Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Cornrows

• Start Topic

I liked this first episode. Colin's parents do love him, but they know nothing about black culture. I do blame them for thinking having Colin be the one black person in their lives was going to be okay. It was clear Mom was uncomfortable around other black people, at the store, the hairdresser's home and even her coworkers. It seems like the effort should have been made to know more about his culture before not knowing became an issue. But I don't think they had bad intentions and his mother did take initiative to find a black hairdresser when she realized it would mean something to her son.

I'm in for watching the rest of this.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, TooMuchRealityTV said:

It was clear Mom was uncomfortable around other black people, at the store, the hairdresser's home and even her coworkers. It seems like the effort should have been made to know more about his culture before not knowing became an issue. But I don't think they had bad intentions and his mother did take initiative to find a black hairdresser when she realized it would mean something to her son.

I also think Teresa was kind of jealous at how instantly at ease Colin was with the hairdresser at her house. Which I guess was understandable, since she could see him connect with her in a way that she didn’t feel like she could. That must have hurt.

But Colin’s parents saying his cornrows made him look like a thug? Ugh.

After the way the NFL treated Colin, I am more than ready for him dragging them.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3
On 10/31/2021 at 7:40 PM, Marley said:

The first episode kind of made me hate his parents. They seem like such tools.

Very ignorant people.  Especially for the times that Colin grew up.  For goodness sake, it wasn't the 80s or 90s.  It was 00's.  the LA riots have happened and he would have been the same age as the Cincinnati unrest.  

I somehow managed to miss hearing about the existence of this show until now, but I am loving it so far!  I like the format, and the content is fantastic. 

His parents are painfully clueless.  If white people are going to adopt a child of another race, they cannot just drop the poor kid into their white world and wash their hands of any responsibility to learn about the kid's culture and make sure they're not kept isolated from it.  These two have never thought about race in America one day in their lives!  And that's bad enough in anyone, but in people who have a Black son?!

The actor playing young Colin does a great job, especially with Colin's reaction when his own mom actually went there and said he looks like a thug.