Type keyword(s) to search

Marcel The Shell With Shoes On (2022)

starri
  • Start Topic

Saw this today and it was super adorable and earnest with just the right amount of bite to keep it from becoming overly saccharine.  I've always liked Jenny Slate as a voice actress and I think she really outdid herself here.  The nuance she gave Marcel was something else.  And again, it could have been so twee but she measures it beautifully.  Between this and Everything Everywhere All at Once she's had a hand in possibly two of the biggest sleeper hits of the year.  Good for her.

• Love 5
On 7/17/2022 at 2:39 PM, kiddo82 said:

Saw this today and it was super adorable and earnest with just the right amount of bite to keep it from becoming overly saccharine.

I completely agree.  Marcel was funny, too.  I loved the way Dean would laugh at Marcel's observations. 

Marcel throwing up in the car was hilarious.  And his song at the end had me crying. 

• Love 3

I saw this today, and I really liked it a lot.  The story was sweet and genuine (and I love that they were able to get Lesley Stahl and the 60 Minutes people involved!), and the animation was top-notch.  Marcel’s community in the end had some interesting members — it took me a second to realize that one of them was a tampon.

• LOL 3
On 8/9/2022 at 8:45 PM, Browncoat said:

I saw this today, and I really liked it a lot.  The story was sweet and genuine (and I love that they were able to get Lesley Stahl and the 60 Minutes people involved!), and the animation was top-notch.  

I noticed that when Marcel and Nan were looking at a computer screen, for example, you could see the screen reflected in their eyes.

On 8/9/2022 at 8:45 PM, Browncoat said:

Marcel’s community in the end had some interesting members — it took me a second to realize that one of them was a tampon.

I was thinking about seeing this a second time, and your comment made me head to the theater because I had missed that and who knows what else.  At one point, the tampon is sitting next to a smaller creature, and the tampon has its string going around the other creature like you do with an arm.

I came away from my second viewing realizing there wasn't a single false note in the entire movie. 

And I went to Target on the way home and they were playing Peaceful, Easy Feeling on the Muzak and I thought, "I like Marcel's version better."

• Love 3

The movie dropped on streaming today, so I finally got to see it.  I am very glad I was alone in my office, because I had a good ugly cry over it.

I’m happy that it contains enough animation to be considered for a Best Animated Feature Oscar.  It deserves it.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

It moved me to tears, and I am amazed at how scenes from it have stuck in my mind since then.

Yay!  Another fan!

I have it on my DVR and every once in a while I watch the scene at the end where he's singing Peaceful Easy Feeling.  I need to watch the whole movie in order for it to make me cry, but it comes pretty close just as the snippet.

• Like 2