Type keyword(s) to search

Newsies (1992)

Sarah 103
  • Start Topic

I have seen other cult classics get thier own topic, and since this movie is also a cult classic, I thought it might be a good idea for fans to have a place to discuss the original 1992 movie. 

Edited by Sarah 103
2 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

I'm a bit surprised it did become a cult classic, as I remember thinking the songs and the premise were a bit hokey.  Is it solely because it features a young Christian Bale?

I discovered the movie decades after it came out when a friend I had a university class with recommended the movie to me. My best guess as to how the movie became a cult classic (and if other people have different theories/reasons please share them) is that because the movie didn't do well at the box office it was inexpensive to license for cable/Disney Channel in the 1990s, so people (especially girls) discovered it on television, then told friends/classmates who rented it on VHS, and discovered that it was a legitimately solid musical (at a time when musicals were not popular or in fashion), and for pre-teen girls, lots of cute guys (Christain Bale is only one of them). I don't think Christian Bale is the only reason the movie became a cult classic. 

• Like 3
On 3/26/2023 at 9:47 AM, Elizabeth Anne said:

I didn't even know he was in it.  I watched for the music!

The music is great, but it is Alan Menken so it's not surprising. The man is a legend. My favorite song is "King of New York"

• Like 2
  • Love 2

One of my favorite movies! As a kid I would take my dad's hat and suspenders and wear them to learn all the choreography. I was also in love with Spot Conlon. These things are embarrassing now, but it's still one of my favorite movies.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

My favorite song is "King of New York"

Same.  I watch it now and then on youtube (usually from the Broadway production) and it's such a great pick me up.  Definitely puts a smile on my face.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, shantown said:

I was also in love with Spot Conlon.

Who wasn't? I remember seeing this in the theater when it came out.  I was a kid who grew up on musicals so I enjoyed the film.  Strange to think that Robert Duvall and Ann-Margaret were both in the film. I haven't seen it in ages.

• Like 1

I rewatched it recently and there's something I could quite figure out. I'm using spoiler tags just to be safe.

Spoiler

At the rally, how does David avoid getting arrested alongside the other newsies? He was at the rally, he was fighting alongside the other newsies against the police and hired thugs, and he was trying to prevent Jack from getting arrested. All of the other newsies are arrested, but David shows up to court with Denton. 

I understand why it needs to happen that way for plot reasons, but I can't figure out an in-universe reason, so thanks to anyone who can help.