Type keyword(s) to search

Teddy Conrad: Mr. Mayor

I am disappointed that he wasn't the one to take the bullet. He's Rayna's ex-husband and Daphne's father so he's never going to get written off the show as much as they really need to kill his plotlines. They are weighing things down and I really don't care about this new development with him and lawyer lady. I would much rather have the lawyer lady be the supportive cipher for Deacon that she had been up until the writers thought it would be fun to pair her with Teddy.

I think the best way to get rid of Teddy is to get him elected to Congress. That way, he moves to DC and is not a real part of the story anymore, but his absence also doesn't cause any real fuss. Rayna (and we) can keep the kids and they can visit him occasionally. I wish for it every week.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

The trouble with Teddy as a bad guy is that he just reacts to stuff. They don't really give him anything to do these days now he's Mayor, and Lamar is gone, so it's all just Deacon, Rayna and kids, and jealousy. Jeff is at least a bit more interesting because he has a job inside the industry and can make things happen. Teddy's just there to be outraged and as a catalyst for others to act. 

Teddy has been a problem for the writers because it's like they can't decide, from week to week, what they want Teddy to represent.  Sometimes he's weak, sometimes he's a bit shady, sometimes he's principled, most of the time he was a good father until they needed him to look like a horrible father so Maddie would be drawn to Deacon. 

It's frustrating.  I don't want them to get rid of Teddy. I just want them to stick with a characterization.  Honestly, I'd be mad if they got rid of Teddy.  It's their crutch when they don't know what to do with characters and I think watching Rayna/Teddy/Deacon putting aside their problems and navigating Maddie's adolescence would be a far more interesting dynamic to me than getting rid of a character so Rayna, Deacon and Maddie can be some sort of happily ever after.  To me, that seems like it was the kind of story they would have told in Season 1 but don't have the nuance for in Season 2.  I wish they'd find it again.

(edited)

Problem number one with Teddy for me is the actor. He just has a smarmy face, so really no matter what they try to do with him, I'll be wishing for Tyrion to show up and Joffery slap him and then slap Scarlett.

Edited by Joystickenvy

I think that if the writers hadn't turned Teddy into such an evil character, it would be interesting to watch him, Rayna, and Deacon attempt to be Maddie's parents (and Daphne's), with the end goal that they all would eventually become their own kind of family. But as is, he's just so horrible that I don't see how the audience can forgive him. I don't necessarily want him out of the way so that Rayna, Maddie, and Deacon can live happliy ever after (though I certainly would not object to that), but I want him gone so I don't have to watch him be a gross, smarmy, leacherous, stalky meanie who makes Maddie sad and constantly tries to ruin Deacon.

I like Eric Close, though. From all I've read, he seems like a lovely person.