Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: The Day After Brunch

Pop Tart
  • Start Topic

I love that they added a bartender (she is great, well cast), the judges are ordering cocktails and for some reason getting a bit sloshed during each episode. (I remember Dan jugging cooking-sherry from a measuring jug on Canadian Bake Off)

Other than that its not reinventing the cooking show genre. It feels like a curation of elements from other shows - they want the camaraderie from the Great British Baking show (Bake Off), but added a big cash prize (for the contestant's "charity projects") so lets see if it gets cattier towards the final.
They don't show much of the actual cooking, do they? They just ask a couple of chefs what they are cooking, which they then explain again during judging.
The set looks great, the judges are alright and the Dan banter is warm.

It confuses me a bit that this is Dan Levy's first follow-up on Schitt's Creek. Great excuse to eat and drink on the job though ;-)

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Aulty said:

They don't show much of the actual cooking, do they? They just ask a couple of chefs what they are cooking, which they then explain again during judging.

Which is esp a shame given that Sohla's own vehicles on youtube are so compelling because of the cooking, not just in the conception but every step of the execution. Like when Roman talked about how he made his vegan faux chicken thigh from scratch, I thought "welp, I would've liked to have seen him do it."

And conversely, when the cheftestants fail to make three plates, it basically comes out of nowhere because the edit just doesn't give a sense of how they're progressing over the cooking time.

• Love 2