Type keyword(s) to search

Victim/Suspect

DanaK
  • Start Topic

Netflix documentary streaming on May 23. A look at how the criminal justice system views and treats sexual assault victims, including charging victims with making false reports

On her first solo investigation, journalist Rae de Leon travels nationwide to uncover a shocking pattern: Young women tell the police they've been sexually assaulted, but instead of finding justice, they're charged with the crime of making a false report, arrested, and even imprisoned by the system they believed would protect them.

I knew this documentary was going to be infuriating but I watched before bed anyway.  I'm going to have a tough time sleeping.

And the cases against victims are often used as "proof" that victims can lie and should really be only used in the most obvious cases where a victim lies.  And yet, at least with the cases highlighted here, that's not the case.

Especially disgusting was the interview with the son of the prominent figure where the cop couldn't stop coddling and admiring him. 

• Like 1

This should be required viewing.  The scope of the problem was eye-opening even to many in the know - and that it's a problem in the first place will probably be a revelation to many - and this is very well done.

For everyone who wants to deflect from conversations about the epidemic of sexual violence (reports constitute only about 30% of all such crimes committed) to talk instead about the damage done by the tiny percentage of those reports that are false, this shows that the percentage of false reports is even smaller than the statistics show -- cops use the same tactics used to elicit false confessions to elicit false recantations.  So sometimes even when a victim has plead guilty to filing a false report, the report was not in fact false; she's just so far deep in this nightmare where she's the one in cuffs she will agree to a plea bargain.

I like showing the contrast between how long the victims' "interviews" (which quickly turned into interrogations) lasted and the short little "we don't want this to ruin your life" chats the good ol' boys had with the suspects (when they bothered to talk to them at all!).  I appreciated the retired cop explaining the various ways police lie to get someone to say what they want them to say so they can mark "closed with arrest" on the file, never mind if the victim is the one they arrested.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 5/24/2023 at 1:36 AM, Irlandesa said:

Especially disgusting was the interview with the son of the prominent figure where the cop couldn't stop coddling and admiring him. 

I hope TJ gets killed by the animals he tries to shoot on his next safari hunt.

Seriously, any guy with that many taxidermy trophies—not to mention exotic ones that should be illegal to shoot— is a walking red flag.

That pretty much sums up all the anger I feel after watching this.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1