Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E02: Wheelhouse Bound

• Start Topic

Sig gets tough news at sea forcing the Hansens to make a critical decision as John and Andy lend a hand. With wheelhouse ambitions, Jacob hits a wall with Keith on the Wizard. New captain Jack crosses a line when Harley makes a deal with Jake.

Jake's temper is way out of control. Hope he gets help with that. Last thing he needs is more pressure of another boat. Looks like he's running away from stuff by being "ambitious" - better to buckle down and heal now while relatively young or he's going to be another one of these guys who loses everything by the time they're 50.

That said, screw that other guy, and Harley, too. Might feel good to be "the villain" in the moment, but just see how it pays dividends in the future.

For maybe the first time, I didn't mind Keith yelling at the "just catch crab" guy.

The Linda Greenlaw thing was interesting - I read her first couple of books years and years ago. Hated the casting of her for the movie (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, who couldn't convey the grit and just sounded like she was whining.) Might be interesting for her to take Sig and Bill fishing back East.

Interesting about Jonathan - wonder if he remembers the names and grudges against the male captains who outdid him, or just focused his ire on the famous woman who did? That said? It's an ugly fishery up here and I don't NOT believe she wouldn't have joined in efforts to chase out an outsider.

Edited by kassa

Jake needs some anger management training. Him destroying that radio and slamming stuff around and stomping it was scary. He's way out of control. He makes Keith look sane. 

Harley is a douchenozzle and so is Jack. 

That was really sad about Sigs mom.  😞

Edited by Stevie Nicks

It was funny how Jack didn't tell Harley what he had done.  That makes him the sleaziest of them.  I really haven't minded Harley but that could have been because of the CM. :)  Jake really does need to get a grip on his anger.  Destroying the radio and all was just so unnecessary.  His anger clouds his judgment at times.  Maybe Jake and Keith could go to anger management classes together but then again, remember how Sig was in those first years.

I like that Linda is there.  New blood and we know that she can fish.  I do find it interesting that she got some crab quota when some of the "regular" crabbers didn't. I am looking forward to more of Linda. 

Is Edgar still on the NW?  I noticed that when they had a problem, Sig was screaming over the speaker for Norm.  He also made mention that he needed to tell his brother about their mom and not brothers.

It is sad about their mother and that they didn't make it in time.

29 minutes ago, iluvobx said:

It was funny how Jack didn't tell Harley what he had done.  That makes him the sleaziest of them.  I really haven't minded Harley but that could have been because of the CM. :)  Jake really does need to get a grip on his anger.  Destroying the radio and all was just so unnecessary.  His anger clouds his judgment at times.  Maybe Jake and Keith could go to anger management classes together but then again, remember how Sig was in those first years.

I like that Linda is there.  New blood and we know that she can fish.  I do find it interesting that she got some crab quota when some of the "regular" crabbers didn't. I am looking forward to more of Linda. 

Is Edgar still on the NW?  I noticed that when they had a problem, Sig was screaming over the speaker for Norm.  He also made mention that he needed to tell his brother about their mom and not brothers.

Jake just needs to mature which he will eventually but I can see why he lost his temper, more at himself for going against his own better judgement than anyone else.

As for Linda while it is good to have some new blood I'm not sure she is likeable after watching the show about her straight after the deadliest catch episode, I got the impression that because she had some quota she thought that she could just walk onto any boat as a co-captain & she also didn't seem very humble for someone entering a new fishery with established captains. As for her quota, she did say she had to buy it & maybe it was offered to her first because she's such a big shot and knows the right people.

2 hours ago, iluvobx said:

AFAIK, Edgar is still onboard. The film around him. Occasionally, you'll catch him in the background. I'm thinking they don't want him mentioned at all, which is why Sig didn't say anything about him. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Jake just needs to mature which he will eventually but I can see why he lost his temper, more at himself for going against his own better judgement than anyone else.

As for Linda while it is good to have some new blood I'm not sure she is likeable after watching the show about her straight after the deadliest catch episode, I got the impression that because she had some quota she thought that she could just walk onto any boat as a co-captain & she also didn't seem very humble for someone entering a new fishery with established captains. As for her quota, she did say she had to buy it & maybe it was offered to her first because she's such a big shot and knows the right people.

Jake is 42 years old - if he's going to mature he'd better pick up the pace!  

I like Linda, but she's here for the show. And if she doesn't go out on the boat, she's not on the show. Having her aboard gets Bill a storyline AND relief in the wheelhouse because once she gets the feel for the boat/laying down the pots she isn't going to need hand holding and he doesn't have to worry about which deckhand is at the wheel while he tries to sleep.

I think she truly didn't remember Jonathan (why would she?) and probably felt blindsided by production on that encounter.  Welcome to Deadliest Catch, Linda!

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, kassa said:

Jake is 42 years old - if he's going to mature he'd better pick up the pace!  

Didn't think he was THAT old, I remember him joining the Northwestern crew & he seemed like a snot nosed kid so I guess he really does need to pick up the pace in maturing or at least being able to hold his temper.

There was just something about that Linda that irked me, hopefully is was just a one off as she is obviously very experienced.

• Like 1

Yet another young'un chooses to mouth off to Keith. Don't they ever watch the show before hiring on? But this brings up an interesting point. As time marches on, fire breathing captains will find it increasingly difficult to find younger help. Nobody wants to work for a bully, and we see that playing out pretty much everywhere now. Help wanted ads going unfilled, staffing positions open for months on end, etc. How long until only the old veterans are left put up with that garbage from guys like Keith, Wild Bill and Jake Anderson? Millennials and Gen Z don't want any part of that nonsense, and I don't blame them.

Edited by NJRadioGuy

I remember Matt Bradley saying the most money he ever made was on the Wizard... but there he was on the NW. Now, he had a lot of history with them, and probably felt a part of the team/family there in a way he wouldn't anywhere else, but I have to assume Keith/Monte also had something to do with it. For those dealing with substance abuse issues, that kind of atmosphere could be pretty bad.

In my experience, toxic bosses either pay really, really well (we call it danger pay where I work - people who get raise after raise way above their pay grade because HR knows nobody else will last a week with that boss, and losing this person means months or years of trying to find another willing victim). Or they opt into the toxic atmosphere, like Freddie, somebody who adopts a strongman hero figure who can do no wrong.

1 hour ago, kassa said:

I remember Matt Bradley saying the most money he ever made was on the Wizard... but there he was on the NW. Now, he had a lot of history with them, and probably felt a part of the team/family there in a way he wouldn't anywhere else, but I have to assume Keith/Monte also had something to do with it. For those dealing with substance abuse issues, that kind of atmosphere could be pretty bad.

In my experience, toxic bosses either pay really, really well (we call it danger pay where I work - people who get raise after raise way above their pay grade because HR knows nobody else will last a week with that boss, and losing this person means months or years of trying to find another willing victim). Or they opt into the toxic atmosphere, like Freddie, somebody who adopts a strongman hero figure who can do no wrong.

I don't remember Matt on The Wizard.  I know he was on the Saga for a couple of years.  He & Sig talked about why Matt wasn't on the NW and it had to do with when Matt became available.

For a long time, it was the NW that would take on rehabbing drug addicts.  They talked about it and Sig was very forthcoming about Edgar and why he didn't want him to be Captain when Sig wasn't on the boat.

I do miss seeing Nick Mavar and I do wonder what he is doing now.

He was never on the Wizard on the show, but on the show or on an episode of After the Catch he referred to the most money he ever made in a season being on the Wizard.  We know Sig would refuse to take him out sometimes when he was in a bad way, so maybe Keith took him one of those times. 

• Like 1