Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Desert Island

• Start Topic

I don't understand Sam. While he did the right thing in rejecting Chester's advances, he pretended like this was all in Chester's head with no encouragement from Sam. I don't know why Chester didn't call him on it and point out the bare-chest selfie Sam sent him.

Poor Greta and Riley. Riley, learn to read the room a bit. Maybe she did see that Greta was nervous but thought that she'd forget it at the sight of Riley naked. On Greta's part, I figured she wasn't ready for sex and/or wanted to be sure that this would be a relationship and not just a hookup, but she expressed it horribly. I understood why Riley was hurt and the actress really sold the shame and embarrassment Riley was feeling as she tried to get dressed again without exposing any more of herself to Greta. Running to Luz, not a great coping mechanism, but I get it.

The time in the motel really reminded me of my senior trip in Italy where we all drank and laughed and acted silly while the chaperone was with her husband. 

It’s nice to see the kids having fun. 

On 7/10/2021 at 11:49 PM, Black Knight said:

I don't understand Sam. While he did the right thing in rejecting Chester's advances, he pretended like this was all in Chester's head with no encouragement from Sam. I don't know why Chester didn't call him on it and point out the bare-chest selfie Sam sent him.

Poor Greta and Riley. Riley, learn to read the room a bit. Maybe she did see that Greta was nervous but thought that she'd forget it at the sight of Riley naked. On Greta's part, I figured she wasn't ready for sex and/or wanted to be sure that this would be a relationship and not just a hookup, but she expressed it horribly. I understood why Riley was hurt and the actress really sold the shame and embarrassment Riley was feeling as she tried to get dressed again without exposing any more of herself to Greta. Running to Luz, not a great coping mechanism, but I get it.

I think Sam pretended like it was all in Chester’s head because it was. Chester was catfishing him- pretending to be an ADULT MALE on a dating app.

Sam had no reason to think the person he was talking to was one of his students. Sam did the right thing being horrified and putting that boundary up immediately. There was no way Sam could say “well if you were my age I would choose you”; because you know Chester would take that as encouragement and continue to be inappropriate. 

Yeah- I think Greta really likes Riley and was afraid (emotionally) of what might happen between them. Riley is still a kid herself and wanted to be validated after her rejection. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think Sam pretended like it was all in Chester’s head because it was. Chester was catfishing him- pretending to be an ADULT MALE on a dating app.

I thought Sam knew it was him, but now that you bring it up, I do remember early on Chester showing Riley his picture for the site and how it was just his torso, no face.

Weird because it seemed like Chester felt their connection partly based on the messages they were sending each other, but Sam not knowing it was him should have made him see that differently.

9 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I thought Sam knew it was him, but now that you bring it up, I do remember early on Chester showing Riley his picture for the site and how it was just his torso, no face.

Weird because it seemed like Chester felt their connection partly based on the messages they were sending each other, but Sam not knowing it was him should have made him see that differently.

Yes, Chester did think their connection was based on the messages. He pretended to be an adult to be able to say all these things to Sam and “show him” how right they were for each other. When Chester had repeated a phrase he had messaged to Sam, Sam realized what happened and was appropriately horrified. Sam then put Chester in his place.

What did Chester really think would happen?? That Sam would be willing to break the law and lose his job over messages? Again Chester is a child…..

• Useful 1

Ah! Thanks for explaining. I should have paid better attention.

From day one Chester seemed oblivious to the impossibility of him and Sam as a couple. In a way I sort of like that, in that Chester is often presented as the most mature one of the group. But you look at the thing with Sam and realize that it's more that "most mature one" is just a low bar, as opposed to Chester being an adult in a teen's body. He mentions at one point that he's not far from legal age of consent, but that's strictly in the physical sense; psychologically, emotionally, mentally, he's nowhere near able to be in a relationship of equals with an adult man.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Ah! Thanks for explaining. I should have paid better attention.

From day one Chester seemed oblivious to the impossibility of him and Sam as a couple. In a way I sort of like that, in that Chester is often presented as the most mature one of the group. But you look at the thing with Sam and realize that it's more that "most mature one" is just a low bar, as opposed to Chester being an adult in a teen's body. He mentions at one point that he's not far from legal age of consent, but that's strictly in the physical sense; psychologically, emotionally, mentally, he's nowhere near able to be in a relationship of equals with an adult man.

it’s ok- with shows like this you do have to watch the phone screens for info  

Even if Chester was 18 or 17, he doesn’t seem to get Sam is his teacher and authority figure. Also over 30. This isn’t a case of a college kid doing his student teaching (which would still be inappropriate). 

Again, I can’t believe Chester talks to adults the way he does. I understand he thought Sam was attractive, but child sit down somewhere. 

On 7/11/2021 at 12:49 AM, Black Knight said:

I don't know why Chester didn't call him on it and point out the bare-chest selfie Sam sent him.

That selfie was sent via the app though. He had no idea it was to Chester. 

On 7/16/2021 at 9:43 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Sam had no reason to think the person he was talking to was one of his students. Sam did the right thing being horrified and putting that boundary up immediately. There was no way Sam could say “well if you were my age I would choose you”; because you know Chester would take that as encouragement and continue to be inappropriate. 

Exactly!

I worked with teenagers for many years and they all seem to think that the adults are into them and sending them secret signals. I had a former student of mine, who is in late 20s/early 30s now, recently tell me that I was flirting with him when he was in our program and that all his [dumbass] friends told him that I was soooooo into him.  I laughed so hard and told him that I was head over heels in love with an actual adult during that time and wasn't checking for anyone else, much less a 15 year old (wasted 6 years on that dude, but that's another story! Lol!). His response, "Well why did you talk to me so much about my life?" Me: "Because that was my job....." Fricken teenagers!

• LOL 1
6 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

That selfie was sent via the app though. He had no idea it was to Chester. 

Exactly!

I worked with teenagers for many years and they all seem to think that the adults are into them and sending them secret signals. I had a former student of mine, who is in late 20s/early 30s now, recently tell me that I was flirting with him when he was in our program and that all his [dumbass] friends told him that I was soooooo into him.  I laughed so hard and told him that I was head over heels in love with an actual adult during that time and wasn't checking for anyone else, much less a 15 year old (wasted 6 years on that dude, but that's another story! Lol!). His response, "Well why did you talk to me so much about my life?" Me: "Because that was my job....." Fricken teenagers!

I haven’t worked with teenagers, I remember in school there were a few teachers kids thought were super attractive, but we were in no way delusional that they were into us romantically. There was talk but we were always too scared to speak to adults the way these kids do!