Type keyword(s) to search

S2.E03: Destiny Mathis

• Start Topic

While in Michigan for their parent’s wedding anniversary, Marcus reignites an old flame and nurses the wounds of his failed relationship – as Ida contends with her own issues.

Available now on HBO Max

Overall a good episode but the way Destiny and her boyfriend started making out on the Benz felt like it came from a different and more overtly sitcommy show.

As for Ida and Keiko's fight, I can see both sides. I empathize with Keiko trying so hard to get a soap (etc) business going, but I definitely also understand Ida not wanting to feel like her girlfriend sees her extended family as a bunch of wallets.

Ugh, I'm not feeling Marcus. I feel like the premise of the season already was off to a bad start by making him an (emotional) cheater, but he was also so mean behind his wife's back, so it's hard to find him endearing.

For this specific episode, I'm not sure whether we're supposed to feel that Marcus is acting too good for his hometown or that it was justified. His sister pointed out that people were on fixed income, but then they made Destiny act like trash.

On 11/2/2021 at 11:44 PM, Zoe said:

they made Destiny act like trash.

I was surprised that Destiny's mother told Marcus' mother that Destiny was single in a scenario where she's in a relationship where she wants to be a real stepmother to the guy's kid.

On 11/1/2021 at 1:41 AM, arc said:

As for Ida and Keiko's fight, I can see both sides. I empathize with Keiko trying so hard to get a soap (etc) business going, but I definitely also understand Ida not wanting to feel like her girlfriend sees her extended family as a bunch of wallets.

It seemed like Ida could have communicated her concern more clearly sooner. But the soap in the trash was a different problem (unless I missed Ida putting it there herself).