Type keyword(s) to search

Undercurrent: The Disappearance of Kim Wall

• Start Topic

(edited)

In 2017, journalist Kim Wall went missing after boarding a submarine with eccentric Danish entrepreneur Peter Madsen. Madsen had built the sea craft himself, and Wall was interviewing him for a story. Madsen surfaced without Wall, and the ensuing investigations and murder trial fed into a media frenzy, full of victim-blaming rhetoric and leering detail. Now, Wall’s murder is the subject of the new two-part HBO documentary Undercurrent: The Disappearance of Kim Wall. The doc is directed by Erin Lee Carr, who previously directed At the Heart of Gold, about systemic abuse in USA Gymnastics. Undercurrent will delve into Wall’s murder and the psychology of Madsen, who was deemed a “narcissistic psychopath” in Danish court. Undercurrent will air both parts back-to-back on Tuesday, March 8, on HBO and HBO Max.

Trailer:

Edited by DanaK

I appreciated hearing from the real people who knew Kim Wall and were involved in the case. I was trying to remember where I'd seen a longer series based on this case, but using actors in place of the real people. I thought it was very good. Found it, and it was also on HBO. It's still available on HBO and HBO Max.
The Investigation

Primetime thread

(DanaK thank you for starting both threads!)

I also watched this having never heard of the case. I was horrified by what she must’ve went through during her last moments being trapped on that submarine with a psychopath and absolutely no way to run away and save herself. The thought is sad and terrifying. 

This guy truly is a monster and I’m appalled at the fact that he’ll likely only serve 12-16 years for this. 

I was glad that those in the documentary repeatedly stressed that Kim was doing her job by boarding that submarine, that this is what reporters do, man or woman. Because I’m sure there are some out there who have asked the question as to why she got in a submarine with a guy she didn’t know. Also glad that they spent quite a bit of the documentary talking about who she was and the things her family did after her death to honor her memory. 

• Love 1