Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Annus Horribilis

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

Stick to discussion of the episode, please. Discussion or mention of future events is NOT ALLOWED in episode topics, including mention of individuals who have not yet appeared or events that occur in future decades. Posts will be removed; repeated violations may incur further sanctions.

• Start Topic

On 11/13/2022 at 7:51 AM, PeterPirate said:

I had never watched Elizabeth's Annus Horribilis speech before, so I pulled it up on YouTube.  Suffice it to say, there are noticeable differences between the real and dramatized versions.  

Wow. Thank you for embedding that. The tone of the real life speech was completely different from the show's version.

On a sidenote, I assumed that Imelda Staunton (the actress) had a cold that day of filming, and they added a couple lines of dialogue in her getting-ready scene to cover that. But no, it's apparent from the video that Elizabeth was dealing with a cold that day. Which means Imelda Staunton is so good, she can make her nose sound congested when it isn't.

• Love 6

Historically accurate or not (and we all know Margaret wanted out of that relationship, not Townsend) you still got it, Show. I have been both moved and entertained by everything I have seen so far, and perhaps this episode most of all. They seemed to cover so much in so little time, it was like a mini movie.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Random- but my Mom heard from her very first boyfriend/fiancé about a year and a half ago “he’s only calling me because very one is dead!” And she told him “please don’t tell me someone else has died”(when they chatted the year before he told her his sister died who was younger than both of them)  

I could see Princess Margaret and Peter Townsend meeting again after all these years, and Margaret wanted to rewrite history. I’ve noticed individuals get nostalgic when they look back on old loves. 

The actor playing Andrew really does look like him.

When Charles was complaining to his mother in the stables I thought “ooooo you need to watch your tone with your Mummy!”

I admit although I like Helena Bonham Carter as an actress, I am preferring Lesley Manville in the part. I was racking my brain to where I knew her from, Harlots as Lydia Quigley!

• Like 3

I remember the Queen Mother as short and a little fluffy. I can’t imagine why they casted the actor in this episode/season. I keep having to tell myself “who is this again?”. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1