Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Announcement

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

Especially Luthen pretty much acknowledging that he knew the heist was going to lead to crackdowns and possibly innocents being harmed (or worse), but he knew this is what is needed for true rebellion to happen.  

The situation reminds me of the frog and the pot of water.  As the Empire gradually expanded their reach and increased their oppression, people, like on Ferrix, got used to the deprivations and harsh rule.  The heist is prompting the Empire to raise the temperature at maximum speed and the shock is alerting the average citizen they better do something now, before it's too late.

I don't think Karn had an epiphany.  He's acting more like a petulant child who got his toy taken away from him.  He's still having his clothing tailored to reflect a higher status than he actually has.. I think his exile to cubeville is turning him into Javert, willing to do anything to catch the fugitive.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I appreciate that this show is willing to have a slower pace to explore the characters and the world.  I feel like I'm seeing an untold story and not watching the same old same old.

There were some standout scenes in this one as well.  The one between Cassian and his adoptive mother was well written.  Cassian does seem to have reverted, but I'm hoping his mind is in turmoil and he is internally trying to convince himself that running away is best.  It was also interesting what Bix said, that people blame Cassian for bringing direct Imperial rule to their planet.  Versus hailing him as a hero.

There was also complexity with the revolution shown by the conversation between Mon and Luthen, the latter much more cold and focused on the ends regardless of the consequences.  It looks like his "assistant" was of the same mind. 

I hardly recognized Vel, and I hope she won't try to kill Cassian.  It would be quite interesting if she finds him in jail and now she has a captive audience.

Mon talking to her old schoolmate at the party was risky, even if they were smiling the whole time.

Karn was staunchly defending what he did, so I doubt he had a change of heart and I don't feel badly for him at all.  That demanding boss who is harsh on everyone is entertaining to watch, and surprisingly, so is the office politics.  Both Karn and Dedra are arrogant and rather rude to underlings, so that's a similarity between them.  She is very capable but I can't root for her given she is cracking the rebel's methods.  I think her boss was praising her for her sector's high incarceration rate a few episodes ago?

• Like 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Camera One said:

I appreciate that this show is willing to have a slower pace to explore the characters and the world. 

I really enjoyed getting to have this episode that shows the stuff a lot of shows would skip over. It's nice taking the time to see how people are reacting to things before they're plunged into the next adventure. The scene with Cassian and his mother was so wrenching, where he's trying to avoid getting involved in the rebellion and just wants to run off and live comfortably, just as she's been fired up into wanting to get involved in the rebellion because of the job he pulled to get the money to live comfortably. Then we get to see how people are reacting to these events in the heart of the Empire. This is the kind of thing that I tend to find myself mentally writing scenes about, imagining how everyone's reacting, and they actually showed it all instead of it all happening offscreen, and then we just see the new situation that comes afterward without having seen the actual reactions.

• Like 2
  • Love 2