Type keyword(s) to search

Not So Pretty

• Start Topic

The four-part Max Original documentary Not So Pretty, from Academy Award® nominated filmmakers Kirby Dick & Amy Ziering, debuts Thursday, April 14.

Narrated by Keke Palmer, Not So Pretty is the first-ever comprehensive large-scale investigative expose of the trillion-dollar cosmetics, beauty and personal care industry.

Link to the article and the trailer https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/VIDEO-HBO-Max-Debuts-NOT-SO-PRETTY-Documentary-Trailer-20220407

• Love 2

What is the real truth about baby powder? Why was J&J alone put on trial? . I feel something is off. Everyone I know was powdered with this from birth on & most continue to use it. How many people actually get sick from it? Are there contributing factors.  Talcum powder is still being used a lot. I’d like to see a more in depth commentary on this. 

• Love 2

I was really disappointed in this series. I found it terrible overall. Badly researched, incomplete information but plenty of vague fear. Also nothing I hadn’t heard before.

I’ve known to avoid talc based baby powder for about forty years now because of the asbestos. However it is in almost every face powder blush and eyeshadow. Most cosmetics have it listed and I am pretty sure I’ve even seen it listed in some medication tablets. How did the young woman with mesothelioma get sick? Was it from baby powder? Then why did her mom say she felt guilty about encouraging her to be a makeup artist?

The man who had no viable sperm blamed it on everyday bath products that most people use daily. 

The curly hair products segment was also off to me. Do i believe some products are going to be harsh and inappropriate for certain hair types? Sure? Cause irritation? Again sure but I was very suspicious of the influencer who got so severely I’ll from hair products. Messed up her hearing. Bags and bags of hair fell out. Maybe they were using way more than a normal person would? I don’t know and the show didn’t really get to the heart of what was in this stuff. 

I’m not saying the whole issue is bullshit and I’m thinking maybe slathering on my scented hand lotion twenty times a day is something I should continue to do with wild abandon but I’m also not about to start making my own products either. Lost of “natural” stuff out there is often contaminated and unsafe too.

I’m actually surprised HBO aired this series tbh.

• Love 1
On 4/16/2022 at 1:51 PM, DiabLOL said:

I was really disappointed in this series. I found it terrible overall. Badly researched, incomplete information but plenty of vague fear. Also nothing I hadn’t heard before.

I’ve known to avoid talc based baby powder for about forty years now because of the asbestos. However it is in almost every face powder blush and eyeshadow. Most cosmetics have it listed and I am pretty sure I’ve even seen it listed in some medication tablets. How did the young woman with mesothelioma get sick? Was it from baby powder? Then why did her mom say she felt guilty about encouraging her to be a makeup artist?

The man who had no viable sperm blamed it on everyday bath products that most people use daily. 

The curly hair products segment was also off to me. Do i believe some products are going to be harsh and inappropriate for certain hair types? Sure? Cause irritation? Again sure but I was very suspicious of the influencer who got so severely I’ll from hair products. Messed up her hearing. Bags and bags of hair fell out. Maybe they were using way more than a normal person would? I don’t know and the show didn’t really get to the heart of what was in this stuff. 

I’m not saying the whole issue is bullshit and I’m thinking maybe slathering on my scented hand lotion twenty times a day is something I should continue to do with wild abandon but I’m also not about to start making my own products either. Lost of “natural” stuff out there is often contaminated and unsafe too.

I’m actually surprised HBO aired this series tbh.

I know people & salons that specialize & use Deva. Never heard of this. I agree this “ documentary” sounds very fishy. Especially way they spent 90% of the time on specific products. Either way those woman who had hair issues that fell out etc. looks like they had pretty damn nice hair to me. Tell/show that to someone who actually has some form of alopecia😡

On 4/18/2022 at 6:00 AM, chediavolo said:

I know people & salons that specialize & use Deva. Never heard of this. I agree this “ documentary” sounds very fishy. Especially way they spent 90% of the time on specific products.

I used Deva for years. I never had a problem. No reactions, itchy scalp or hair falling out. But then I read about these horror stories online and decided to switch up.

I will say one thing. I’m glad I’m not big on makeup and manicures.

• Love 1