Type keyword(s) to search

The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf

• Start Topic

The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf

Before Geralt, there was his mentor Vesemir — a swashbuckling young witcher who escaped a life of poverty to slay monsters for coin. But when a strange new monster begins terrorizing a politically fraught kingdom, Vesemir finds himself on a frightening adventure that forces him to confront the demons of his past.

Theo James is Vesemir

Witcher-Vesemir_Character.jpg

Lara Pulver is Tetra

Tetra-witcher.jpg

Graham McTavish is Deglan

Witcher-Deglan_Character.jpg

Mary McDonnell is Lady Zerbst

witcher-lady-Zerbst.jpg

• Love 1

If you haven't watched the animated movie yet, you should, because everything in it relates directly to the live-action series providing provocative backstory to the events that are occurring in the live-action series. Unfortunately it doesn't explain what happened between Geralt and his mother that led to him becoming a Witcher. In the animated version, the characters seem vastly overpowered compared to what characters are capable of in the live-action series. A tale of vilifying "The Other" for personal gain.

• Love 2

I liked it well enough and the animation was gorgeous, but I think it could be better as a mini series. Some of the characters especially Tetra and Deglan needed much more screentime.  I'd love to have a whole episodes dedicated to their past , to see what made them the people they are today, instead of having one line of dialouge. I could also use more of Filavandrel. 

Still I have fun watching it and Illyana was a pleasant surprise as a character and I liked her realtionship with Vesemir. I may have cried a little at the end there. Definitely worth watching for the Witcher fans, though I'm sure some book purists may not like changes in the timeline and lore of the books.

• Love 1
On 8/25/2021 at 10:15 AM, AnimeMania said:

If you haven't watched the animated movie yet, you should, because everything in it relates directly to the live-action series providing provocative backstory to the events that are occurring in the live-action series. Unfortunately it doesn't explain what happened between Geralt and his mother that led to him becoming a Witcher. In the animated version, the characters seem vastly overpowered compared to what characters are capable of in the live-action series. A tale of vilifying "The Other" for personal gain.

We just watched it and it was enjoyable. I agree everyone seems like they are more powerful than the live versions, particularly the witchers and Tetra. What Tetra achieves in this cartoon would severely deplete the mages in the live action version, and have we ever seen Geralt project fire from his hands???

On another note, Vesemir comes across as much more outgoing than Geralt. His relationship with Illyana was quite touching for a cartoon. I liked when she said "I'm 70!" and he said "So am I". Kinda makes me wish Theo James was playing him in the live show ;-p

I guess this provides backstory for how witchers are created, and for Vesemir, as well as his origin story with Geralt, but I too wish we could have seen how Geralt ended up there, and why was he bald??? He definitely seemed like the standout candidate from the witcher kids though!

Edited by Ilovepie
  • Love 2
On 9/27/2021 at 6:12 AM, Ilovepie said:

Sure, but it just begs the question……

I assume his original hair fell of after the Trial of the Grasses. In earlier scenes we can see he's blond. After the trial they fell of and grew back white.   Just in case putting the rest in spoiler tag, but it's very minor.

Spoiler

In the books his hair turn white after the Trials, that's how the mutagens affected him.

• Useful 3

I enjoyed that but I have to say that I was taken aback at how gruesome it was.  So. Much. Blood.  I realize that they could pour it on (literally and figuratively) because it was animation but . . . it was a lot.  

That being said, I did enjoy learning Vesamir's origin story and the tale of his lost love, as well as getting some insight into the geopolitical landscape (including the bias against "low-born" women who marry up.)  This explains why the Witcher stong-hold/refuge/training camp is in such a wrecked state when we first see it in The Witcher.

You don't need to see this but if -- like me -- you greedily binged season 2 of The Witcher as soon as it came out, it's nice to have a wee tale containing some back-story to top off the meal. 

I watched this and really enjoyed it.o don't think you need to watch it to understand The Witcher I also don't know if having watched this adds anything to the Vesamir's character from. The Witcher. At this point they're almost separate characters to me.

Also, not sure I needed to see the Elf King "Fil" show up.  I would like to see Kitsu show up in The Witcher but, I think she's an Original Character so probably unlikely.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Useful 1