Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Episode Five

• Start Topic

Clearly, the sister doing a little BDSM on the side and everyone being on the pipe wasn't nearly enough. What we really needed to do was add in some cutting and an Eyes Wide Shut party for good measure. I mean, sure. Why not at this point? 

(Am I hate-watching to the bitter end? Yes, yes, I am. Thanks for asking. *g*)

• LOL 1
On 4/23/2023 at 5:46 PM, tljgator said:

Clearly, the sister doing a little BDSM on the side and everyone being on the pipe wasn't nearly enough. What we really needed to do was add in some cutting and an Eyes Wide Shut party for good measure. I mean, sure. Why not at this point? 

I haven't read the book, so genuine question: Isn't that in the spirit of the book, that the debauchery of London is a corrupting influence on Pip and that Estella was abused her whole life and thus has massive emotional problems?

Also an unrelated question? Are all these weird coincidences in the book? Like Miss Havisham using the same lawyer as the convict Pip saves in the marshes and that convict being Estella's father? Because man all that seems farfetched.

On 4/28/2023 at 10:23 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

I haven't read the book, so genuine question: Isn't that in the spirit of the book, that the debauchery of London is a corrupting influence on Pip and that Estella was abused her whole life and thus has massive emotional problems?

Yes and no...it's a bit more of a haves & have nots thing going on, especially the grand tradition of those with material less thinking it must be all sunshine and rainbows in the world of the haves, then getting to London and finding out it's dirty and sad and underhanded, just in different ways than that may be so in the country. Similarly, Estella is emotionally abused by the coercive, damaged Mrs. Havisham in the book, but in ways not nearly so dark as this adaptation (MMV).

My main issue isn't taking liberties with book to film adaptations, btw, just that what was done here felt like a modern checklist of things that are dark and sinister but still vaguely sexy and luring in the minds of a certain type of TPTB and had to be added. (I was a little less surprised after reading that the same creatives are also behind Peaky Blinders, which I loved, but isn't the aesthetic I necessarily wanted here.)

Also an unrelated question? Are all these weird coincidences in the book? Like Miss Havisham using the same lawyer as the convict Pip saves in the marshes and that convict being Estella's father? Because man all that seems farfetched.

There are many similar linkages in the book (think of them as things that should make for good TV cliff-hanger type things because this "book" was originally released as a series of individual chapters to lure readers to buy the weekly -- it's at least in part why it's kinda sad that they can't make this a better mini-series)...some that match this telling, and some quite different. Most are intentional, rather than coincidental -- Magwich uses his lawyer to fund Pip (he's the benefactor in the book) in thanks for his help on the marsh, etc.

*Since we don't have a separate thread to compare the series and book, I presume this is okay here.*

• Like 2
(edited)

I haven't read the book, so genuine question: Isn't that in the spirit of the book, that the debauchery of London is a corrupting influence on Pip

I think Pip wants to be corrupted.   A stronger person, with greater moral fiber would have held fast in the face of London's lurid enticements.  But Pip apparently never met a vice he didn't like.   He's like Oliver Twist on crack  "Please sir, may I have some more?  And more!   And MORE!"

The way the character is written here, I have no empathy for Pip.  He is not a very appealing character. 

Whenever a character says Magwich, I hear Manwich.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 1