Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E17: Cry Foul

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

When a series of deadly explosions hits oil derricks across Los Angeles, SWAT teams up to hunt down an activist-turned-terrorist. Also, Deacon and his wife, Annie, work to free a reformed drug dealer who they believe was sent away for a murder he didn’t commit.

letter-c.png

Well, I knew Episode 101 would be a letdown from Episode 100. That's (almost) always a guarantee.

Still, even as a regular episode, it was still one that was simply rudimentary. It did its job, telling a coherent story from start to finish and keeping me invested in it, but I don't think I'll look back at this episode and rush to watch it again. It was very much midseason filler.

That said, there were some nice moments. When it comes to the case, at least the final bad guy made me feel sympathetic enough for him that I saw the motivations for his actions, and the stakes behind the case fit the urgency that were presented for them. The councilwoman was also a nice touch, especially since I could see where she's coming from as well as further fuelling Hondo's frustrations, which were also understandable.

Then there's Powell. Kind of surprised- but pleasantly so- that Christina never complained about going easy on Powell simply because "we need more female SWAT members". I would be interested in seeing where Powell's story goes, since it feels open-ended. Yeah, she's reckless and ignores protocols but she at least cares and has great instincts, especially under pressure. Can Street, who recognized her plight resembled his, get her to correct her rogue tendencies? Only time will tell.

I think Annie's story about correcting Ortiz's conviction was by far the more interesting part of this episode. Annie worked some real good detective skills and even got a quasi confession from Cora. I'm sure we'll see her again. Perhaps the detective is setting up roadblocks that seem arbitrary, but I do think he's right- Cora could deny what she told Annie to any investigator and there goes the investigation.

So on Annie goes...but you gotta love her fight. Something tells me this will be the story that concludes with the season finale since they've expanded it this far already and doesn't feel like much of a "side story" anymore, but we'll see where it goes.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

letter-c.png

I think Annie's story about correcting Ortiz's conviction was by far the more interesting part of this episode. Annie worked some real good detective skills and even got a quasi confession from Cora. I'm sure we'll see her again. Perhaps the detective is setting up roadblocks that seem arbitrary, but I do think he's right- Cora could deny what she told Annie to any investigator and there goes the investigation.

The dialogue with Annie and Cora was well done the way that it built to Annie's realization that Cora had committed the murder. I wondered about Annie doing an independent investigation, though.  My main issue with it was that I think that Cora would have refused to talk to Annie and would have called LAPD or the LA District Attorney to complain about a civilian visiting her to interview her about a crime.

I enjoyed Street's conversation with Powell.  The way Alex Russell did the dialogue with his matter of fact reveal that his mom shot his dad was brilliant. Street was basically saying to her that he had seen some stuff, and he knows that she has problems.  I'm interested to see if they show more about her history.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

The dialogue with Annie and Cora was well done the way that it built to Annie's realization that Cora had committed the murder. I wondered about Annie doing an independent investigation, though.  My main issue with it was that I think that Cora would have refused to talk to Annie and would have called LAPD or the LA District Attorney to complain about a civilian visiting her to interview her about a crime.

Cora could- and maybe even will- still complain to the LAPD. I mean, I'm not sure if what Annie did qualifies as criminal, but there could be a scenario where Cora complains and the LAPD tell her to back off because if she continues it could qualify as harassment.

I suppose, in Annie's defence, when she talked to Cora she didn't think Cora would be the actual perpetrator. She probably thought- as was the episode's direction at that point- that Cora's ex-husband was the culprit. You bring up a good point about how Annie's interview with Cora shows her lack of experience and skills in an actual investigation, since an actual detective would have at least been far more subtle about having seemingly gaining a confession.

25 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

I enjoyed Street's conversation with Powell.  The way Alex Russell did the dialogue with his matter of fact reveal that his mom shot his dad was brilliant. Street was basically saying to her that he had seen some stuff, and he knows that she has problems.  I'm interested to see if they show more about her history.

My guess is that how long the story goes will depend on how long we will see Powell. I doubt we'll get more than just another interaction or two from Street before we see that she's taken what he said to heart and, by doing so, gains a spot on SWAT. The show's tone is too upbeat and positive to allow for a narrative where Powell fails, and since I suspect she's a minor character, the show won't devote the time to do a proper redemption arc for her if she were to fail, like they did with Street.

Not that I think that will be a bad storyline. It would be nice if those two bonded and Street becomes her confidant and mentor in a way. Street certainly has grown enough as a character that it's time he could be a role model for other characters to look up to, which I think would be a great way for his character to come full circle. I'd also say this could be the setup to a great romance but..."Stris" is still a thing, I guess.

• Love 1
On 4/18/2022 at 6:47 AM, Danielg342 said:

My guess is that how long the story goes will depend on how long we will see Powell. I doubt we'll get more than just another interaction or two from Street before we see that she's taken what he said to heart and, by doing so, gains a spot on SWAT. The show's tone is too upbeat and positive to allow for a narrative where Powell fails, and since I suspect she's a minor character, the show won't devote the time to do a proper redemption arc for her if she were to fail, like they did with Street.

Not that I think that will be a bad storyline. It would be nice if those two bonded and Street becomes her confidant and mentor in a way. Street certainly has grown enough as a character that it's time he could be a role model for other characters to look up to, which I think would be a great way for his character to come full circle. I'd also say this could be the setup to a great romance but..."Stris" is still a thing, I guess.

If she does stick around, I can see a scenario where she develops a friendship with Street after he mentors her.  I really hope that the writers will avoid romance, and I hope that Street would steer clear of another workplace relationship.  I do think he should date someone, though, since things are not going anywhere with Chris.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, nittany cougar said:

I hope that Street would steer clear of another workplace relationship.  I do think he should date someone, though, since things are not going anywhere with Chris.

Jimbo needs his own Annie and Bonnie if he wants to have a little bit of normalcy in his life.

tom cruise whatever GIF

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

If she does stick around, I can see a scenario where she develops a friendship with Street after he mentors her.  I really hope that the writers will avoid romance, and I hope that Street would steer clear of another workplace relationship.  I do think he should date someone, though, since things are not going anywhere with Chris.

I'm just saying Powell and Street could develop the kind of bond over shared experiences that would make the foundation for a nice relationship. At least when it comes to him and Powell they likely wouldn't be on the same team, so a relationship is easier to navigate there.

Ideally, I would agree Street ought to have a relationship with someone outside of work. He doesn't come across as the type who wouldn't have a life outside of work, so it's strange to me that all we see of him is at work. I'd like to see his outside of work life developed a little more.

• Love 2