Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E01: Call of a New Generation

• Start Topic

In the season premiere, a young generation ventures to the Bering Sea forging unlikely wheelhouse alliances across the fleet. But as high prices draw illegal foreign boats, captains young and old must band together to defend America's prized crab grounds.

My goodness that got my heart pumping.   Whoever is illegally fishing is really causing trouble.   I like Sig's solution.  Notice he just looked at it like the Viking he is, while the Hillstrands were whooping and hollering.   

Does EVERYONE need to have a fleet of boats now?   The Hillstrands and Sig do just fine with one boat.   They don't need multiple boats.   Jake is just asking for more debt if he takes on another boat.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, merylinkid said:

My goodness that got my heart pumping.   Whoever is illegally fishing is really causing trouble.   I like Sig's solution.  Notice he just looked at it like the Viking he is, while the Hillstrands were whooping and hollering.   

Does EVERYONE need to have a fleet of boats now?   The Hillstrands and Sig do just fine with one boat.   They don't need multiple boats.   Jake is just asking for more debt if he takes on another boat.

Is Jake the sole owner of the Saga? I don't remember.  I get where he's going with wanting another boat, but like you said, it's way more expense. And speaking of Jake, watching the previews of the season, he's freaking out and breaking and stomping something. That boy needs to relax. I swear he's going to stroke out. 

Sig needs to quit smoking. Ugh. He's surprised that the Jonathan took all the bait? Really? Sig should know that Jonathan dgaf about others at times. 

Why aren't they reporting the poachers to the Coast Guard? 

As much as I hate Harley, he's completely correct with the safety stuff. Life vests in deck always. Although I don't know what good a hard hat would do you if one of those boulders fell on you. 

Nice to see some women at the helm!  

The best part is no CM. 

Previews show Keith acting like a prick. No surprise there. 

Looking forward to the season! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stoppro said:

Yawn. Same Old Shit

There's only so much that can happen on a boat in the middle of the Bering sea. Would you be happier if one of the boats sank ? That would be different.

Have you tried changing the channel to something more in line with your taste?

I found it quite interesting. Surprised me how much tension they were able to create -- could use less flag waving. (And Jonathan, honey, the colors of the Russian flag are also red, white and blue, so you're not making the point you think you are.)

Am I wrong to suspect that the poacher isn't even Russian? The brief snippet of conversation we heard didn't sound like a foreign accent to me, and Russians wouldn't have bothered answering even if they understood. 

Jon was chasing the boat to get identifying information from it - I think the implication was that it was an American or Canadian vessel and that info could then go to the Coast Guard for followup, since the CG was likely many hundreds of miles away.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, kassa said:

I found it quite interesting.

Am I wrong to suspect that the poacher isn't even Russian? The brief snippet of conversation we heard didn't sound like a foreign accent to me, and Russians wouldn't have bothered answering even if they understood. 

Jon was chasing the boat to get identifying information from it - I think the implication was that it was an American or Canadian vessel and that info could then go to the Coast Guard for followup, since the CG was likely many hundreds of miles away.

Yeah I agree that the boat probably wasn't Russian due to the sneakiness of the boat & their methods, a Russian boat wouldn't care so much about hiding what they were doing.

I think it is actually more interesting now than it has been for quite a while, especially with the Golden King crab being a derby style fishery like most everything was when the show started.

• Like 1

All of the stuff with the “poachers” and Russians is so obviously scripted. I don’t really watch for that kind of thing. I understand why they do it. They need drama. It’s the same reason every boat always seems to catch a ton of crab right when they need it most, usually at the end of the season. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ImpinAintEasy said:

All of the stuff with the “poachers” and Russians is so obviously scripted. I don’t really watch for that kind of thing. I understand why they do it. They need drama. It’s the same reason every boat always seems to catch a ton of crab right when they need it most, usually at the end of the season. 

Obviously it's not scripted as that would make them actors which they are obviously not. It may well be played up, a recreation & over exaggerated but scripted no.

• Like 1