Type keyword(s) to search

Once Upon A Time In Northern Ireland - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Its decent, a challenging watch, and I'd really recommend watching it if you can.
It shows the powder keg exploding and how it affected generations. A good mix of interviewees. All episodes are on the iPlayer now.

Edited by Aulty
  • Like 3
(edited)
On 5/23/2023 at 2:53 PM, Aulty said:

Its decent, a challenging watch, and I'd really recommend watching it if you can. All episodes are on the iPlayer now.

And to note, in the US, you do not need special access, like Passport, to watch it on PBS.org or the PBS app (and it's available to stream as of yesterday). And as noted in a previous post, if you can't access PBS via streaming, PBS will show all 5 parts on linear PBS in late August

I hope to get to this some time in the next few months as it sounds really interesting

Edited by DanaK

I saw one episode on regular old PBS last night.  It was about the prisoners in the Maze and the hunger strikes.  They interviewed three women with different ties to the Maze:  one whose husband was in prison; one whose husband was murdered by the IRA; and one whose father was one of the hunger strikers who died.

Since one of my guilty pleasures is watching Alone, it's worth noting that these guys made it 60+ days on nothing but water.

• Like 1

I’m watching this on PBS. Being young and in the US at the time I didn’t pay attention to conflicts of what was going on in the world other than where I lived. That whole situation was horrific and went on for a long time. 
I’m not feeling sorry for any of the former IRA members or the other terrorist groups. So much senseless killing and chaos. 

• Like 1