advantage? They don’t even bother to appoint a team captain.

When Chaotic Cath starts talking about PTSD, I yell at my screen:

”PTSD my ass! You get flustered & you just want some TLC from Curtis. I can see right thru you, lady. And you’re not an ice cream queen.”

🙄🙄🙄

We see Antonio working on the pie shell and filling on his own, no help from Cath. After putting her spiced ice cream in the blast chiller, what does she do afterwards other than talking and walking around? How can she forget about the caramel? So irresponsible, geez! 🙄

Malissa has a different mindset when working with Declan on their main. She prepares everything else and let him focus on the steaks.

Deccy boy, Curtis won’t hire you because you can’t even differentiate between raw & rare.

Rhiannon’s victory dance is so OTT since she screws-up the featured ingredient. Tomorrow, we’ll see her with another “me-on-the-plate” dish, just to impress Curtis. 🙄

Re the Green team’s dessert - goats cheese crémeux with beetroot consommé, I think this is more of Ralph’s thing than Rue. Just an observation…

4 hours ago, katisha said:

@Snazzy Daisy, your "Chaotic Cath" nickname is very well deserved by that contestant.  God, she's hopeless in challenges.

Hahaha! 😝

I don’t understand this woman at all. Doesn’t she realize how annoying she can be? Cath badgering Antonio, asking whether the pies are cooked perfectly, it’s painful to watch. Why bother about the pies so much when you simply forget about the f-king caramel. The nerve! Ugh.

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
  • Like 2
22 hours ago, katisha said:

All good! Grace probably would be one of those people who is up at 5am and able to be sunny and cheerful without caffeine, and that would bug the crap out of me! 😂 But in the nasty, conniving landscape of Aussie reality shows where bitchiness and backstabbing are celebrated and rewarded, to me Grace is a reminder of why I continue watching MC even with all its annoyances.

Alice was the Harvard-educated braniac scientist. Ring a bell? 😊

The only Australian show I watch more regularly than Masterchef is Gogglebox--which is why I know what you're talking about re: nasty/conniving reality shows*, but only through clips. And yes, I do remember Alice now--vaguely.

Wednesdays and Thursday are usually the least interesting episodes for me, and today was no exception. I was hoping they'd say Theo fell ill after yesterday's penis overdose.

The only other comment I have is that I like Curtis Stone much more after seeing him on . . . Gogglebox! Same goes for Andy and Matt Preston. It would be cool if Mel were in a future celebrity episode, if they do another one.

*The clips of MAFS are just unbelievable to me. I can see why people are addicted to it but I can also see why people interpret it as a sign the apocalypse is nigh.

• LOL 2
15 hours ago, katisha said:

I couldn't either, @retrograde, and the reason seems to be that the show's producers don't allow it anymore because the spoilers in the last few years have always been 100% on the money!

Ahhhh thanks. I guess they are saving me from myself, so I should be grateful.

• LOL 1
20 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

Hey Andy, what is “brushy-brushy”?

I believe it's a technical term for "glaze", @Snazzy Daisy, but since I'm not a proper real chef like Andy I really can't be sure. 😉

So, tonight's episode...

Coles Coles Coles Coles.. oh, God, of course Brent is going to make the final three... Coles Coles Coles... gah, not Rhiannon too... Coles Coles Coles Coles... hmm, if Rue wins this will she be even more potentially insufferable?... Coles... is it just me or do Rhiannon's and Brent's condiments sound pretty similar... Coles Coles Coles ... can Rhiannon cook ANYTHING without chilli in it.. Coles Coles... can Brent cook ANYTHING without using the hibachi... Coles Coles Coles Coles Coles.

Did I miss anything out? 

• Fire 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)

S15•E29 - Condiment Immunity Challenge

What a weird challenge especially the Round 1 where the judges just eat a spoonful of condiment without food. They say that a good condiment will elevate a dish, so what are you doing? Why not give them a total of 120 mins to develop a proper condiment and the pairing dish.

The way the judges + Curtis “promoting” and exaggerating about the advantage of the winning condiment makes me laugh. MKR has done this years ago!

Congrats Rue! I hope she notices on the keyword here - LIMITED TIME. The devil is in the details.

This episode really highlights that Rue is not a confident cook - always doubting herself and when the judges give her some good feedbacks, she always looks surprised.

Thank god Rhiannon doesn’t win or else we will be burdened with more taglines from her:  
➡️ “It is me in a bottle/jar”    
➡️ “It is me on the shelves”   

3 hours ago, katisha said:

I believe it's a technical term for "glaze", but since I'm not a proper real chef like Andy I really can't be sure. 😉

Based on his hand gesture, he definitely means “glaze”. 😆

3 hours ago, katisha said:

Did I miss anything out? 

This is also a testosterone-driven episode, thanks to Culinary Ken… 😂

giphy.gif

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
  • LOL 1

Declan is a sweetie. I loved him in the team challenge. He tries unlike that incompetent Cath who flaps around like a useless chicken in every team challenge. I warned to Malissa too. Haha I think it's probably just incompetent Cath, making everyone look better.

I always enjoy the Curtis episodes. He's very strict! I feel like the contestants get a shock when they realize how strict he is! 

Secret: The producers are giving Malissa such little air time that it will take less than an hour to edit her out of the entire season.

Surprise: She will be arrested for several international crimes later this summer. Someone on the production team knows that, thus explaining her edit.

Secret: Declan had no chance of being eliminated in this episode.

Surprise: The editors apparently thought people are too dumb to realize that and tried to troll us. They failed.

Secret: It's possible for Andy to pull off a gray suit with a t-shirt, at least arguably.

Surprise: He added ugly tennis shoes to prove he doesn't give a shit.

Secret: This episode was longer than Brent's facial hair.

Surprise: I hate to say this, but Brent seems like the best cook there, although I don't really have a favorite to win yet.

• LOL 1