Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/22/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Was he accurate in his statement that in two years, with control of the White House, Senate, and House, Democrats didn't do anything to ban or restrict certain guns? 

No. The Bipartisan Safer Communities Act was signed by President Biden in June 2022. It wasn't nearly what the Democrats wanted but it was the first gun control legislation passed in 30 years so it was a start. Senator Chris Murphy is the crusader for this cause and was the leader in manoeuvring it through congress. Info about the bill can by found on Wikipedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipartisan_Safer_Communities_Act

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

Whoopi has made that comment about American Idol once before and it was just as convoluted then. 

Sara has been making some choice arguments lately. I can’t tell if she’s trying to assert her “independence” or really believes it. I was glad Sunny pushed back on the Target nonsense. She also is trying to prop up Alyssa but Alyssa rarely returns the favor.

Alyssa is disappointing perpetuating the Satanist nonsense. She knows what she’s doing.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, geekburger said:

Alyssa is disappointing perpetuating the Satanist nonsense. She knows what she’s doing.

She is just showing herself to be a team player.  She is less obnoxious about it than Meghan and Elisabeth but she is going to support her team.  I'm waiting to see how she acts during Primary season.

Thursday - Oh Whoopi, how are you not working in IT?  To be fair, internet-based events are sometimes underpowered. That's Twitter's problem, not DeSantis'. Their infrastructure failed. Obviously, not the best platform for a big announcement. Blame Musk, he's the Twitter guy, but you (Whoopi) can't say, "This is why you can't be President" to DeSantis; he has no control over tech problems.

Would the world be better if women were in charge? Interesting question - depends on the woman and the situation. I'm not sure Whoopi's grasp of European history WRT queens is that great, but one point was made which makes some sense - in a situation dominated by men, women often have to adopt a more aggressive position to be involved. World leaders of any gender aren't going to be shrinking violets or defer to other people in order to keep the peace.

Also, how much history is going to get crammed into the public school curriculum? Even when I was in school (in the last century), the scope of history class was limited, because it was only one part of the curriculum. The question is whether teachers encourage enough independent study to cover all the nooks and crannies of history that aren't covered by the broad-based classes. If there are enough intriguing questions in class, students may pursue further learning, but face it, most high school students aren't in that mode, especially at this time of their lives. Many times, I've learned of things that weren't covered by my formal education, but they did interest me enough to research some on my own. The sources are there; the options for learning are there - someone just has to follow the threads. 

• Like 1