Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: Gut Punch

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

b-sound.jpg

Well...Tan.

They talk about "star-making moments"...and, well, many aren't what they're chalked up to be.

Tonight, at the end in Hondo's house, David Lim really made his moment. So much captured in so few words...the strong man who doesn't want to admit that, this time, he wasn't as strong as he thought he was.

A real, emotional...gut punch.

Touching...and beautiful. All of it.

Now, I believe the show's narrative is that Tan needs to understand that even when he thinks he "has it all together", things can still fall apart and it's not always his fault.

It may be Star Trek but Jean Luc-Picard had a line that will always stick with me and works very well here- "it is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not weakness...that is life" (Star Trek: The Next Generation, Episode 2.21, "Peak Performance").

Well, Tan, it's time for you to learn that lesson. You didn't fail with Bonnie because you personally failed. You failed with Bonnie because Bonnie failed you.

Which is very deflating...especially when you realize that people you thought you could count on aren't as reliable as they should be.

Where this all goes, I'm not sure but I do know David Bradley Lim made his mark tonight and it was a joy.

As for the case itself...

Well it was great to see Deacon leading the team- or, what comprised the team this week- and seeing how he would do in the field, without said assignment being done in the shadow of Hondo having been benched for some reason. Street was a touch annoying being possessive of Powell, who totally should have joined 50-Squad so Norah Fowler can come back on my screen, but...it is what it is.

I mean, the case wasn't bad, but Tan was the real highlight here...as he should be.

Here's hoping one day David Bradley Lim gets to lead his own series one day...he's earned it.

Just as long as that day is a year or two in the future, at least...I want him on S.W.A.T. for one more season, at least.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

b-sound.jpg

Well...Tan.

They talk about "star-making moments"...and, well, many aren't what they're chalked up to be.

Tonight, at the end in Hondo's house, David Lim really made his moment. So much captured in so few words...the strong man who doesn't want to admit that, this time, he wasn't as strong as he thought he was.

A real, emotional...gut punch.

Touching...and beautiful. All of it.

Now, I believe the show's narrative is that Tan needs to understand that even when he thinks he "has it all together", things can still fall apart and it's not always his fault.

It may be Star Trek but Jean Luc-Picard had a line that will always stick with me and works very well here- "it is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not weakness...that is life" (Star Trek: The Next Generation, Episode 2.21, "Peak Performance").

Well, Tan, it's time for you to learn that lesson. You didn't fail with Bonnie because you personally failed. You failed with Bonnie because Bonnie failed you.

Which is very deflating...especially when you realize that people you thought you could count on aren't as reliable as they should be.

Where this all goes, I'm not sure but I do know David Bradley Lim made his mark tonight and it was a joy.

As for the case itself...

Well it was great to see Deacon leading the team- or, what comprised the team this week- and seeing how he would do in the field, without said assignment being done in the shadow of Hondo having been benched for some reason. Street was a touch annoying being possessive of Powell, who totally should have joined 50-Squad so Norah Fowler can come back on my screen, but...it is what it is.

I mean, the case wasn't bad, but Tan was the real highlight here...as he should be.

Here's hoping one day David Bradley Lim gets to lead his own series one day...he's earned it.

Just as long as that day is a year or two in the future, at least...I want him on S.W.A.T. for one more season, at least.

The Tan part really was terrific character stuff, as was Street trying to advise Powell and Hondo advising him that sometimes he needs to step back and give his mentee a little space. Poor Tan. I guess he was taught to hold it in and Hondo apparently wasn't noticing for a bit how much he was hurting Inviting him home for a meal was a good choice, though maybe a little awkward with Hondo's girlfriend there, given she helped to put him on suspension

• Like 1

I love Hondo and Victor’s heart-to-heart conversation at the end. Quiet doesn’t mean everything is okay.

Nichelle trying hard to please Victor with spaghetti and mindless gossip, it feels cheap since we know about her contribution to Victor’s suspension. When she’s like “Oh Tan, honey…”, I was like… b*tch please! 🙄

The writers are toying with us, giving us a false hope about transferring Powell. That’s just cruel…

“Actually, Alfaro told me I might be perfect for Rocker’s team. Their P-II is transferring out.”

- Zoe Powell

ME: “Yes, go go go! 50-Squad will be happy to have you. Bye Felicia!” 👋🏻

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, DanaK said:

though maybe a little awkward with Hondo's girlfriend there, given she helped to put him on suspension

8 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Nichelle trying hard to please Victor with spaghetti and mindless gossip, it feels cheap since we know about her contribution to Victor’s suspension. When she’s like “Oh Tan, honey…”, I was like… b*tch please! 🙄

To be fair, I'm not sure Tan knows it was Nischelle who put him on suspension. Hondo and Hicks know, but I'm not sure they would have told Tan about that.

Plus, Tan was at peace with his suspension. So even if he knew Nischelle recommended more severe punishment, Tan likely would not have faulted her.

That said, I would have liked it if we saw, at least, the Committee give its reason for a harsher sentence despite hearing Hondo's defence of Tan. Perhaps such a scene was on the cutting room floor but it shouldn't have been- considering the implications for Tan, we should have at least seen the scene where Hondo defends Tan in person and the Committee deciding to turn him down, explaining why.

I also think Nischelle should have shown some remorse for what happened. Or, at the very least, Tan gives her a line upon entering Hondo's house that he understands why she did what she did.

I place all of that on the producers, because it sure felt like pieces of the story were missing. Nischelle not feeling some guilt over what happened feels out of character for her.

• Like 1

Wowowowowow. I thought the whole scene with Tan punching the wall was good...but this? Wow.

And it seemed like both Hondo and Tan agreed that he probably needed to take the time off to get his head screwed on straight. If someone who, as Tan pointed out, always has it all together suddenly loses it like that, it shows this is more than just one bad night. 

It also showed a way for Nichelle to be more integral to the plot while going against Hondo at the same time, making a tough choice based on what she knew, rather than letting Hondo talk her out of her decision. At first I was mad, but in the end, once Hondo got a grasp on the severity of the situation, and with Tan agreeing with the decision, I understood.

FYI, it's definitely Nichelle:

image.png.5aacac69063d7130299cc56a82aabea5.png

I thought Street and Alfaro had buried the hatchet, so I was surprised that Street was still crap-talking about him, and once again we find out that Alfaro is actually a cool guy. 

I also like that Street went to Hondo, so he could go to Powell in humility, before he screwed things up with her. That showed a lot of maturity on his part. I could totally understand that he figured Hondo thought he'd failed at mentoring. Hondo showed what a strong leader he is by defusing the situation and immediately calming down Street.