Type keyword(s) to search

The Closing Ceremony: See Ya In 4 Years!

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Hoping Nathan Chen gets to be the flag bearer for the closing ceremonies.

I believe the only figure skater to carry the flag was Scott Hamilton in 1980, and that was for opening ceremony because they didn't have flag bearers for the closing ceremony.  Certainly one of the stars of these games and has lived up to expectation.  I'd love for it to be Shaun White, but he's likely not going to stick around for another 7+ days after his competition has ended.

I can recall Dan Jansen in 1994 - I think the first time they had flag bearers at the Closing ceremony.  What a great story his Olympic career was.  Cammi Granato in 1998.  Jessie Diggins last in 2018.  I don't think the flag bearer has ever been anyone from the glamour events such as alpine, figure skating, or snowboarding.  Those guys get so much attention and media anyway, it's nice to see a relative unknown like a Jessie Diggins get the honor.  A redemption story would be Lindsay Jacobellis, who has gotten so little attention this last time around but obviously would be a fitting cap to her Olympic career.  But again, she probably won't stick around.

Among the final events are the hockey gold medal games, curling gold medal matches, and bobsled. Depending on how the US folks do, it could be someone from one of those events (though not John Shuster again, obviously).

On 2/11/2022 at 11:53 AM, tracyscott76 said:

Among the final events are the hockey gold medal games, curling gold medal matches, and bobsled. Depending on how the US folks do, it could be someone from one of those events (though not John Shuster again, obviously).

Quoting myself to pat myself on the back for an accurate prediction (though I hedged my bets a bit 😆):

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/18/1081811620/elana-meyers-taylor-olympic-closing-ceremony

Oooo, some editing trickery from NBC here! They are acting like the women's cross country medal ceremony happened last (so they could talk about Jessie Diggins), but it actually happened before the men's ceremony. Sneaky!

ETA: you can see the flowers for the men still sitting on the table in the background lol

Edited by tracyscott76

Johnny may want to go look for a second job to afford all the shopping he's going to do in Paris and Milan.

4 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Now I'm curious as to why we got glimpses of Venice when Milano and Cortina are the host cities in 2026 (love the "26" logo, by the way!).

Reddit told me that Venice and Cortina D'Ampezzo are in the same region of Italy, Venice is the capital.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 2
5 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Now I'm curious as to why we got glimpses of Venice when Milano and Cortina are the host cities in 2026 (love the "26" logo, by the way!).

They often have events in towns/cities aside from the designated host city, depending on facilities. Especially for things like ice hockey (or soccer) that need to have lots of games going on at once in the early rounds.

I know it's probably Covid-related, but I like this recent trend of having the next host's presentation largely being a film shot in the city (Paris did it, too, last year). I think it helps create more excitement for the new location.

12 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Johnny may want to go look for a second job to afford all the shopping he's going to do in Paris and Milan.

12 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

And in Los Angeles. Those shops on Rodeo Drive aren't cheap, you know!

• LOL 1

The closing ceremony & the 'look back" had me teary-eyed at times,  despite all the controversies  & "hoopla" in the end, I always enjoy the wonderful stories of athletes who have worked so hard to get there & how excited they are by their experience, it leaves me with a 'feel good" feeling...so I am ignoring the 'nay sayers" who are down on the Olympics.  And I am looking forward to Paris & Milan/Cortina!

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

The closing ceremony & the 'look back" had me teary-eyed at times,  despite all the controversies  & "hoopla" in the end, I always enjoy the wonderful stories of athletes who have worked so hard to get there & how excited they are by their experience, it leaves me with a 'feel good" feeling...so I am ignoring the 'nay sayers" who are down on the Olympics.  And I am looking forward to Paris & Milan/Cortina!

Agreed. Despite the very real problems with the Olympics, all one needs to do is watch the athletes themselves to know that the Games are important, meaningful, and worthwhile...and fun!

Every time the torch goes out...*sniff*

Edited by tracyscott76
10 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Agreed. Despite the very real problems with the Olympics, all one needs to do is watch the athletes themselves to know that the Games are important, meaningful, and worthwhile...and fun!

Every time the torch goes out...*sniff*

But don't forget that the Paralympics start on March 4. That's just a week from Friday!

• Love 6