Type keyword(s) to search

Archery and Shooting

• Start Topic

Americans placed first in both skeet shooting competitions. I don't know much about skeet shooting, but I watched the last rounds of both. I didn't even see the clay pigeons flying through the air until they were hit, when they exploded in bright pink powder.  It was more exciting to watch than someone slowly aiming at a target, adjusting, adjusting... wait... adjust.... etc. It was "pull... BAM BAM!"

The gold medal winners are:

Amber English - with an Olympic record - her first Olympics

Vincent Hancock - also an Olympic record; he also won gold in 2008 and 2012

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MaryMitch said:

Americans placed first in both skeet shooting competitions. I don't know much about skeet shooting, but I watched the last rounds of both. I didn't even see the clay pigeons flying through the air until they were hit, when they exploded in bright pink powder.  It was more exciting to watch than someone slowly aiming at a target, adjusting, adjusting... wait... adjust.... etc. It was "pull... BAM BAM!"

The gold medal winners are:

Amber English - with an Olympic record - her first Olympics

Vincent Hancock - also an Olympic record; he also won gold in 2008 and 2012

I saw Hancock win.  It looks pretty much like any skeet shooting you've ever seen on tv, but I guess I was hoping for more.  I feel the whole immediate BAM BAM made it less exciting.  All you could make out was the pink cloud of dust when the clay exploded.  I don't think I saw one zoomed in, slow motion replay.  Where the targets being shot from the same two positions?  Were they just crossing each other?  Were some of the being shot "out further" away from the shooter?  We have no idea.  All we saw was the shooter and then two pink clouds.  I would liked more explanation from the announcers.  Maybe some graphics to show where the pigeons were going.  I feel like in some of my video game playing days, playing these shoot 'em games, you would get more points if you waited until the skeet was almost gone.  (Or is it the opposite?)  Seems like these days you should be able to figure something like that out.  Depending on what zone you hit the pigeon in, you're awarded a certain amount of points.  It was just very boring to watch the BAM BAM and not even know exactly what we're watching.

Archery is self explanatory.  I would love to see what happens when an arrow hits another arrow.  Does it split it?  Does it bounce off of it?  A few times there were so many arrows in the 10 that I didn't understand why the judges don't remove them after each shot.