Type keyword(s) to search

Rock Hudson: All That Heaven Allowed

• Start Topic

HBO documentary that premieres Wednesday June 28 at 9pm ET

Explores the actor's public and private lives and how he kept his homosexuality a secret until after his death from AIDS

• Like 2

I just saw this trailer and came to start a thread for it- thank you. I am looking forward to watching. I know sometimes attractiveness is based on what’s being sold as popular etc, but Rock Hudson was handsome and sexy by ANY standard. 

• Like 3

I did not finish it because I got sleepy(I will finish it tonight) but does anyone know where I can watch All that Heaven Allows in the USA? I don’t mind renting it but it seems impossible to stream??

Also- Rock Hudson was so damn fine I don’t see how anyone could resist him🥰😂.

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I did not finish it because I got sleepy(I will finish it tonight) but does anyone know where I can watch All that Heaven Allowed in the USA? I don’t mind renting it but it seems impossible to stream??

Also- Rock Hudson was so damn fine I don’t see how anyone could resist him🥰😂.

Do you have Max?

3 hours ago, DanaK said:

Do you have Max?

Yup that’s where I was watching the documentary. 

I meant where can I find the original movie from the 50s All that Heaven Allows, I haven’t seen it in YEARS.

58 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yup that’s where I was watching the documentary. 

I meant where can I find the original movie from the 50s All that Heaven Allowed, I haven’t seen it in YEARS.

Ah sorry, misunderstood. It's actually called "All That Heaven Allows". 

If you have a Roku, you can get a subscription to one of the streaming services mentioned or possibly a free trial https://www.roku.com/whats-on/movies/all-that-heaven-allows?id=eff860fb90e65fbb9bbe0f4faefeef78

You could check Amazon.com for a DVD or Blu-ray of the movie as it seems to have some or check your local library

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

Ah sorry, misunderstood. It's actually called "All That Heaven Allows". 

If you have a Roku, you can get a subscription to one of the streaming services mentioned or possibly a free trial https://www.roku.com/whats-on/movies/all-that-heaven-allows?id=eff860fb90e65fbb9bbe0f4faefeef78

You could check Amazon.com for a DVD or Blu-ray of the movie as it seems to have some or check your local library

No that was my fault! Let me edit. Thanks. 

I finished the documentary. Again- Rock was magnetic, and devastatingly handsome but during his role in Dynasty he did look like he had aged 15yrs between 1984-5 because he was sick. Hearing Linda Evans talk about the stress of the kissing scene not knowing he was trying to protect her- I understand why she emotional about it even after all these years. And those people who wouldn’t work with Linda or associate with her after the fact- awful. 

I can only imagine how terrified Rock must’ve been- not only did no one know much about this disease, but this was a man who’d spent his life being an “alpha”, renowned for his beauty, had to hide himself in exchange for fame and fortune, to die of a disease which “outed” him to the public. I can believe that he gave people hope, when his ex said “Famous people don’t get sick.”- famous people are human too. 

Rock Hudson died the day before I was born. My mom says she remembered seeing the announcement on the news after her c-section. My great aunt B was a huge fan (for her Rock Hudson and Clark Gable were the shit) of his too.

So many gay men of that generation lost friends and loved ones. From a documentary perspective, I wish they would keep people’s names on screens!

• Like 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

So many gay men of that generation lost friends and loved ones. From a documentary perspective, I wish they would keep people’s names on screens!

Especially since so much of the doc was pictures and clips with  many of the interviews being voiceovers only.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 6/29/2023 at 9:15 AM, Scarlett45 said:

but does anyone know where I can watch All that Heaven Allows in the USA? I don’t mind renting it but it seems impossible to stream??

I was going to point you to the Criterion Channel because I was under the impression their entire collection was available to stream. Well, I checked and ... apparently it's not! Anyway, Douglas Sirk directed Rock Hudson in three films, All that Heaven Allows, Magnificent Obsession, and Written on the Wind. I bought all three from Criterion a long time ago. They are all amazing and I can't recommend them enough. Perhaps you can find a used copy of them on eBay? Looks like they're going for around $12. 

On 6/29/2023 at 10:30 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I finished the documentary. Again- Rock was magnetic, and devastatingly handsome but during his role in Dynasty he did look like he had aged 15yrs between 1984-5 because he was sick. Hearing Linda Evans talk about the stress of the kissing scene not knowing he was trying to protect her- I understand why she emotional about it even after all these years. And those people who wouldn’t work with Linda or associate with her after the fact- awful. 

I can only imagine how terrified Rock must’ve been- not only did no one know much about this disease, but this was a man who’d spent his life being an “alpha”, renowned for his beauty, had to hide himself in exchange for fame and fortune, to die of a disease which “outed” him to the public. I can believe that he gave people hope, when his ex said “Famous people don’t get sick.”- famous people are human too. 

Rock Hudson died the day before I was born. My mom says she remembered seeing the announcement on the news after her c-section. My great aunt B was a huge fan (for her Rock Hudson and Clark Gable were the shit) of his too.

At the time it was thought any kissing could transmit AIDS.  If he wanted to “protect” her he would have not put her in danger. She has way more sympathy than most people would have. But as for the treatment of those with AIDS & their companions, it was horrible. Remember what was done to that child, Ryan White😔

• Like 2
3 hours ago, chediavolo said:

At the time it was thought any kissing could transmit AIDS.  If he wanted to “protect” her he would have not put her in danger. She has way more sympathy than most people would have. But as for the treatment of those with AIDS & their companions, it was horrible. Remember what was done to that child, Ryan White😔

I thought in 1985 it was known in the scientific community that kissing couldn’t give you HIV. I am sorry I was mistaken. 

Yes I remember hearing of Ryan White and how horribly he was treated (along with his mother). 

(edited)
On 7/2/2023 at 8:33 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I thought in 1985 it was known in the scientific community that kissing couldn’t give you HIV. I am sorry I was mistaken. 

You're not wrong. By 1983, the scientific community knew that it was transmitted through sexual activity, blood, and needles.  But because HIV wasn't discussed openly, myths about transmission persisted in the general population. Some people thought it could be transmitted through kissing for a long time after it was known by people who paid attention to the news around HIV that it would take an extraordinarily rare set of circumstances for that to happen.

That doesn't mean everyone in the general population was ignorant about how HIV was transmitted, though.  It's why I don't think Linda was wrong to be certain that Rock was trying to protect her by limiting the amount of saliva they swapped or not be scared that he gave her HIV.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1