Type keyword(s) to search

City On Fire - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A mysterious death. A best friend as the suspect. And a city on fire. From the executive producers of Gossip Girl and The O.C., City On Fire premieres May 12 on Apple TV+.

A college student is shot in Central Park on July 4, 2003. The investigation connects a series of mysterious citywide fires, the downtown music scene, and a wealthy uptown reel estate family fraying under the strain of the many secrets they keep.

city-on-fire-poster.jpg
City on Fire is an eight-episode TV Series with the first 3 episodes streaming on May 12, 2023 on Apple TV+. City on Fire is based on a book of the same name by Garth Risk Hallberg. Although the action in the book takes place in the 1970s, the TV Series moves the setting to around 2003. 

A NYU student, Samantha, is shot in Central Park on the Fourth of July, 2003. Samantha is alone; there are no witnesses and very little physical evidence. Her friends’ band is playing at her favorite downtown club, but she leaves to meet someone, promising to return. She never does.

As the crime against Samantha is investigated, she’s revealed to be the crucial connection between a series of mysterious citywide fires, the downtown music scene, and a wealthy uptown real estate family fraying under the strain of the many secrets they keep. 

city-on-fire-chase-sui-wonders.jpg
Chase Sui Wonders as Samantha
city-on-fire-chase-sui-wonders-wyatt-ole
Wyatt Oleff as Charlie, a friend of Samantha’s who is struggling to cope with the death of his father on 9/11 two years earlier

Xavier Clyde stars as Mercer
city-on-fire-show.jpg
Nico Tortorella as William
Chaise Torio
Jemima Kirke as Regan
city-on-fire-series-1.jpg
Ashley Zukerman as Keith
Max Milner as Nicky Chaos
city-on-fire-appletv.jpg

Alexandra Doke as Sewer Girl
Omid Abtahi as Detective Ali Parsa
Kathleen Munroe as Detective PJ McFadden
John Cameron Mitchell as Amory

Chase Sui Wonders as Samantha, a girl shot in Central Park on the 4th of July

Wyatt Oleff as Charlie, has an unrequited love for Samantha, was supposed to meet Samantha at the park, and is struggling to cope with the death of his father on 9/11 two years earlier

Xavier Clyde stars as Mercer, first person to discover Samantha shot in Central Park  

Nico Tortorella as William, an artist, Regan's brother and Mercer's boyfriend 

Jemima Kirke as Regan,  William’s sister

Ashley Zukerman as Keith, Regan's estranged husband

Geoff Pierson as Bill, Regan and William’s real estate mogul father

John Cameron Mitchell as Amory, Regan and William’s step-uncle

Max Milner as Nicky Chaos, an anti-gentrification anarchist

Alexander Pineiro as Sol Grungy, an anti-gentrification anarchist

Alexandra Doke as Sewer Girl, an anti-gentrification anarchist

Omid Abtahi as Detective Ali Parsa

Kathleen Munroe as Detective PJ McFadden

Chaise Torio

City on Fire     May 12, 2023      Apple TV+      
Episodes 1-3    Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: We Have Met the Enemy, and He Is Us
MV5BMDE1OTViMzQtMTJhNC00OTFiLThkY2YtYTMw
A shooting in Central Park upends the lives of a disparate group of New Yorkers.

S01.E02: Scenes From Private Life
MV5BNzM2NGQ4NzQtYWM3Ni00NDdlLTgyNDktYTlj
The search for the shooter begins—and the police are not the only ones looking for answers.

S01.E03: The Family Business
MV5BYzVlYWUyOGUtNTc0Yi00MjQ1LWE4NjgtN2NlCharlie finds a new family. Regan and William’s old wounds are revealed. Keith is shocked by revelations about the shooting.

The first episode was pretty bad, but of course they've got me hooked with the mystery. So hopefully the quality improves!

And now I can add this to the ever-expanding list of shows I'm mad about in the Primetimer Forums for dressing all the women in high-waisted pants in the early aughts! Other than that very glaring "no way is this 2003" detail, this show is making me nostalgic for 2003 New York, I'll give them that.

• Like 1

I read the book of this, and kind of enjoyed it. Some really interesting stuff, especially the focus on life in New York in the 70s. But it was very, very flabby and in need of editing.

I also remember feeling like the resolution to the central mystery was absolutely lame and so vaguely written that it wasn't really resolved at all.

They've shifted the setting to the early 2000s? Eh, I'll pass in that case.

S01.E04: Land of a Thousand Dances
1478x832.webp
Keith becomes a suspect—and begins to fear an even worse possibility. Charlie uncovers his first real clue.

Premiere Date: May 19, 2023      Apple TV+    

On 5/14/2023 at 3:41 PM, Danny Franks said:

I read the book of this, and kind of enjoyed it. Some really interesting stuff, especially the focus on life in New York in the 70s. But it was very, very flabby and in need of editing.

I also remember feeling like the resolution to the central mystery was absolutely lame and so vaguely written that it wasn't really resolved at all.

They've shifted the setting to the early 2000s? Eh, I'll pass in that case.

The book takes place in the 70s? That explains SO MUCH. I understand why they made the change, there's definitely something to the city's on-edge nerves about terrorism and then the 2003 blackout, but it really didn't work to move to time period but change nothing about the characters. (Okay, I don't know what they changed about the characters but they all seemed 1970s stock)

And the resolution here was lacking as well. Just kind of fizzled out.