Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E06: Prom Night

• Start Topic

I am not saying Maria purposefully prevented Arnold from being there, but it's she's been vocal as to why the divorce happened. I get it, Arnold humiliated her, she believed him then it became obvious who Joseph's dad was. Arnold would have been a big 'get' for DWTS. Like Bruce Willis Arnold is that action hero who isn't in the demo of dwts, but would likely be an attraction for those who don't normally watch the show thereby increasing the ratings.  However, there are lot of people sympathetic to Shriver. This is not the amicable divorce of Demi Moore and Bruce Willis, both of whom had fond connections to ABC. 

The Kardashians were featured on CNN, People, AOL, etc. as "being in the audience" to support Charli.  They got a lot of mileage for sitting there., cheering on the TicTock girl and promoting their own horrid show.  

7 hours ago, White Dog said:

I am not saying Maria purposefully prevented Arnold from being there, but it's she's been vocal as to why the divorce happened. I get it, Arnold humiliated her, she believed him then it became obvious who Joseph's dad was. Arnold would have been a big 'get' for DWTS. Like Bruce Willis Arnold is that action hero who isn't in the demo of dwts, but would likely be an attraction for those who don't normally watch the show thereby increasing the ratings.  However, there are lot of people sympathetic to Shriver. This is not the amicable divorce of Demi Moore and Bruce Willis, both of whom had fond connections to ABC. 

The Kardashians were featured on CNN, People, AOL, etc. as "being in the audience" to support Charli.  They got a lot of mileage for sitting there., cheering on the TicTock girl and promoting their own horrid show.  

While I understand the embarrassment Maria and her children must endure and am sympathetic, I feel bad for Joseph that his presence on this planet is wrapped up in such a scandal for which he is entirely blameless. He handles himself very well and has a positive outlook.
I don't think it would have been surprising to see his father attend at least one performance. The secret is already out there. And I think I remember that Maria originally knew for quite some time but she and Arnold decided to hold off letting the news break until after his term as governor was completed.
Joseph wants to break into acting. I think the Shrivers are going to have to come to terms with his visibility.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 10/19/2022 at 10:33 PM, Stats Queen said:

Vinnie is not a good dancer, although I do applaud his efforts.

How surprising that the dance marathon ended with Charli scoring just high enough to get the most points for both nights when Gabby and Wayne were ahead of her. That was annoying.

Production Choice to win MUST HAVE TOP SPOT

21 hours ago, Melonie77 said:

It's interesting reading everyone's thoughts on Gabby's sense of humor....Yes, when seeing only small snippets of it on DWTS it does not come off well. It's like we're seeing only half of whatever she was joking about and not the set-up portion or the follow up but only the parts that make her sound obnoxious!

I've cringed a few times listening to her on DWTS knowing that she was NOT like this on the other shows. For those who did not see her on the Bachelor franchise, she took part in the first double bachelorette season and she was so very supportive and kind to her co-bachelorette Rachel. 

I'm hoping for a 4 person finale this year with Wayne, Gabby, Charli and Shangela! And I'd love to see Daniel and Trevor make it as long as possible!😊

I dont know. I REALLY don't want the Chosen one, The "Social Media Megastar" there at the end. Or another Bachelorette making it. I'd love to see Wayne and Shangela at the end though!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Melonie77 said:

If true about Maria Shriver preventing Arnold from attending I think that's very sad because Joseph seemed to believe his father was planning to come for one performance. Cher came to see Chaz dance - but only one night from what I remember.

I'm not sure what you mean by the show pushing the Kardashians. I remember some of them being in the audience but can't recall who they were there to see. Was it Joseph?

Nope, The Kartrashians(who have a show on Hulu, which is bascially owned by Disney) where there to support  the Tik Tok "Social Media Megastar" AKA Chosen Winner Charli 

• Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, Josh371982 said:

Nope, The Kartrashians(who have a show on Hulu, which is bascially owned by Disney) where there to support  the Tik Tok "Social Media Megastar" AKA Chosen Winner Charli 

I avoid anything Kardashian like the plague. I know very little about them and am proud to say I can only identify Kim out of all the sisters!😁

Usually I don't mind ringers since I figure they will provide good performances. Most people involved in the entertainment world have had some sort of background in dance.
I read that when Daniel signed up to do DWTS Marlee Matlin advised him to take some ballroom classes before the show rehearsals started up. I think that's a great idea. I would do the same thing if I was going to be on DWTS!

What I don't like is someone who is basically a professional dancer competing on the show. And since there are monetary awards involved I don't think this is right. I also don't care for the social media type participants on DWTS. So Charli is not my ideal cast type. I do however really like Mark and his choreography, and therefore have no problem with her making it to the finals. I'm just hoping she does not win.

I think the show is invested in Charli for a number of reasons including the expectation of good performances, the mother/daughter competition angle, a potential grab at younger viewers, and to have Emmy-award-winning Mark back once again. Hopefully they realize that calling a social media 'star' the winner of the mirror ball trophy is not the greatest move for the show's reputation.

• Love 2

I wouldn't be surprised if they pull out the 10s for Heidi this week. They must have not expected her to be in the bottom two. 

I didn't know Arnold and Maria Shriver divorced? If so, that makes it more weird that Arnold wouldn't show up for his son if he doesn't have to placate his wife.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Like 1

There's another angle to this I just realized could explain Arnold's absence: Joseph doesn't want him there. He did say he wants to prove himself on his own and "I don't want to ask for help."

It'd be natural for him to go through life driven with a bit of a chip on his shoulder to prove his "worthiness," especially every time there's a family gathering or spotlight on him. He said "I was actually the first to want to go into acting." But Patrick Schwarzenegger has already broken through and had some good roles (like The Staircase)--but, unlike what Joe wants, Patrick surely used his father's connections.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, anonymiss said:

There's another angle to this I just realized could explain Arnold's absence: Joseph doesn't want him there. He did say he wants to prove himself on his own and "I don't want to ask for help."

Joseph did say he didn't take on his father's name in order to make his own way in life, but he was indeed trying to make arrangements for Arnold to come see him perform on the show. So if TPTB for DWTS were hoping to get big names into the audience it looks like they blew this one with the marathon scores.

Here is the article I read that mentions Joseph wanting to get his dad into the audience:

https://www.etonline.com/joseph-baena-details-support-from-dad-arnold-schwarzenegger-after-dancing-with-the-stars-exit

Quote from article:

"Joseph previously said that he was trying to find a time that worked to get his famous father, Arnold Schwarzenegger, to come to the ballroom for one of his shows, but it seems that his run this season came to an end before that was possible.

Joseph, however, wasn't bothered by that, explaining, "I mean, he watches every night."

The young star told ET earlier this season that his dad had seen all his dances, adding, "I keep surprising him!"

"He keeps saying, every week, he's like 'Jesus Christ, I can't even believe that you can move like that!' Because our family's not known for dancing, especially on my dad's side," Joseph explained during an ET visit to his rehearsal for Disney+ Night last week."

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
On 10/23/2022 at 12:27 PM, Melonie77 said:

I didn't realize that Vinnie's pro partner was Koine from SYTYCD until the second or third week! She's using the name KoKo here and I didn't recognize her nor associate her with ballroom as I think she is a trained contemporary dancer. The only other non-ballroom pro I remember DWTS hiring was Allison Holker.

I wrote the following comments during last season's DWTS tour in a now deleted post:

Interestingly, Koine Iwasaka of SYTYCD was part of the most recent DWTS tour cast. Apparently, they've decided that casting non-ballroom dancers is warranted for the sake of diversity. At least Koine has a more deliberate route than Tyne, Allison, or Britt. She started ballroom training much younger at age 20. She's had 4+ years of training and teaching prior to joining the DWTS family. And at 25, she has time to further develop ballroom skills. (Comparable to Hayley's background, save for Hayley committing to ballroom after joining DWTS.) I'll admit to curiosity about Koine's ballroom transition, whether or not she stays with DWTS.

Koko has potential as a ballroom pro, but it would make sense imho to start her as troupe. She's young enough for 2-3 troupe seasons before partnering celebs, so I'm guessing TPTB are rushing preparations for Cheryl's eventual exit. At least with Vinnie, Koko has a non-contending celebrity who just wants to have fun.

Edited by RomanKat
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 10/23/2022 at 11:27 AM, Melonie77 said:

I didn't realize that Vinnie's pro partner was Koine from SYTYCD until the second or third week! She's using the name KoKo here and I didn't recognize her nor associate her with ballroom as I think she is a trained contemporary dancer.

Maybe, she had to use the name Koko because Tyra couldn't pronounce Koine.  :D I just remember one of her SYTYCD intro packages where she stated that people are always pronouncing her name wrong and that's she is used to it.  I think one person called her quinoa.

• LOL 5

Maybe, she had to use the name Koko because Tyra couldn't pronounce Koine.  :D I just remember one of her SYTYCD intro packages where she stated that people are always pronouncing her name wrong and that's she is used to it.  I think one person called her quinoa.

LOL. She started dating Kiki Nyemchek after SYTYCD. That was a big reason for her taking up ballroom. Their matching "Kiki + Koko" nicknames was also part of the professional name change.

Edited by RomanKat
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, RomanKat said:

LOL. She started dating Kiki Nyemchek after SYTYCD. That was a big reason for her taking up ballroom. Their matching "Kiki + Koko" nicknames was also part of the professional name change.

I knew that she started dating Kiki and taking ballroom.  I didn't realize that she changed her professional name to match his.  I really did think it was so that she would have a name that was easier to pronounce for Americans.  I know other people that have done that.  Plus it was too easy not to make a joke about Tyra's mispronouncing names.  I remember she kept doing that to Jimmie in a previous season.

• Love 1
On 10/24/2022 at 6:31 PM, realdancemom said:

I knew that she started dating Kiki and taking ballroom.  I didn't realize that she changed her professional name to match his.  I really did think it was so that she would have a name that was easier to pronounce for Americans.  I know other people that have done that.  Plus it was too easy not to make a joke about Tyra's mispronouncing names.  I remember she kept doing that to Jimmie in a previous season.

I imagine a commercial-friendly name was also part of it. The Kiki connection was something I surmised from following Koine's Instagram post-SYTYCD, where the two had some fun with their nicknames. At the time, she couldn't know where ballroom would take her. She and Kiki were just looking for opportunities to work together while she also pursued a solo career. She's been successful booking shows, tours, and convention circuit as both a solo and duo artist, so the "Koko" moniker has served her well.

ETA: It occurred to me to check Youtube video of her most recent SYTYCD appearance after posting the above. She was credited onscreen as "Koine" while an all-star this past summer.  Don't know if that's connected to her SYTYCD contract, or her solo versus duo/ballroom work, or DWTS producers preferring "Koko" for reasons you've suggested, or something else entirely. e.g. She worked on the last DWTS tour with Kiki, so maybe the producers got to know her as Koko. It appears that both names are still in play, however. Apologies for the confusion.

Edited by RomanKat
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, RomanKat said:

I imagine a commercial-friendly name was also part of it. The Kiki connection was something I surmised from following Koine's Instagram post-SYTYCD, where the two had some fun with their nicknames. At the time, she couldn't know where ballroom would take her. She and Kiki were just looking for opportunities to work together while she also pursued a solo career. She's been successful booking shows, tours, and convention circuit as both a solo and duo artist, so the "Koko" moniker has served her well.

ETA: It occurred to me to check Youtube video of her most recent SYTYCD appearance after posting the above. She was credited onscreen as "Koine" while an all-star this past summer.  Don't know if that's connected to her SYTYCD contract, or her solo versus duo/ballroom work, or DWTS producers preferring "Koko" for reasons you've suggested, or something else entirely. e.g. She worked on the last DWTS tour with Kiki, so maybe the producers got to know her as Koko. It appears that both names are still in play, however. Apologies for the confusion.

Yes, she did use the name Koine on SYTYCD last summer.  I figured it was because the producers/knew that the people that watch the show know her as Koine not Koko.

(edited)

Charli is dating Travis Barker's son, and Travis Barker is married to Kourtney Kardashian, is why a Kardashian was there. Although she didn't seem too thrilled to be there, the boyfriend was cheering Charli on.

Edited by Hanya2
repeated the same thing 3 times